Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacement tyres for old road bike, Numpty Alert!!

Hi,

I've been given a 1980's Peugeot road bike that I am rebuilding with period parts.

I have just taken the tyres and tubes off the wheels and found that the tubes are inside the tyres.  39

The tyres are Wolber Pro 84 front and Wolber Neo Pro rear, both are very well worn and the tyre carcasses have started to split.

The wheels are Mavic, but there is no style or type info on the rim and the rims do not have a bead retaining lip on so I assume I'm going to have to replace the tyres with a modern version of what I have taken off.

So, can I get replacement tyres like the ones I have removed, if so where from and does anyone make a retro looking tyre or will I have to go with a 'standard' modern tyre?

Thanks

John

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

yes, one or the other. rim cement is better according to this scientific study: www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/bicycle/Part9.pdf but tape's a bit easier in my experience. whatever floats your boat really  1

jova54 | 15 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave.

I'll probably take one of the wheels along to my LBS and see what else I need.

I suppose the tubulars are held on by some sort of glue or double sided rim tape?

0 likes

the 'C' actually refers to clincher rims so my mistake there, get confused sometimes  26  26  26

anyhow, the ETRTO size specification for a 700 tubular rim is 633mm, which is 25 inches give or take not very much. So yes, a modern tub should fit fine. i think  1

jova54 | 15 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dave,

Just had another look at the old tyres and there doesn't appear to be any sizing info on them. Apart from the manufacturers name the only other info is the number 263 on the Neo Pro and 55 or 65 on the Pro 84 which are probably batch ids.

I have measured the rims and they are both 25" diameter, does this make them 700c or some other size.

I'll have a look at the Vittoria website in the meantime.

0 likes

tubular tyres are still readily available. I'm not an expert on wolber tubulars from the 80s but i *think* they're a 700c size, does it have size information on the tyre?

you can pick up Vittoria tubs for as little as about £12 each for the training ones, about twice that for lighter race ones. have a search online for them

Latest Comments