Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carrying 4 touring bikes with a car and 4 persons

Going TdF touring in France in July. I have an old beloved B6 VW Passat Variant. I want to transport 4 bikes with said car and driver + 3 cyclist pax...
Anyone have any recommendations for the cheapest way of doing this  - are 4x bike racks practical? Any tips very much welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

joe9090 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! <3

Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
2 likes

You could get a roofbox, put your luggage in that, and then put the bikes in the boot if its the Passat estate.  You might need to take the pedals off, etc. and take tools with you but it would a) be much better for fuel consumption, and b) be more difficult to steal your bikes which means you can stop, park, leave the car as you desire without worrying. 

This is what we do - I pack the bikes in with bedding, jackets, etc. to make sure they don't rattle. 

IanGlasgow | 1 year ago
2 likes

LIke others I have carried 4 bikes (2 adult + 2 kids and later 3 adults and 1 kids) on a Citroen Xsara Picasso (which is suspect is taller than your car but shorter and narrower).
Check the weight limit for your roof, weigh the bikes, the roof bars and (Thule) bike racks. Mine is rated 90kg. We just about stayed under that.
Prior to buying the roof bars and bike racks I tried a 4 bike rear carrier but it put far too much weight on the rear suspension.

Driving to France with the bikes on the roof was no problem - they slow you down a little and reduce fuel consumption. And make sure you don't forget about them at French motorways tolls, car parks, etc!

Pulling out of a motorway service station and finding ourselves in the middle of a line of TdF service vehicles was an entertainng moment.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

I have the Thule roofbar system and you can stick as many bike carriers on the roof bars as you want, so in theory you can put 4 on. The way you would do it is slide 2 close to the centre, top and tailed as mentioned, and then fit the outer 2 as close in as fits. The bars allow the carriers to clamp very close to the end of the bars so the bikes can even stick out over the sides (not sure of the legality or wisdom of this).

With heavier touring bikes, you need to be aware of the maximum load weight for the vehicle and/or the roof rack itself. Your manual will state it, and remember that includes the bars and fittings and is usually about 70kg. So 4 heavy bikes and rack could exceed the load capacity of the roof - think emergency stop, not crushing the car! You don't want to jam on the anchors just to end up admiring your precious steeds glide into the car in front.

If you are planning on using the Tunnel, make sure you book on as an oversized vehicle and join the coaches and RVs.

4 bikes also create a lot of windage, be prepared for noticeable loss in performance and significant increase in fuel consumption. Again the rack will specify a maximum design speed, so you might want, with 4 bikes, to plan for a slower journey than with your naked Passat.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Don't forget carbon frames require a specific holder or frame protector.

IanMSpencer replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

I think the carbon issue is overcautious.

1. Make sure the frame and holder are clean - obviously any frame type can be damaged by dirt.

2. You can buy carbon frame protectors, but as they are just a piece of soft rubber, the clamping force is going to be similar in the end - so doesn't really solve the supposed issue of crushing - and the grit issue remains if you haven't cleaned your bike. The face of my tube holder is fairly soft anyhow.

So, clean the clamping area, use a cloth or similar to protect the finish. I've never had a problem or seen any markings on my bike. The Thule system I use doesn't clamp down hard anyhow, it relies on a shaped holder to stabilise the bike.

Where I have seen damage, is putting bikes where they end up in contact, making sure there is clearance between bikes is essential, including considering them swaying. That happens on any type of bike holder. Experienced rack users often have a selection of pipe insulation, bungies and cloths to cope with this on fully loaded racks.

Hirsute replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

I don't have a carbon frame but I thought it was the same as not clamping it in a work stand due to the risk of crushing.

OP is in Holland, so won't have any Tunnel problems !

Secret_squirrel replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Don't forget carbon frames require a specific holder or frame protector.

I dont see why? 

My Halford/Exodus bike clamps clamp right in the center of the downtube where all decent frames are super thin carbon or not.  I've had Carbon, 853 Steel, Gaspipe steel and Ti clamped that way with no issues.

Hirsute replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

So just marketing then. As above, I thought it was the same as the workstand approach.

mdavidford | 1 year ago
5 likes

Remember to keep your team leader's spare bike on the outside for fast access.

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
2 likes

I do same with 2 adults + 2 24" kids bikes. 
Halford Aero bars (actually made by Thule!) Got 2 bike fixing new and 2 off of eBay. 

Top and tail the bikes so the handle bars don't clash. 

I've also done 1 adult & 2 kids bikes and a half width roof box this way too.  That does involve putting one of the bike racks outside of the roof bar pillars for 1 of its 3 fixing points.

TheBillder | 1 year ago
1 like

I bought the cheapest Halfords racks and got 4 onto my roof bars fairly easily. The car is a Toyota Verso, so reasonably wide. Bikes went on in alternate directions, and were a mix of large gravel bike, small road bike and 2 hybrids. The hardest part was lifting the heavy hybrids onto the roof - the Verso is quite tall and I have an iffy shoulder, so I took a tiny step ladder to help with loading.

Putting it all together was a pain, so I've kept it all in one piece since. Fitting it back on the car takes 2 people.

This is the current version: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/roof-mounted-bike-racks/half... so £120 for four, assuming you already have roof bars.

I seldom take 4 bikes now so have switched to a 3 bike Saris Bones rack on the tailgate, but I'm not convinced that 4 on the tailgate is sensible for weight reasons. Bikes on the roof are terrible for fuel consumption but abroad, I'd worry about obscured tail lights and inability to wriggle out of police situations in French...

Hope this helps.

CyclingInGawler replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
1 like

Prior to leaving the UK our typical going-on-holiday set up was 2.2L TD Citroen C5 loaded with a roof box and one bike, towing a 500kg camper trailer loaded with two more bikes and another roof box (on its own "roof" bars). When "clean" at motorway speeds the C5 would return close to 50 mpg. Loaded up as above it would barely do 30 mpg. Mind you, apart from the fuel consumption it towed like a dream 😀

Latest Comments