Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Please, give ideas regarding saddle!

Hello, everyone! Much appreciate giving some attention and \ or comments to this post.
Straigh to the business - My seatbones measured ~12cm distance;
Currently i test all saddles at my home trainer setup, during ~1hour long workout.
All my saddles are ~143mm, have not tried ~130 and dont have a clue if that will make a difference.
Currently for the saddles types i have and my impressions:

With cutout: Prologo Dimension (not NDR version), Selle SanMarco Shortfit Dynamic - bones start to hurt after around ~20km of non stop ride, the longer the worse.
Also, have ali-express replica of Spec Toupe, bare carbon with thinnest padding layer. First 2 times of riding it for 1 hour long it seemed me less pain then those above, but on the 3rd ride - it was all the same, even worse.

Super thick padding - SMP Trk Medium, with cutout. This saddle is soft for sure, no bones pain, it just doesnt feel comfy overall, like its too soft for ass soft tissue, donno... Also it is curved, seems i need flat.

Tried Selle Italia Diva Gel from my girlfriend`s bike - bones were mostly fine but i felt some strange `pulling` somewhere in pelvis, didnt like that, but maybe i need to try to settle it for some time more

Was able to find saddle-for-rent service in my region - i tried several Fizik Antares variations and Fizik Tempo Argo - they all had equal padding so that made no difference - all uncomfortable.

My saddle height is ok, i lean forwards a lot and try to spend more time in aero, so i sit very sportive, so that my bones take very little of my weight actually. My problem might be, that my fat % is quite low for 84kg and 187cm - my ass is all soft tissue, muscles.

My goal is to be able to spin without unmounting my bike for minimum 60km without any pain, cause this is road race distance in my region + i need to sit for a 2 hours in a row on my home bike trainer soon.

I look for someone who has similar body complexion and went through similar saddle search, and have finally found fitting saddle...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sitting on a home trainer is somewhat different to riding outdoors. I've been happy for hours on most saddles I've ever tried outside but 1.5hours is about my limit indoors. Outside, you might not feel it or be making conscious judgements but you're moving the bike beneath you, adjusting for corners, potholes, gear changes etc. These micro adjustments make a saddle a different proposition outside compared to indoors where you are likely sat in the same position most of the time. Yeah you might shuffle a little or stand up occasionally but it's not the same. The saddle I use on bikes outdoors I don't think I would want to use indoors. I have a slightly more padded one with a cut out indoors.

I think trying them on the static bike first will lead to you discounting a lot of saddles that would be very good outside.

Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think you need to keep searching, try some different brands.   Completely different shape and rider to you but I know from experience Selle Italia havent yet made a saddle that works for me whereas my ass can work with nearly everything else.

Have a bit of an ebay frenzy on used/tatty versions of 2-3 different brands then re-Ebay anything thats not nice for your butt, and get a new version of whatever works.   Don't worry about going for the high end versions as they generally lose weight via less padding and different rail material.   Just get the bog standard cromo ones and upgrade if wanted later.

TheBillder replied to Secret_squirrel | 3 years ago
0 likes

Very much agree with the eBay idea and the suggestion of buying a new example once you find something you like. I've been through a Selle TRK medium, very fat, a Drakan (too thin) a Specialized something (too angular), a couple that came with bikes and borrowed from friends. Current favourite is a Madison Flux (slightly more padded Charge Spoon) that I bought new as they are too cheap already to make sense on eBay.

It's not perfect, and I do notice some saddles work better with some shorts. I also shift on the saddle a lot, standing up, stretching glutes and so on. If you are sitting still for such a long time, perhaps a touring saddle or a Brooks might help. Not very roadie but no one can see you indoors...

Capablanca replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you and to Secret_squirrel!
I think thats a great idea - i will just buy some ultra-wide touring saddle, or Brooks for indoor suffering! Will look to Charge and Madison as well!

ALl the best you guys, be healthy!

nniff | 3 years ago
0 likes

The clue is in the name - it's a saddle, not a seat. If you're sittting in the same position without moving then all the pressure is going to be taken by the same points in your backside and the nerves are going to start to tell you that you need to move.   Alternatively, you need a seat that spreads the load and allows you to sit in the same position for longer.  It might look like this:

https://www.123rf.com/photo_23309251_red-round-vintage-tractor-seat.html

Capablanca replied to nniff | 3 years ago
0 likes

lol )))

Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

2 hours sat in the same position?

That must be boring.

I find I can sit on most saddles regardless of sit bones due to spending lots of time fidgeting about on my ride. So, I'll be more on the nose of the saddle when climbing, or stood up, but as far back as I can get when descending.

I think your problem is exacerbated by doing specific indoor cycling and whatever saddle you choose now might not be the saddle you need once you are back outdoors.

Capablanca replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
0 likes

So, you mean i should always change my position to avoid pain? 
well, it is what i do for spint \ climb simulation, but more that that, i am forced to microshift all the time to easen the pain, that is distructing...

You suggest, that i should find saddle that helps me sit on my indoor trainer most comfortably -> i will not have any problems with this saddle outdoors?

Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

If your focus is currently on indoor training, and you're looking to do TT-like efforts maybe consider a TT specific saddle? My understanding is that they promote/allow a much more aggressive position compared to a 'standard' road saddle.

Capablanca replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for answer!
Well, it maybe a good move, but what about post-pandemic? I will still have to find "outdoor" saddle - cause i cannot ride aero\TT style all the time in city, when i`m outdoor. Then again, will i be able to sit it TT position a whole 1-2 hours and feel no pain on such TT saddle? Cause in my current problems, even when i lean forward to aero, i still feel discomfort.

Compact Corned Beef replied to Capablanca | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think once you're outdoors again it'll be worth evaluating again. If you find you're moving around a lot more, then the search starts all over again. But if it works for you then no worries. Maybe also have a think about your bibs and when on the road try and give yourself little breaks out of the saddle every now and then.

Capablanca replied to Compact Corned Beef | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you very much! I will try your approach :3

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

If you sit in your favourite armchair for 2 hours it will feel bloody uncomfortable. Are you looking after the basics like making sure you do out of saddle/stretches regularly? If you do group rides and sit in for a while it is amazing how much the average rider fidgets around, which helps to alleviate the pressure naturally. Turbo sessions can end up as a 2 hour slump, which few saddle/short combos can cope with.

Capablanca replied to bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for answer!
Well, i cant say that i ever feel pain or discomfort on casual furniture. Troubles are only with bike saddles, everything else is toleratable.

Mmm, do u mean, that instead of searching for optimal padding, i need to get a habit to, lets say - stand up from saddle (while still riding) and stretch my butt?
Do you mean, that there is no other way to remove pain?
Why nobody widely talks about that? Cause i though, that THERE is optimal saddle for anyone, that person must not even care about saddle underneath him! I though it is essential to forget that there is saddle at all... Damn, i swear, in my childhood, at shitty bike, 20 years ago, i was in a saddle for a minimum of hour and there were no any problems with saddle...

bobbinogs replied to Capablanca | 3 years ago
0 likes

20 years ago when you could spend an hour in the saddle without discomfort I suspect that was riding outdoors?  If so that is exactly my point, that riding outdoors is so variable in nature that many riders make lots of little adjustments for balance, sight, out of the saddle, etc., without even realising it and that all helps to keep things comfortable.  If you are on the turbo, the common thing to do is to settle into a position and then hold it static for an hour or two which is a real killer for your butt.  Hence, stress not.  Learn to keep some variety in your turbo sessions (some HITT sessions will force you to get out of your comfort zone, for example, and give you a big gain for the little time) and re-evaluate things when you can get back out or you could end up with a saddle that is great for the way you turbo, but doesn't work for you on the road.  

Capablanca replied to bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ok, i think i just need more variery in positions on trainer indoors in this case, i will try it... And still will experiment with saddles, i guess...
Thank you!

Latest Comments