Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Wheel Upgrade

I’m looking to upgrade my wheels for the first time and could use some advice, I have a Boardman SLR 8.9c with stock wheels currently.

Based on reviews and recommendations, the wheels below come up as the best options for my budget (>£600), and I’ve shown the best price I’ve found them for alongside.

mavic ksyrium elite ust - £450
hunt race season aero wide - £360
cero ar30 evo - £280
borg 31 - £380
DT Swiss 1600 Spline 23 - £390

Does anybody haves experience of using these wheels or have any recommendations?

I’m leaning towards the Mavic, but also wondered whether it would be worth saving a little more to buy the Mavic cosmic pro carbon (£580) for the added aero benefits?

Any help would be great!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

Might be worth a thought a to the availability and cost of thing like replacement bearings and spokes.

Richbeck | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hand built- speak to David at DCR wheels - you will not look back!

ibr17xvii | 3 years ago
0 likes

DT Swiss or Mavic if it was my money.

Used both & never had an issue with either. Mavic's particularly have been bombproof.

Team EPO | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had the Mavic  Ks on my bike and they are solid (i am 97kg) and although there are some online moans about Mavic quality mine have lasted well.

Also worth noting the Mavic tubeless "UST" system is easily the easiest to set up which counts for a lot especially if you ever need to put an inner tube in mid ride.

Remember to budget for some quality tyres as they make a big difference

Latest Comments