Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Murder by car?

I'm still trying to understand what if any logic applies around Death By Careless, Death By Dangerous Driving - now here's a possible murder charge. It will be interesting to see where this goes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59367657

Apparently "the man may have been involved in an altercation with the occupants of the Audi moments before the collision". Doesn't seem to work if you're on a bicycle though - although you might just get a longer "Death By Dangerous Driving" sentence for that kind of thing if you're sufficiently offensive to the court.

For comparison - other incidents:

Attempted murder and a very long sentence (the chap who drove into a nightclub): https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/10/man-who-drove-car-on-to-packed-dancefloor-jailed-for-28-years-blakes-gravesend

Manslaughter: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/man-convicted-of-manslaughter-after-driving-at-victim-in-erith/

Death By Dangerous Driving (similar in that there was an altercation first): https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/road-rage-thug-jailed-after-20469648

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've been wondering if there are any parallels with the death of Halyena Hutchins on the set of Rust. Both involve potentially deadly weapons and it will be interesting to see who is held to account.

Hirsute replied to Bungle_52 | 2 years ago
1 like

Different country, different legal system.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Pretty sure it will be ruled self-defense.

(I expect the set Armorer might be done under industrial accident type legislation if anyone is done. Afterall it is her responsibility to ensure the guns onset are used correctly and not loaded when not in use.)

chrisonabike replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

Unrelated to bikes now but a very recent legal case there suggests that:

a) The US is in as much of a mess with guns and their regulation as we are with cars and:

b) Most places bringing a gun to the party or having one with you is perfectly fine. Then anyone who you perceive as a threat can be killed with little consequence. Goes double for cops / "security" people and the colour of the victim can still count in your favour.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, don't want to open a can of worms on the right and wrong of the actions and trial verdict, but was surprised it is totally legal for someone to buy a gun at 18 for a 17yo from another state, especially as it would have been illegal if it was beers or fireworks. 

chrisonabike replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

Yes, don't want to open a can of worms on the right and wrong of the actions and trial verdict, but was surprised it is totally legal for someone to buy a gun at 18 for a 17yo from another state, especially as it would have been illegal if it was beers or fireworks.

Yeah - the norms of other cultures are often surprising. Much of the US is still treats alcohol like we would weapons. Seems common for countries to have one or two particular issues which become a "freedom and rights" thing - likely for historic reasons. Don't try to restrict the rights of hunters (La chasse) in France, for example!

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
2 likes

My understanding of how it is meant to work, based on https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/homicide-murder-and-manslaughter and https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-charging:

If there's no intent to hurt, then death by careless/dangerous driving, followed by manslaughter, depending on exactly how bad the driving was. My understanding is that death by careless/dangerous driving essentially exist because juries wouldn't convict drivers of manslaughter, and now manslaughter is reserved for the most egregious cases. I would argue manslaughter ought to be used more commonly, especially when drink/drugs are involved. 

If there is intent, then murder/attempted murder/GBH with intent etc. The relevant charge depends on both the outcome and the extent to which intent can be demonstrated. There is a slight oddity that you can be convicted of murder if you only intended to hurt the victim (but they died as a result) where as attempted murder requires intent specifically to kill. Attempted GBH doesn't have quite the same ring to it but it is another available charge. 

But the examples you give do seem to contradict that. The Erith case - it appears to be well established that the perpetrator deliberately drove into the victims, and therefore I don't see why that was charged as manslaughter and not murder.

The nightclub case - I'm suprised they got (two) attempted murder charges to stick given that the prosectuion would have had to convince the jury beyond reasonable doubt that the perpetrator intended to kill people, not just seriously injure. 

Manchester case - seems like it ought to have been murder if you ask me (and indeed he was initially arrested on suspicion of murder). 

chrisonabike replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
1 like

This is exactly why I got interested. I appreciate that having enough flexibility to deal with the messiness of the world (and indeed the law...) is often a point in favour of our legal system. Here however the mishmash of overlapping potential charges seems to work to the detriment of "fairness" (e.g. that "similar" cases - as much as you can say that - should merit similar charges and comparable outcomes if found guilty).

Maybe I have overly high expectations of the legal system though? I mean, I read "The Secret Barrister" and not all of that came as a surprise given what I'd heard from a barrister friend, but...

The case of the car driven into the nightclub is an outlier - as you say others have deliberately driven into a particular individual and received a wide range of lesser charges / sentences. Presumably this was seen as "clearly had designs on mass murder"?

At the end of the day the relative positions of cycling / motoring in our culture are probably enough to make the difference. Killing in a motor vehicle - whatever the circumstances almost always mean any punishment will be substantially less relative to killing by any other means.

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
3 likes

It seems to me (not as a lawyer) that even if you did not intend to injure, anybody driving a 2 ton metal object should reasonably understand and foresee that carelessness/stupidity/incompetence when in charge of said object has a realistic possibility of hurting someone. Thus, a manslaughter charge seems appropriate.

If it was announced that drivers who killed a cyclist could reasonably expect to be pursued for manslaughter unless they can show why that charge isn't applicable (i.e. the onus is on the driver to prove it was a genuine 'accident'), then driving in this country would improve exponentially.

chrisonabike replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
0 likes

Recoveryride wrote:

[ ... ] even if you did not intend to injure, anybody driving a 2 ton metal object should reasonably understand and foresee that carelessness/stupidity/incompetence when in charge of said object has a realistic possibility of hurting someone. Thus, a manslaughter charge seems appropriate.

Agree with the principle. I really must read up on it but I think one of the points of bringing in "Death by Dangerous Driving" / "Careless" was to try to tone down the "intent" aspect because no-one was getting convicted for manslaughter and certainly not murder. However it seems to have crept back in. In recent cases it seems that just "not noticing" / "not recalling what happened" is sufficient defence. Certainly there is a requirement to prove that it was the motorist's fault (e.g. "cyclist just fell over and I couldn't avoid them" or "they just appeared in front of me" sometimes get you off).

Recoveryride wrote:

If it was announced that drivers who killed a cyclist could reasonably expect to be pursued for manslaughter unless they can show why that charge isn't applicable (i.e. the onus is on the driver to prove it was a genuine 'accident'), then driving in this country would improve exponentially.

Cynically I don't think that manslaughter will ever stick. As for proving the charge is not applicable it's not important as I think that without major changes the law will always require the prosecution to prove this wasn't just "an accident".

I disagree that this would improve driving much:

Chance of detection, charging and actual conviction have a role in any "negative reinforcement" of a law. These are all currently very low.

Those of evil intent probably won't care about the law. Those who are "criminally negligent" will likely neglect the law too. The majority of drivers are just fallible humans. They didn't set out that day to kill, they weren't angry at you, they were just not paying enough attention / up to the standard that day. Knowing themselves that they aren't criminals they won't be much motivated by new laws.

Recoveryride replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
1 like

chrisonatrike wrote:

Cynically I don't think that manslaughter will ever stick. As for proving the charge is not applicable it's not important as I think that without major changes the law will always require the prosecution to prove this wasn't just "an accident".

I disagree that this would improve driving much:

Chance of detection, charging and actual conviction have a role in any "negative reinforcement" of a law. These are all currently very low.

Those of evil intent probably won't care about the law. Those who are "criminally negligent" will likely neglect the law too. The majority of drivers are just fallible humans. They didn't set out that day to kill, they weren't angry at you, they were just not paying enough attention / up to the standard that day. Knowing themselves that they aren't criminals they won't be much motivated by new laws.

I don't disagree with the psychology.

It is interesting, though, that away from driving, if my actions very clearly result in someone's death or serious injury, I need a very good justification for them. Also, the UK is very much in the minority (in Europe) in not having a presumed liability law: IIRC, only Cyprus and Ireland (as well as the UK) do not require the less vulnerable user to demonstrate that they were not at fault. I'm sure Boardman has campaigned for it, and it would be a simple enough legal move. But, of course, there isn't the popular call for it in a country where cycling is still slightly fringe (ironically, not least because of the widespread perception that the roads  are dangerous for cyclists).

chrisonabike replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
3 likes

[ presumed liability ]

This one keeps coming up. My understanding - and I'm happy to be corrected - is that anywhere it's applied this only applies to civil claims e.g. insurance stuff. It's not a principle in criminal cases. Lots of folks [1], [2], [3] have written about this not doing what some campaigners think it does.

GMBasix replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
2 likes

That's right, it's civil liability for insurance purposes.  

I don't think it is what makes the difference.  Let's face it, with an estimated 1m drivers every day without insurance, 4m admitting driving without MOT, and 634k cars unlicensed, there's quite a pool for whom liability is not a major consideration.

There seems to be a correlation between enlightened attitudes towards cycling and presumed liability, but I think that relationship is association, not causation.

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
4 likes

I find it utterly bizarre that there's such an acceptance that drivers can easily not be in control of their vehicle or be unaware of what's around them and it's considered to be just one of those things.

So many RTCs are considered to be unintentional which raises the question of what the drivers are doing. Imagine a building site that doesn't bother separating builders from the public and then picture if you will, a brick-layer working high up and occasionally dropping bricks by "accident".

"Sorry mate, I didn't see you walking down there - I was busy smoothing out some mortar and didn't realise I'd dropped a brick"

"The sun was in my eyes so I couldn't possibly have seen that crowd of school-kids walking along when I decided to drop that bucket of cement"

"Listen, I need to get on with building work, so maybe any pedestrians coming along here should be wearing helmets as I obviously can't look below every time I drop something"

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
3 likes

Agree - but like so many things in a culture most people don't see them, they're just "one of those things" and you get on with your day. Only those in some way standing "outside" and looking in will notice. And they (we here) tend to be in a minority.

brooksby replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
2 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

Agree - but like so many things in a culture most people don't see them, they're just "one of those things" and you get on with your day. Only those in some way standing "outside" and looking in will notice. And they (we here) tend to be in a minority.

Look at the way much road violence is reported - as if it's the weather or some other natural occurence rather than a consequence of somebody's (lack of) driving skills and decision making.

wycombewheeler replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I find it utterly bizarre that there's such an acceptance that drivers can easily not be in control of their vehicle or be unaware of what's around them and it's considered to be just one of those things.

https://beyondthekerb.org.uk/the-incompetence-paradox/

Indeed, complete incompetance succesfully used as a defence against a charge of dangerous driving.

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
5 likes

There is no logic and illustrates the flaw that politicians love creating ever more specific crimes when existing ones will do.  So occasionally a child killer will get locked up for a little longer than an adult killer.  Conversely hundreds of assaulting and killer drivers will get a slap on the wrist because the instrument of assault/death was a car, rather than say a 5kg sledgehammer or a knife.

Assault is assault and death is death - the circumstances and extent are important - the actual weapon that dealt out that should be irrelevant.

chrisonabike replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
1 like

Yeah - I think we often overlook the fact that systems have to be self-sustaining and that a lot of their activity and energy has very little to do with what we conceive their "purpose" to be. So making law (politics) has lots to do with the struggles of politicians / political parties to stay on top. Those in the legal system itself all have their own ends, not least of which is hanging on to their jobs! If you set yourself against common cultural norms and prejudices you're probably not going to win many cases, get promotion at the CPS or progress far as a judge...

Latest Comments