Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Milan - San Remo

Can I just put a dampener on things by saying that the forecast for Lombardy and Liguria on Sunday is heavy rain.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

160 comments

TERatcliffe26 replied to stevemarks | 11 years ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:

Just changed my whole teams again. Thought I would have a laugh as I can Liquidate the whole team tomorrow night and made my whole purist team Italian  3
It's harder than you might think, as I have still left out a few I fancied. And no Sagan is not an Italian. May have a whole Belgian team for Flanders and French one for Paris Roubaix.

That will be hard to do without taking penalty points, with only 6 transfers in between them  3

(between Flanders and Roubaix just to clarify)

stevemarks replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's a purist team.......

I have to find 9 belgofrankies then.

stevemarks replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

20  20  20

1 point on my Italian purist team, I give up the (fun) experiments gonna get serious now.

JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes

Despite what Cav
has just tweeted
about tomorrow,
I have just
transferred out Pete
Sagan and brought
in Nibali,
and some other
good allrounders.
The nearest thing
to a sprinter
in my squad is
Geraint Thomas
but he may not
ride too well if
the welsh get stuffed
by England in
the 6 nations.

oops, sorry, this is not very poetic...#freeverse

Alan Tullett replied to JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

Despite what Cav
has just tweeted
about tomorrow,
I have just
transferred out Pete
Sagan and brought
in Nibali,
and some other
good allrounders.
The nearest thing
to a sprinter
in my squad is
Geraint Thomas
but he may not
ride too well if
the welsh get stuffed
by England in
the 6 nations.

oops, sorry, this is not very poetic...#freeverse

Thomas should win then  20 England stuffed  20 (Actually, couldn't care less about rugby)

Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Love to Alan But 'er indoors family over from Milan and Sardinia. Set a date for Paris-Roubaix though. Unless my lottery numbers come up, if they do I will be there.  1

Alan Tullett replied to Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:

Love to Alan But 'er indoors family over from Milan and Sardinia. Set a date for Paris-Roubaix though. Unless my lottery numbers come up, if they do I will be there.  1

It depends on the weather as her game is normally on a Sunday. We'll see what happens nearer the time  1

0 likes

There is also a possibility of them hitting snow near Alessandria and heavy rain through Pavia. This race is gonna be fun if your sitting on your sofa just watching.  19

Alan Tullett replied to Philip Unwin | 11 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:

There is also a possibility of them hitting snow near Alessandria and heavy rain through Pavia. This race is gonna be fun if your sitting on your sofa just watching.  19

Luckily my daughter's football game has been cancelled so I'm going to be able to watch it! Do you wanna come round for some beers!

0 likes

Snow also predicted for Milan in the morning. Not much but the start will probably hover around zero  19

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow. It does not look good with rain all day, light at first but becoming heavier with a wind chill temp at 6c and they reckon at least 14 mill of rain.

Looks like its going to be a breakaway that wins it and not a full sprint.

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, that was my 300th post.

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Songezo Jim. Now that's a name.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I figured I'd anchor my standard team to the most likely scenario, a Sagan/Cancellara/Nibali breakaway + a few others, then look at what else might happen, namely a strong bunch sprint with riders like Hushovd involved.

If scenario B happens and Sagan wins it at least I'll have 4 or 5 in the top 20, if scenario A happens I could have 4 or 5 in the top 10.

The problem though is that Sagan is such a favourite that I don't see many teams helping to bring back a break and Cannondale will have to be very tactically astute to make sure Sagan actually gets into a position to win it. Just look at Cav last year, in the wrong place on the first real climb and finds himself completely out of contention. All it takes is for Sagan to get caught out once and he's gone.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ive revised my teams too, both have Sagan and Cancellera then a mish mash of other riders. Its gonna end in tears for one of my teams  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Urgh,

I hate bad poetry.

I've revised my teams, my standard is built around Sagan with other potential breakaway companions. For that I'm hoping for a small-medium break on the Poggio that includes Sagan and stays away to the finish.

For my purist team I have no Sagan and have gone more towards a bunch sprint spreading out my credits to give myself more options.

My worry on both counts is that a non-Sagan break goes away and no teams want to work to bring it back just so Sagan or a sprinter like Cavendish wins. If that's the case then I have absolutely no idea who might win.

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Urgh,

I hate bad poetry.

I've revised my teams, my standard is built around Sagan with other potential breakaway companions. For that I'm hoping for a small-medium break on the Poggio that includes Sagan and stays away to the finish.

For my purist team I have no Sagan and have gone more towards a bunch sprint spreading out my credits to give myself more options.

My worry on both counts is that a non-Sagan break goes away and no teams want to work to bring it back just so Sagan or a sprinter like Cavendish wins. If that's the case then I have absolutely no idea who might win.

Following a very similar strategy. Pretty safe for the standard and a good mix of medium priced guys from a variety of teams for my purist. Two riders in common to both teams, both around 10 credits.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here we go with a Milan-San Remo Rhyme,
Don't pick Sagan but his partner in crime,
Spartacus Hushovd Gilbert or Gee?,
Gatto Pozzato or Nibali?
Which of the Qhubeka guys will be in the break,
Bertie's not riding but having a steak!

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thinking about two radically different teams for standard and purist. One with expensive guys, like Sagan, Nibali and maybe Goss and the other with medium-priced riders. Hedge my bets.

enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes

You guys are amazing!  1 I hate it, but I have to admit it's beautiful...  1

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, I suspect Nordhaug is looking to peak at a later date so might not be in tip top condition this weekend.

For me, it's all about who's in form or coming into form and who's looking to peak for this race.

The likes of Gerrans are clearly not going to be 100% so I'm avoiding them and looking at those with racing miles in their legs and who are looking good, Nibali, Sagan etc.

Also, if Renshaw wins MSR I'll eat a pair of road.cc socks.

Alan Tullett replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

No, I suspect Nordhaug is looking to peak at a later date so might not be in tip top condition this weekend.

For me, it's all about who's in form or coming into form and who's looking to peak for this race.

The likes of Gerrans are clearly not going to be 100% so I'm avoiding them and looking at those with racing miles in their legs and who are looking good, Nibali, Sagan etc.

Also, if Renshaw wins MSR I'll eat a pair of road.cc socks.

He can always headbutt everyone out of the way!!

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

worked out my team and it came to 200.5 points  13

Can someone lend me 51 points ????????

My second go worked out much better and no Sagan for me at the mo. His 40 points can get you a mixture of Gilbert / Boonen / Thomas / Pozzato and Iglinsky / Moser / Gasparotto which might be better overall.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Urgh, damn cryptic team descriptions, I thought we'd finished with those...

I'm going to lay it on the line, my team currently includes Sagan  13

I know, shock choice.

Current working team is based around Sagan, Nibali, Cancellara and one other high-ish priced start (around the 20-25 mark) who I can't decide on just yet, Degenkolb is tempting, as is Impey/Goss (not sure who GreenEdge will work for), Thomas and Gilbert.

Not picking EBH as I see him being overpriced at 30 credits really and not worth it when you can get Gilbert/Degenkolb much cheaper.

Cheaper star wise Hushovd looks good value, as does Iglinsky.

Anyone know what schedule Norhaug is working to? Is he likely to be in any form for MSR?

TERatcliffe26 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I know, shock choice.

Current working team is based around Sagan, Nibali, Cancellara and one other high-ish priced start (around the 20-25 mark) who I can't decide on just yet, Degenkolb is tempting, as is Impey/Goss (not sure who GreenEdge will work for), Thomas and Gilbert.

Not picking EBH as I see him being overpriced at 30 credits really and not worth it when you can get Gilbert/Degenkolb much cheaper.

Anyone know what schedule Norhaug is working to? Is he likely to be in any form for MSR?

Similar plan to mine although im thinking no Nibali  39

In both standard and purist I have Sagan, Cancellara and Pippo and then they differ from there

ray silvester replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I know, shock choice.

Blanco seem to be putting Renshaw and Slagter in pole positions.....unless they're bluffing re Nordhaug.

JAndrewHill replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I know, shock choice.

If I told you my star picks
You would just add them to your mix,
So I'll remain one of those hinters
Who'll just pack his squad with sprinters
Last years msr was a one off
This year wont be won by riders like Menchov.
Go for riders like impey and sagan
And forget the likes of gerrans and uran.

Wm Shakespeare. 1578.

ray silvester replied to JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I know, shock choice.

If I told you my star picks
You would just add them to your mix,
So I'll remain one of those hinters
Who'll just pack his squad with sprinters
Last years msr was a one off
This year wont be won by riders like Menchov.
Go for riders like impey and sagan
And forget the likes of gerrans and uran.

Wm Shakespeare. 1578.

1578? Hasn't got his 2K badge yet then!!

JAndrewHill replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

As for the purist team, my choices will be,
Aimed quite simply for the one two three.
So sagan and Cav should do the job
Closely followed by Degenkolb.

JAndrewHill replied to JAndrewHill | 11 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

As for the purist team, my choices will be,
Aimed quite simply for the one two three.
So sagan and Cav should do the job
Closely followed by Degenkolb.

There again it might not be a sprint,
If thats so, then heres a hint,
Try the champ Phillippe Gilbert,
Or that french star, Tommy Voeckler (french accent needed for that rhyme)
And pick the sky guy Boasson Hagen
But you'll still need Peter Sagan.

Pages

Latest Comments