Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TECH NEWS

Silca’s compact torque multitool exceeds Kickstarter funding goal

Silca's clever torque multitool gains Kickstarter funding

Silca, a manufacturer of some of the finest and most expensive tools, has taken to Kickstarter to get funding for its latest multitool. And it’s been successful, with $163,177 pledged so far with 22 days to go, far exceeding its now modest $22,000 goal. 

What’s all the fuss about? It’s the T-Ratchet multitool and Ti-Torque adapter, a lightweight, compact and adjustable torque wrench for safely tightening the bolts on your bike to the correct torque setting. 

Most high-end components, especially lightweight and carbon fibre parts, have a recommended torque setting for the assembly bolts. This is to prevent damage to the component from excessive tightening.

silca kickstarter tool3.jpg

Silca has developed a compact and easily transportable torque tool - it’s small enough to go in a jersey pocket or saddlebag - because it claims that 70% of all damage to components happens because of adjustments made on the road, with a multitool. 

The Ti-Torque features a 6Al/4V titanium torsion beam and is calibrated with 2, 4, 6 and 8Nm settings, and fits into the T-Ratchet multitool, a T-bar shaped tool with a ratchet for easy fastening of bolts, and can be configured with short or long reach handles. The ratchet has a 72-tooth forged and hardened mechanism providing five-degree engagement. 

silca kickstarter new tool 1.jpg

“Traditional multi-tools may be good for making some adjustments, but when it comes to properly applying torque, the small size, difficult ergonomics, and often poor fitting or flexible tools make it impossible for even the most experienced user to 'feel' the torque they are applying,” says the company.

“Ti-Torque solves the portable torque measurement problem in a 100 x 12mm package weighing only 30 grams and capable of reading 2-8Nm of torque with better accuracy than most click-type home torque tools.  As the Ti-Torque becomes loaded, the internal Titanium beam deflects allowing the live torque measurement to be read on the side of the tool. “

silca kickstarter tool1.jpg

Kickstarter used to be reserved for inventors to get new ideas off the ground, now we’re increasingly seeing established companies using it as a marketing tool, and a way of gauging interest in new products. 

Silca is using Kickstarter, in its own words, to accelerate the tooling and production so it can deliver finished units before the end of the year. The tool comes with a case and 10 bits for all the most common bolts you’ll find on a road bike.

Even though the campaign has smashed its original goal, you can still support it and get your hands on the tool when it’s produced, with a $85 pledge getting you a tool. Shipping is free in the US, and $5 to anywhere in the world.

Check it out here www.kickstarter.com

David worked on the road.cc tech team from 2012-2020. Previously he was editor of Bikemagic.com and before that staff writer at RCUK. He's a seasoned cyclist of all disciplines, from road to mountain biking, touring to cyclo-cross, he only wishes he had time to ride them all. He's mildly competitive, though he'll never admit it, and is a frequent road racer but is too lazy to do really well. He currently resides in the Cotswolds, and you can now find him over on his own YouTube channel David Arthur - Just Ride Bikes

Add new comment

9 comments

Avatar
muffies | 7 years ago
0 likes

This looked sexy at first, but thinking about it...

 

- lots of nm settings up to 8 while only ~5nm is useful. in that range. The step torque thing is funny. If you've ever done it, you know you require the torque measurement only for the last set, so, 5nm. Also, physics on your side with this one (the goal is to apply similar pressure on all 4 bolts so that the handle bar does not disform under pressure... which it cant once there is any pressure)

- weight of tool is not listed, but i suspect its a little heavier than regular multis. See, the torque attachement is titanium but its activated by magnets and theres quite a mechanism inside.

- will ship in dec

-  Ritchey Multi-Torqkey costs 18GBP and is probably same weight or lighter.. sure doesn't look as nice, but ... its a tool, it works

- you're still going to want a chain breaker anyway

So basically you'd end up with the silca tool + another multi, take the multi on rides and keep the silca at home/travel bag. Cool, but then again the 18GBP tool is a much better option in that case, or even a 100GBP 5-45nm tool which can actually do more than the seat post, brakes and handlebar screws.

 

So yeah, no matter how sexy that tool is, unless it was ~50gr (which they'd claim high and loud) so that you always have it with you + a separte chain breaker, its not all that useful IMO.

Avatar
ShaneAtSilca replied to muffies | 7 years ago
1 like

muffies wrote:

 

- weight of tool is not listed, but i suspect its a little heavier than regular multis. See, the torque attachement is titanium but its activated by magnets and theres quite a mechanism inside.

 

So yeah, no matter how sexy that tool is, unless it was ~50gr (which they'd claim high and loud) so that you always have it with you + a separte chain breaker, its not all that useful IMO.

Hey Muffies -   

A quick note on weights -  I think we are going to be very competitive with the average multi-tool, and much lighter than anything with similar measurement range.  (We can argue about whether being able to measure more than just 5 Nm is important another time! )

Combined weights for the T-Ratchet and the Torque Extension is right at 92 grams on the current round of protypes.

For comparison, while I don't know off hand what the Ritchey torque key's weigh, the (similar) plastic 4 Nm click type from CDI I have sitting on my desk right now is 106 grams, while the pile of folding multi tools I have laying around range from 86 to 122g, and obviously none of the folding tools include any kind of torque measurement.

 

Best,

Shane

 

Avatar
hawkinspeter replied to ShaneAtSilca | 7 years ago
0 likes

ShaneAtSilca wrote:

muffies wrote:

 

- weight of tool is not listed, but i suspect its a little heavier than regular multis. See, the torque attachement is titanium but its activated by magnets and theres quite a mechanism inside.

 

So yeah, no matter how sexy that tool is, unless it was ~50gr (which they'd claim high and loud) so that you always have it with you + a separte chain breaker, its not all that useful IMO.

Hey Muffies -   

A quick note on weights -  I think we are going to be very competitive with the average multi-tool, and much lighter than anything with similar measurement range.  (We can argue about whether being able to measure more than just 5 Nm is important another time! )

Combined weights for the T-Ratchet and the Torque Extension is right at 92 grams on the current round of protypes.

For comparison, while I don't know off hand what the Ritchey torque key's weigh, the (similar) plastic 4 Nm click type from CDI I have sitting on my desk right now is 106 grams, while the pile of folding multi tools I have laying around range from 86 to 122g, and obviously none of the folding tools include any kind of torque measurement.

 

Best,

Shane

 

For reference, the IceToolz Ocarina is claimed to be 88g including bits. The Topeak nano torqbar is claimed to be 62g but only operates at a specific torque.

However, that Silca one looks very nice indeed which is why I've pre-ordered/sponsored one despite the price.

Avatar
hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm such a sucker for multi-tools. I've already got an IceToolz Ocarina lightweight torque wrench, so I thought I'd skip this one. Then I thought about it, looked at the pictures and just couldn't resist sponsoring this one as well. It wouldn't be so bad, but I've already got one of those Topeak pre-set 5nm drivers.

Avatar
tritecommentbot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hmm... when you put it like that..

Probably best just buying a high end torque wrench, which is what I do need more than a portable one. Can get a brill one for around 80 quid and will actually use it lots. 

 

Tempted but not for me this time.

Avatar
KiwiMike replied to tritecommentbot | 8 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Hmm... when you put it like that..

Probably best just buying a high end torque wrench, which is what I do need more than a portable one. Can get a brill one for around 80 quid and will actually use it lots. 

 

Tempted but not for me this time.

I have 6 torque tools, none of which are really handy for taking along.

Going from 2-8NM is a very handy range - once you go beyond 8NM there's pretty much pedals, and bigger stuff. Possibly seat rail clamps, but TBH those are probably the least torque-specific things on a bike. Fitting completely into a jersey pocket has to be almost unique. Can't say I'd be carrying it on every ride (once your bike is set up and everything torqued/loc-tite'd), why would you need to?

But for any ride with a new bit of kit or after a rebuild where you've maybe not got that set of bars etc dialled back in, a good option. 

Other question would be: do you *know* what all yor bolt settings are? many bolts are unmarked...

Avatar
ooldbaker | 8 years ago
2 likes

You could also be charged VAT at 20% as well as the £70/£100 when clearing customs plus the carriers clearance fee perhaps another £10.

You are often lucky and they forget but best to be prepared.

Avatar
KiwiMike | 8 years ago
1 like

Done. Backed. £70 worth of lovely there. Thanks for the heads-up.

...mind you, by the time they come to take the money it'll be more like £100 the way thnings are going.

Avatar
rkemb | 8 years ago
1 like

"with a $42 pledge getting you a tool" -- this gets you the basic ratchet tool. To get the torque measuring attachment, you need to pledge $80...

Latest Comments