Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hit-and-run driver who killed motorcyclist jailed for 24 years

https://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/21869394.disqualified-driver-kill...

Most of us lament the lenient sentences handed out to killer drivers so I thought this might show justice can be served sometimes. 

It seems the long sentece was because he was convicted of multiple other offences but at least the grieving family and friends don't have to see the killer merely slapped on the wrist and sent off to continue with their life consequence free.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Aah, the Brexit "implementation" problem.  A bit like sewage on the beach - for a clean beach, you need less sewage or best of all no sewage. There is no "good" sewage that can replace the bad. 

With that said, and while we wait for the OP to explain where things should have gotten to by now if Brexit had but been done properly, let me fill the void for a bit.

The Brexiter "implementation" argument usually runs - a bit like you get from drivers when things have gone wrong - that Brexit is fine, it's everyone else - eg remainers with their 48% of the (oh so democratic) vote, the EU, the Blob, etc.

Translated into driver speak - the road was slippery, the cyclist was in the middle of the road, they had dementia or other strangely unforeseen medical episode, it was dark/light/ road was bendy, etc - it's never them being a rubbish driver.

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

Before taking satisfaction at the law suddenly taking this seriously: but that's a huge sentence. Almost double the theoretical, never-obtained 14 years (for running over the Royal family while taking selfies and bragging about it online, not guilty plea). (Has the trailed "life sentence" come in yet?) I didn't see info in the story as to how the charges stacked up. There was mention of driving into the police... Makes me wonder how much - if any - was accounted to the original hit and run.

Not to be cynical but others have received but a twelfth of this sentence (can't recall any scot free that came to court but likely some don't).

Sriracha replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
6 likes

...and he'd stolen the car from a showroom. Interestingly, driving it on false plates. You'd think there was a close correlation between false, missing or illegible plates and other badness, and yet despite it being possibly the easiest thing to detect and apprehend, police couldn't be less interested. Too bad this one was never stopped for the false plates in the days before.

chrisonabike replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
1 like

Paging wtjs and London posters...

wtjs replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
2 likes

Too bad this one was never stopped for the false plates in the days before

Is this some traffic-law enforcement Shangri-La we're talking about? You're never going to be stopped in Lancashire for false plates, or for years of no VED, insurance or MOT. Look at NJ12 LJN on the A6 for instance

wtjs replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

Or BX14 VFM, observed regularly since June. 32 months without VED- traffic legislation enforcement has been abandoned in Lancashire at least- ANPR cameras switched off and binning of offence reports by the police. Consequently, a lot more offending

ktache replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

However, they do appear to be about to drive through a green light.

chrisonabike replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

Another faked wtjs photo...

wtjs replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

However, they do appear to be about to drive through a green light

True, but there's no colour prejudice at Lancashire Constabulary and you will be treated to exactly the same even-handed complete lack of interest and determined total inactivity when you go through a red light, just like MW15 WFF

iandusud replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
2 likes

I suspect the fact that he'd conned an old woman and was a generally nasty piece of work was a contributing factor in the sentencing. Clearly not the sort of person any of us would want to be out and about. Had it just been a hit and run though... (which BTW I think is also exactly the sort of person who needs to be locked away). 

David9694 | 1 year ago
5 likes

Yes to the EU. Let's get back in to the customs union and single market. 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
8 likes

David9694 wrote:

Yes to the EU. Let's get back in to the customs union and single market. 

Another referendum!

Mind you, I wouldn't want to just give up the Brexit benefits I've been enjoying

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
6 likes

Quite happy with my pink unicorn (national emblem of Scotland and all) thank you. Although I'm having difficulty seeing it. Must be here though.

To give the leave argument the benefit of the doubt we probably have to wait at least a generation to assess this. At which point we may struggle to unpick the effects from "other stuff that happened" of course.

bobbinogs replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yawn, get over it

David9694 replied to bobbinogs | 1 year ago
4 likes

Nope. If he wants to come on this forum with a stupid and provocative handle, I will go on challenging him.

Are you one "them", perchance?

Rich_cb replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Have you seen anyone harassing those with pro EU usernames?

Sniffer replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
3 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

Have you seen anyone harassing those with pro EU usernames?

Are there any?

Not that I support the harassing of the OP who makes contributions on cycling matters far more than politics.

Rich_cb replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
3 likes

There are a few EU flags as profile pics and at least one FBPE.

Neither get harassed and rightly so.

Something David9694 and HarrogateSpa should reflect on.

Sniffer replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes, I am aware of pics. You mentioned pro EU usernames and I can't remember seeing one of those.

From this thread it would appear that our Trump, Johnson and Brexit loving PBU has disappeared again for thinly veiled racist comments

Rich_cb replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
1 like

There is at least one with FBPE as part of their username.

Never seen any harassment of them based on that.

Hirsute replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
1 like

Enjoy the ride ?
Seems all posts have been removed too.

David9694 replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

There are a few EU flags as profile pics and at least one FBPE. Neither get harassed and rightly so. Something David9694 and HarrogateSpa should reflect on.

Why would they be? false equivalence much?

Rich_cb replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

A pro EU user username/picture is not, in any way, equivalent to an anti EU username?

David9694 replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
1 like

I would probably give them a 'like', so long as it wasn't about disc brakes on road bikes. 

ktache replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
1 like

They do seem to have an actual appreciation for riding their bicycle unlike the provocateurs.

Deliberately contentious username mind...

Hirsute replied to ktache | 1 year ago
3 likes

They said it was the same username as on another forum and used for some years.
They write a lot about cycling so I don't really care about the username.

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Sounds like an opening to put all sorts of horrible hateful stuff in a user name - would you draw a line anywhere at all? 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

Sounds like an opening to put all sorts of horrible hateful stuff in a user name - would you draw a line anywhere at all? 

I can't see how putting a political stance in a username (or by including a soviet style hat in your avatar) is at all a problem as long as it's not generally offensive (e.g. Nazis).

I do recall someone once made a fake alias of BehindTheBikeSheds (an infamous poster here that veered between being very angry and very insightful) in order to ridicule them by having posts that looked to be from them. I'd consider that abusive behaviour.

chrisonabike replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

... including a soviet style hat in your avatar) is at all a problem ...

Wait, what? I thought that was a red acorn?!

hawkinspeter replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
4 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

... including a soviet style hat in your avatar) is at all a problem ...

Wait, what? I thought that was a red acorn?!

Is this clearer?

Previous pic here:

Pages

Latest Comments