Home
Our regular feature highlighting close passes caught on camera from around the country – today it’s Birmingam ... again

We've hit entry number 57 in our Near Miss of the Day feature, but if you've been following it you'll know that they don't come in 57 varieties, with a lot of issues coming up again and again.

One of those is motorists who refuse to give cyclists space on roundabouts, whether that be by putting their foot down to accelerate onto the junction as a rider is approaching on it or - as in this case - overtaking on the roundabout then cutting up the cyclist to take an exit.

The video was taken by road.cc reader Daniel, who told us: "I contacted the police and they said they wouldn't do anything because no incident had occurred (because nobody got hurt) and that they'd only do anything if I had proof that the driver did it twice or more, or if I had suffered an injury.

"Apparently dangerous driving only counts if you do it twice," he added.

Over the years road.cc has reported on literally hundreds of close passes and near misses involving badly driven vehicles from every corner of the country – so many, in fact, that we’ve decided to turn the phenomenon into a regular feature on the site. One day hopefully we will run out of close passes and near misses to report on, but until that happy day arrives, Near Miss of the Day will keep rolling on.

If you’ve caught on camera a close encounter of the uncomfortable kind with another road user that you’d like to share with the wider cycling community please send it to us at info [at] road.cc or send us a message via the road.cc Facebook page.

If the video is on YouTube, please send us a link, if not we can add any footage you supply to our YouTube channel as an unlisted video (so it won't show up on searches).

Please also let us know whether you contacted the police and if so what their reaction was, as well as the reaction of the vehicle operator if it was a bus, lorry or van with company markings etc.

 

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

22 comments

Avatar
EK Spinner [83 posts] 3 months ago
13 likes

Not great driving BUT, if I was taking the third exit off a roundabout I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Avatar
Bluebug [310 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
EK Spinner wrote:

Not great driving BUT, if I was taking the third exit off a roundabout I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Yep neither party knows the correct way to use roundabouts.

Unfortunately as normal the cyclist nearly comes of worse due to both of their incorrect use.

Avatar
giff77 [1291 posts] 3 months ago
7 likes
Bluebug wrote:
EK Spinner wrote:

Not great driving BUT, if I was taking the third exit off a roundabout I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Yep neither party knows the correct way to use roundabouts.

Unfortunately as normal the cyclist nearly comes of worse due to both of their incorrect use.

cyclist was using the roundabout correctly. The HC advises that cyclists can use the outside lane if they are not confident with going to the inside. The motorist is advised that cyclists may be going right round the roundabout and that they are to be given priority. The motorist in this instance is a pratt and could have quite easily dropped behind the cyclist to exit. 

Avatar
burtthebike [1380 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes

The driver overtook somone on a roundabout, which frankly, is grounds for losing their licence.  Not only that, but they then turned left immediately in front of them.  There is no excuse for this, they clearly are not capable of driving safely and should be removed from the road for the safety of all of us.

Avatar
Bluebug [310 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
giff77 wrote:
Bluebug wrote:
EK Spinner wrote:

Not great driving BUT, if I was taking the third exit off a roundabout I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Yep neither party knows the correct way to use roundabouts.

Unfortunately as normal the cyclist nearly comes of worse due to both of their incorrect use.

cyclist was using the roundabout correctly. The HC advises that cyclists can use the outside lane if they are not confident with going to the inside. The motorist is advised that cyclists may be going right round the roundabout and that they are to be given priority.

Use a roundabout like a car  which means take primary position from the beginning. 

The cyclist was on the left hand side and if the car he was next to was going left he could have had problems.

Never presume a motorist will look left and in their left wing mirror when immediately joining a roundabout.

The driver of the car that did the left hook has clearly got problems with looking left,  as well as being unable to do slow smooth movements on a roundabout.

 

 

 

Avatar
don simon [1763 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
Bluebug wrote:
EK Spinner wrote:

Not great driving BUT, if I was taking the third exit off a roundabout I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Yep neither party knows the correct way to use roundabouts.

Unfortunately as normal the cyclist nearly comes of worse due to both of their incorrect use.

We don't know what hand signal the rider was using.

There's nothing inherently wrong with overtaking on a roundabout.

The car should have waited and not cut across the bike, and was wrong in doing so. They were probably pissed off that the bike undertook them filtered at the junction to the roundabout and could foresee seconds of delay if they got stuck behind the cyclist.

I've been told that we should suck it up as this is the way of the world, we should be more understanding of the poor, put upon drivers. The rider should have politely stopped in order for the driver to get on his/her merry way without convenience.

I conclude that it was 100% the rider's fault for being selfish.

HTH.

Avatar
Bluebug [310 posts] 3 months ago
1 like
burtthebike wrote:

The driver overtook somone on a roundabout, which frankly, is grounds for losing their licence.

Don't be silly.  

If I stand at the end of my road near the large roundabout I see it happen all the time.  

The reason there aren't crashes and those on bikes aren't injured/killed  is because some of the vehicles that use it are rather large plus there are pedestrians including children crossing,  so motorists go slowly.

In fact stand near any roundabout in the UK for 20 minutes  and you will be end up shaking your head due to the poor standard of driving.  This gives the police an excuse to do SFA when things on roundabouts that don't result in injury or death are reported to them.

Avatar
Steve Cooper [15 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes

Fairly normal for that roundabout.  I’ve had issues driving round it.  

Avatar
Goldfever4 [396 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
EK Spinner wrote:

I would not start out in the left gutter on the inside of a car

Me neither, I can't see why anyone would think that's a good idea

Avatar
alansmurphy [1650 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes

Don, is this what you'd consider filtering?

Filtering to me is taking a position between the cars to go forwards but remaining in the correct position when you come to the junction. For the sake of 3 cars the cyclist has put themselves in the gutter to take the third lane. Would have been interested to see what cyclist would have done if any of the cars were signalling left.

Still a dick move from the Megane but road cc are starting to share videos that should fall under the "close pass after cyclist puts themselves in danger"...

Avatar
beezus fufoon [973 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

10 seconds in - the right hand lane is clear - just overtake and assert yourself going into the roundabout...

alternatively, you could always have a pre-made gravestone with "the meek shall inherit the earth" inscribed on it

Avatar
rdmp2 [28 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes

This video is exactly how I would describe filtering- moving up the inside of slow moving/stationary traffic. Surely the cyclist shouldn't be taking the third (or fourth...?) exit at a roundabout from a road position hugging the left hand curb? I'd be in the middle of the lane at least so no car could get past me then move left on reaching my exit

 

alansmurphy wrote:

Don, is this what you'd consider filtering? Filtering to me is taking a position between the cars to go forwards but remaining in the correct position when you come to the junction. For the sake of 3 cars the cyclist has put themselves in the gutter to take the third lane. Would have been interested to see what cyclist would have done if any of the cars were signalling left. Still a dick move from the Megane but road cc are starting to share videos that should fall under the "close pass after cyclist puts themselves in danger"...

Avatar
a1white [78 posts] 3 months ago
2 likes

100% the drivers fault, but I wouldn't have filtered down the inside of a car at a busy roundabout like that. Just stay behind it. The advise to stick to the outside of the roundabout is dangerous, in my opinion. Safer to stay in primary and position yourself the same way a car would. This makes it safer for everyone, with car drivers more likely to see you and know where you are going.

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [1695 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes

We all complain about drivers not wanting to lose precious seconds stuck behind us but then act like bikes don't have brakes and can't ever stop. Rider would have been better not moving down the inside for the sake of a few yards.

Avatar
Wolfshade [211 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Rule 77

You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane you should

  • be aware that drivers may not easily see you
  • take extra care when cycling across exits. You may need to signal right to show you are not leaving the roundabout
  • watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout.

I was unaware of this rule before looking at this, I tend to take islands (since this is a Brummie incident) like a car, so while I may have taken the 3rd exit from the left lane it would have been from the middle. 

Rule 77 does seem to suggest that as riders we should be aware of left-hooks, I'm not sure if this has ever been tested in law to see how far our responsibility extends, it must be noted, that this is a should not a must and so would suggest that there majority of responsibility would be on the driver turnning across the cyclists.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

Rule 187

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

  • pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
  • long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

So there we have it, while 77 provides ambiguity, 187 shows that the cyclist should be given the right of way and not been impeded.

Avatar
Sevenfold [82 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

If the poster is on here, don;t just accept the initial response you got from the Police. Get the video to

Traffic Process Office (RTC)

PO Box 16689

Lloyd House

2 Colmore Circus

Queensway

Birmingham

B2 2PY

These people do act & I cannot praise them highly enough. For other posters always speak to the TPO for your local force not just anyone.  Dial 101 & ask to be put through to them.

Avatar
rdmp2 [28 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for this- I was not aware that cyclists were permitted to take right turning exits from the left hand lane. Can't say I'd fancy doing so either, but I stand corrected

 

Wolfshade wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Rule 77

You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane you should

  • be aware that drivers may not easily see you
  • take extra care when cycling across exits. You may need to signal right to show you are not leaving the roundabout
  • watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout.

I was unaware of this rule before looking at this, I tend to take islands (since this is a Brummie incident) like a car, so while I may have taken the 3rd exit from the left lane it would have been from the middle. 

Rule 77 does seem to suggest that as riders we should be aware of left-hooks, I'm not sure if this has ever been tested in law to see how far our responsibility extends, it must be noted, that this is a should not a must and so would suggest that there majority of responsibility would be on the driver turnning across the cyclists.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

Rule 187

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

  • pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
  • long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

So there we have it, while 77 provides ambiguity, 187 shows that the cyclist should be given the right of way and not been impeded.

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1973 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes

Given what's been said about 'it's not safe to go round on the outside', what do people make of this cycle lane?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4033596,-0.1611483,3a,75y,56.39h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soYFvD9qanlGALiMnKn9akQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?dcr=0

Avatar
alansmurphy [1650 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

It's shit, only gives one exit option and is the lady in the blue car smoking or about to make a call?

Avatar
don simon [1763 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Given what's been said about 'it's not safe to go round on the outside', what do people make of this cycle lane? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4033596,-0.1611483,3a,75y,56.39h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soYFvD9qanlGALiMnKn9akQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?dcr=0

That cycle lane would appear to affect just the one entry and one exit and isn't wrong. The driver that insists that cyclists use cycle paths is wrong.

I'd ride that like I ride all roundabouts. I'd still take primary position around and ride it like any car would use it, with little or no filtering, yes filtering, at the entry.

Avatar
markysd [15 posts] 3 months ago
1 like
don simon wrote:
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Given what's been said about 'it's not safe to go round on the outside', what do people make of this cycle lane? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4033596,-0.1611483,3a,75y,56.39h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soYFvD9qanlGALiMnKn9akQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?dcr=0

That cycle lane would appear to affect just the one entry and one exit and isn't wrong. The driver that insists that cyclists use cycle paths is wrong.

I'd ride that like I ride all roundabouts. I'd still take primary position around and ride it like any car would use it, with little or no filtering, yes filtering, at the entry.

Although the lane isn’t necessarily wrong, it is a good example of how infrastructure  a painted line, designed to improve safety for cyclists, can potentially have the opposite effect. 

-It encourages the rider to filter on the inside of a dangerous vehicle, that may be turning left, by providing a false sense of protection.

-The line taken when following the lane may give the impression that the rider is taking the first left. Potentially this may result in a left hook or the driver waiting to join the roundabout at the next exit mistakingly believe the rider has turned. 

-The line the lane takes is away from the eyeline of a driver waiting to join the roundabout when looking for traffic that is already on the roundabout or is joining from the right. 

- The line often results in drivers being too close to the cyclist as they believe just being on their side of the line is enough clearance. 

-Increases the chance of conflict between drivers and cyclists wishing to take the roundabout without using the lane. There may even an assumption that the cyclist will be using the lane. 

 

Yes these risks can be, and should be, mitigated by careful, considerate and observational driving.... we can but dream!

 

Looking at it again, notice the line the bus is taking through that 2nd exit.  That exit is narrow, has a pinch point and is followed immediately by a left bend yet a cycle lane has been painted there which just encourages unsafe overtaking!

Avatar
alansmurphy [1650 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

The pinch point isn't that bad, just lazy bus driving, seems the small car in front of it fared no better.

 

Wonder if you see bad driving on every single Street View?!