Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

advantage of deep section rims for slower riders

Hi

Whenever you read reviews of deep section carbon rims (say 38mm plus) the reviews quite often mention savings of such & such watts/power at an average speed of 40Km/h (as an example).

What if the average speed is significantly lower than 40Km/h, for example 27Km/h (approx 17mph) - are there still savings to be made from using deep section rims at these speeds or not?

Anyone have any examples or links to related information?

thanks

Simon Hume

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
1 like

Savings will be proportional to the square of the speed, so 27/40 is roughly 2/3 and the watts will be reduced by 4/9.

Just under half the savings at 27kmh than at 40kmh

However, the increase in how good the bikes looks will be unchanged and people will be able to appreciate it for 50% longer

Ihatecheese | 3 years ago
1 like

My wife and I ride pretty slow with our dog. Under 15mph most of the time together. I ride faster on my own. My bike originally came with 50mm front and 60mm back prime black edition wheel. It was a positive experience when I swapped for some 36mm all round (as not many super shallow light carbon disk wheels about for the similar £), my Enve 2.2 rear doesn' feel as fast with less wooshing but no real noticeable change in effort. 

Less wind buffeting and faster spin up. Aero wheels are great if you're zooming, but in traffic in the city it's just cool factor in my slow experience

bozmandb9 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Effectively yes.

Your average speed is only telling half the story, the big question is how much elevation is in your ride.  If you're riding at 35 kph on the flats, 45 on the descents, and 15 on the inclines, you'll get lots of aero benefit on all but the inclines.  For climbing there is little to no downside, since most carbon aero wheels are not heavy nowadays.

If you're doing 27kph on flat routes, you'll still get plenty of benefit, less so than if you were going faster, but still worth having.

Check out GCN for links.

Diggery | 3 years ago
0 likes

Good discussion!

I'm thinking about new wheels.
I ride places like the Dales and Peak District, 1-3 hours at 15-18mph average, lots of hills >10%, often hit 40mph down and ride a 2014 carbon bike with da9000. Tight kit and spend time in the drops and tucked in. I like the feeling of speed, even though I'm not the fastest by a long stretch.

It doesn't seem worth replacing my whole bike, but some of the more 'affordable' carbon 50mm rims would update the stock fulcrum 2.5's. Frame and calipers limits tyre width too.

I've concluded weight is near irrelevant at the levels we're talking about.

Aero is interesting. Gains are small but lots of evidence it affects slower riders more, due to yaw angle and time in the saddle.

I'm struggling to justify the purchase based on small performance performance gains but there are a few improvements.
Aero(ish) 50mm section
200g saving against my wheels.
19mm internal v 17 will give me a wider tyre. Tubeless will also add some comfort.
Wider brake track means tyres won't catch the blocks in wheel removal.

I've had to admit that these changes are marginal for a solo rider and the biggest benefit is looks. I ride alone and fairly remote so it's purely for me. The other intangible element is 'feel'.

Still can't decide if I should do it, but if I do it won't be based on pure performance.

MattieKempy replied to Diggery | 3 years ago
1 like

@Diggery, having upgraded from shallow alloy rims to 50mm carbon rims my anecdotal evidence would suggest that climbing is no slower (possibly because the carbon rims are lighter; I don't climb fast enough for aero to make any difference) and that descending and flat riding are significantly faster and that speed is easier to maintain. I'd also suggest (anecdotally) that different rims enhance different aspects of this. I've had narrower carbon rims and wider carbon rims, some in a more modern aero shape than others and, again anecdotally, the more modern, blunter-shaped, wider rims seem faster than the older, narrower ones. That's just my feeling. Hope it helps! Oh, BTW, if you're on rim-brakes, make sure to get wheels with good braking surfaces. I've had Token wheels before and while they felt fast, their braking performance was rubbish. I've also had Prime wheels and they didn't feel as fast as the Tokens but the braking performance was significantly better.

Diggery replied to MattieKempy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I'm looking at the Prime 50mm black edition as they seem good for the money, lighter and more aero than the cheaper ones.

I'll happily settle for slower climbing wheels in exchange for 'flow' and speed on rolling undulating flats and fast downhills of which there are plenty. If the wider rim gives grip and comfort too it's a winner.

I just wanted to feel a difference for the cash!

Diggery replied to Diggery | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, I made a purchase so if nothing else, my bike will look cool this summer!

zeeridesbikes | 3 years ago
0 likes

I replaced the stock dt swiss 1800's that came with my canyon for some 50mm aero wheels. They felt quicker and stiffer, but I'm sure I'd see similar benefits from the non aero version. Like most people I chose the 50's because they look cool. 

PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I would be interested to see actual real-world evidence; on a given day, a rider could cycle a short loop with minimal traffic and junctions at a steady, say, 200 watts, on both sets, and see what the difference is in segment time.  Hardly perfect, but to me more meaningful than the nonsense trotted out in wheel company 'white papers'.

EddyBerckx replied to PRSboy | 3 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

I would be interested to see actual real-world evidence; on a given day, a rider could cycle a short loop with minimal traffic and junctions at a steady, say, 200 watts, on both sets, and see what the difference is in segment time.  Hardly perfect, but to me more meaningful than the nonsense trotted out in wheel company 'white papers'.

GCN do those type of tests and they always show an advantage to aero wheels.  

pablo | 3 years ago
3 likes

Never really felt that much difference on deep sections and a traditional style frame back to back rides on the same course were generally the same average within 0.5mph so is that wind or other factors. My aero bike and 303s on the other hand are noticeably faster on the same course. 

The reviews do make me laugh though when they state the numbers used. 

But let's be honest the look cool that's why we buy them. 

the infamous grouse replied to pablo | 3 years ago
0 likes

pablo wrote:

But let's be honest the look cool that's why we buy them. 

and depending on the rim, they can sound quite good as well.

one benefit of OP going to a shallower depth rim may be that it might have a wider rim section, improving comfort.

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
5 likes

Admit it. The primary advantage of deep section rims on most of our bicycles is because they look good.

I'll happily include myself in that group, but the truth is I still get a little frisson of adrenaline when I open the garage door and take the dustcover off a bicycle that to me looks feckin' awesome.

Cycloid | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Weight vs aero benefits are not mutually exclusive.

My (Chinese) carbon wheels  which are 40mm front and 50mm rear weigh 1250g.

Light enough for climbing and on the rare occaision I get above 25mph I notice the difference, and they are more rigid.

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

As noted, there's a benefit at whatever speed you ride at. That said, slower riders will probably benefit more from saving weight than some aero efficiency gains. If you're averaging below 32/33 kph I'd probably go a light set, personally. At less than 27/28 I'd definitely look at weight first.

Dnnnnnn replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
2 likes

My understanding was that the aerodynamics became more important than weight at much lower speeds. Weight saving was most important on steep hills and when accelerating, whereas aero gains were greater at most speeds and at more constant speeds (i.e. when not rapidly accelerating).

I guess the balance between aero and weight will vary according to individual circumstances too - and whether either is very significant in the context of the OP's level of riding I'd be a bit sceptical.

bozmandb9 replied to Recoveryride | 3 years ago
1 like

You only benefit from weight savings over aero benefit on a ride with average gradient over 6%, i.e. for most of us pretty much never.  Maybe for hill climb TT's, that's pretty much it.

Remember you're talking maybe a couple of hundred grams, most of us could easily lose ten times that from our bodyweight!

Aero benefits are far more important than weight, in nearly all circumstances except for very steep climbs.  There's loads of research out there, much of it independent, and now you can get decent aero rims which are 1,500 grams, it's not really an either or thing.  

Finally, most contemporary aero rims are fine in cross winds.  My son is only 70kg, and is riding 55mm rims in all weathers.

turnerjohn | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've found Deeper front wheels do slightly affect handling.....whilst my zipp 404s are quicker overal I prefer the 303s ride which feel nibbler...or mix and match as I sometimes do. I do average around 20-21mph tho and you do notice the difference there.....not so below 18mph in my opinion 

davman | 3 years ago
0 likes

thanks for the replies

I already have a pair of deep section rims, Prime RR38 (more likely mid than deep section), but i have never been able to average more than 17.5 mph for a ride. Some of this can be attributed to heart bypass surgery and my age (56). Hence my question.

I've been wondering if replacing my Prime's with a pair of 30-35mm carbon rim wheels, may be beneficial. I feel they they won't lose out much to the Prime's in speed terms, but may be a lot better when riding routes that are up and down a lot, not drag strips or fast roads

Simon

The Gavalier replied to davman | 3 years ago
2 likes

The difference between 38mm and 32mm will be indiscernible speed-wise. The benefit you'll get from the shallower rim is more stability in crosswinds. 

MattieKempy replied to davman | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hey @Davman, I'd suggest that deeper rims will make you faster. I've had Prime RR50s before now and the weren't the fastest but I'd imagine they'd be faster than 38s. I'd also suggest that the more 'modern' shape of the Prime Black Edition rims might make them faster.

hmas1974 replied to davman | 3 years ago
0 likes

I replaced my ageing 58mm FFWDs with a set of Cero 35mm wheels. I get most of the aero benefits of running deeper sections, lighter wheels and they're better suited to the terrain in the Surrey Hills, North Downs and Hampshire.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Personally I've only ever noticed the difference at higher speeds ie above 20mph (higher the better) though I'm aware that there are various claims that you save more time overall for a given route the slower you go (or something)

Personally I wouldn't go below 60mm, definitely not below 50mm unless you're a pretty light rider

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
2 likes

See this blog - https://wattmatters.blog/home/2013/06/aero-for-slower-riders.html

Aero wheels should make you about 3% quicker, whatever speed you ride at.

Welsh boy replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
6 likes

So in the 2 hours it takes me to ide to the cafe with my friend i will save about 3 and a half minutes.  Except I wont because we ride together having a chat and enjoying the ride and so we get to the cafe at exactly the same time.  Give me light wheels any day, they make the bike feel better and because I dont race any longer I would prefer my bike to feel nice and responsive to ride (that way I can fool myself that I am still fast and nimble).

Of course, if you race or ride on your own and those few minutes are important to you then go aero.

bozmandb9 replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
2 likes

So rather than taking an actual improvement, you'll imagine one on the basis of weight.

I'm not getting at you in particular, I just find it amusing that so many cyclists still obsess over weight when the facts show us it's less important than aerodynamics, especially given that most of us could probably lose the weight of an average road bike, and be much faster fitter and healthier as a result.

But no, we'll obsess over shaving a couple of hundred grams from our wheelset and maybe 50 off our saddle or bars etc.  And responsiveness?  Sorry, I'm not buying that anybody can discern a difference in responsiveness in a bike with a lightweight wheelset which is 300 grams less than an aero set.

Welsh boy replied to bozmandb9 | 3 years ago
3 likes

I didnt think for a minute that you were getting at me, I am just saying that for the type of riding I do now (heart condition, almost 60 years of age) there isnt any improvement, real or imaginary, for me buying deep section rims, I will get to the tea stop at the same time as my friend regardless of what I ride.  I may get there using slightly less energy on deep section wheels but it will not be noticable or make the difference to me winning a sprint at the end of the ride home.  I accept that these are factors for people who race but for most of us I dont think it makes a real difference.  I am not obsessed with weight (I know where i can shed 6 kg before i worry about a few hundred gramms on my wheels) but what i do like now is a bike which feels nice to ride and when i go out on my own i am not bothered if the ride takes me 2 hours or 1 hour 57 minutes.

MattieKempy replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

But your bike will look sooo much cooler!

wycombewheeler replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I guess it depends whether you are stronger than your friend, or he is stronger than you.

If he is easing back to ride at your pace, then you will get there faster. If you are already riding within yourself to stick together than saving energy will only reduce calcories burned, not really what anyone is after

Nick T replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
1 like

You won't get there any quicker but you will potentially use less energy to do so

Pages

Latest Comments