Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Halfords mini-league

I had the temerity to create a mini-league on the Halfords TdF game called "road.cc ex-pats", password is "clenbuterol".

If anyone is going to win their Boardman bikes then it might as well be one of us. They only have one transfer window a week so it won't clash with the _real_ league on road.cc.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

78 comments

STEVESPRO 79 replied to Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Crap is a word that springs to mind....

Timbo13 replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

even in the road.cc league i was 3rd yesterday and now having had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th all in my team ive somehow managed to drop to 5th or something and my rank overall has dropped even further  17

im just confused by it

I'm assuming that someone has played their joker for that day's stage.

It's going to be a long wait till Alpe d'Huez, when I've got the chance of a double pointer.

Gkam84 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

You're all enjoying *our* game though, right?  4

Indeed, if i was in charge of Halfords league i would shoot myself cause its shocking

thefatcyclist replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Any chance the league admin can kick out the 0 scorer "Mostly Hopeless" cause that team is bringing the avg score in the league of leagues right down  19

I think not, I bet the effect is insignificant due to the laws of averages

Gkam84 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

I had a look, Gkam, but there's no way to kick a player once they're in the league. The game is about as good as Halford's bike department.

Give the game credit, at least it pretends to know what its talking about  4

The guys in Halfords just shrug and give up on questions

Timbo13 replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

Last night on the RCUK game it said I was ranked 771st, today I'm 919th. Have I missed a few bonus stages?

Halfords final rank: 4210 (or is it?), best rank: 2

As for this game, I retract what I said about letting us choose whomever we like. However, I do think we should be able to make changes in advance. E.g. I should be able to set my changes for stage 3 while stage 2 is still on, just in case I forget during the window (like I forgot to change for the ITT). It's my hard lines if my picks don't actually ride the next day.

96th overall on the Halfords game, 2nd in the road.cc ex-pats league behind Gmancervelo. Still no idea who the winners are, mind.
I think everyone officially has a best rank of 2 (except for their sample team, which was ranked 1st), but that only applied before the TdF started.

Paddyk replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well, we're the guys who run it so would like to take some "constructive" criticism before shooting ourselves!  1

We thought it quite simple as per the game rules, give people 6 transfers per week to use at their discretion and one bonus circuit. Swap in Riders to suit the terrain.

We wanted to make it accessible to those who aren't cycling mad enthusiasts, (Hence Lucky Dip) but involve enough knowledge to make it so the people who really know what their talking about should win, which I guess is what's happening.

Your first team selection really counts as that's who will pick up the bonus points at the end. It's been so far, a very successful game that we have brought over from Australia, but happy to get any feedback on how we could make it better.

Thanks guys,

Cheers,
Paddy

Noriko replied to Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Timbo13 wrote:

Re the Halfords game:
Anybody have any idea how to:
1.check your scores for a specific day
2.see how others did that day
3.see who won the daily prize

It's not good, is it?

1. no
2. no
3. no

"It's not good, is it?"
no

drheaton replied to sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes
Sanderville wrote:

As for this game, I retract what I said about letting us choose whomever we like. However, I do think we should be able to make changes in advance. E.g. I should be able to set my changes for stage 3 while stage 2 is still on, just in case I forget during the window (like I forgot to change for the ITT). It's my hard lines if my picks don't actually ride the next day.

I like the idea of making changes in advance but how about instead you 'schedule' changes (pick changes in advance and the game automatically makes them after a stage) or even let us reset our changes whilst still in the transfer window so, for instance, I might have a couple of changes in mind for the next stage but I'm not 100% sure so I make them so I don't forget to make any changes at all (like I did on the last two days of the TdF  2 ) then when I get into work the next morning I have the option to reset them and then make new ones if I want to. If I don't reset them then whatever is in place at 11am is taken as the changes and are enacted.

More work I know but good functionality and may cut down on the number of times someone makes rubbish/illegal changes and has to ask dave to reset everything.

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hurumph, at least we know our scores in the roadcc, even if there is a problem. 21.30 and still no scores in the halfords, knew it would be crap.  2

Argy | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sanderville, just applied for your league. Thanks  4

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I know that my purist team is never ever going to compete for the top prizes but I like the separate challenge of trying to pick the best, most balanced, team across the whole race. It's really a totally different game to the main competition and I like both challenges equally.

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

I quite like the idea in the fantasy game, that the points you get for the GC classification are all based on the team as it stood on the day the tour started . . . so the purists get a bit of help there. . .
but the daily stage points are gained for the team after all the transfers . . . so the non-purists with their expertise can get extra points for knowing that Contador is better going up hills than Cavendish, but Cash might beat him of a flat stage. . .

What do you think?

thefatcyclist | 12 years ago
0 likes

i'm in the queue, but using "still think its the mince"
not "this years no hopers"

Timbo13 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just a thought (shamelessly nabbed from the Premier League's fantasy football game from last season):

How about the ability to carry over one of your daily transfers to the next day if you don't use them both (up to a maximum of 1 carry-over, so you only ever get a maximum of 3 transfers for one day).

It could lead to a bit more strategic thinking (or am I the only Tinkerman round here who uses both transfer options every day).

Timbo

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

i'm glad someone else has taken the time to read the rules of the halfords one, i know a lot more about it now  4

so far my team is just a lucky dip... doubt i'll be troubling the leaders.

thanks for all the positive comments on the road.cc game. Any suggestions to make it better are also welcome!

Squiggle replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

thanks for all the positive comments on the road.cc game. Any suggestions to make it better are also welcome!

Hey Dave here's a suggestion... The regional tables are good but it'd be great if you could see your overall ranking within the home countries, UK, and Europe aswell.

Cheers, keep up the good work  3

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ah, well sorry Geraint, good luck in first week!

sanderville | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think the daily transfers make it so involving. Plus if you missed your weekly transfer window then you'd be screwed if your team was set up for flat stages in one week, then the next week was all about mountain finishes.

BoredMan | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd say roadCC is much better - far more challenging!
only thing I think maybe better is transfers for the week, rather than by day. 2per day leaves me pretty tired by the end of a tour! Also the freedom to use you budgeted changes on any day within the week allows more different strategies to be used & would mean teams would not end up as similar as they probably do now by the end of a race.

0 likes

If anyone feels they're waiting a long time to get approved to the Halfords mini-league it's because my work have blocked it. I'll do it all when I get home tonight.

petescales | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've joined the queue and why not.

Wookster | 12 years ago
0 likes

Dave, the is much better than halfords!! Been assured since I. Found it!! Good work fella!!

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd love to join, my team is called Leopard Trekkers.

What I love about it is the 3d jerseys that you get.

Oh yeah, and all the prizes, and the team picking thing.

I have a suggestion for this one though, how about publishing the highest scoring combination of riders, a bit like they do in fantasy football...

And how come Geraint's tips have dried up?  43

Simon_MacMichael replied to Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

And how come Geraint's tips have dried up?  43

They haven't - as we say in the intro to the TDF Preview, we're adding those in within the next day or so.

Not sure why you have the impression they've dried up though - true, we didn't have tips from him for the last race, the Tour de Suisse, but that was because he was riding the Dauphine at the same time (which he did give tips for).

onlyonediane | 12 years ago
0 likes

Road cc game is much better,does require some knowledge to pick a reasonably good team. Also the restrictions are fairer for everyone. Not sure how the others will pan out.

letsgoup | 12 years ago
0 likes

Too add. I like the rider classifications (GC, PC, KM etc) and the restrictions this imposes. Makes you have to think outside the box. Just being able to pick all the best riders isn't a game. Its a list. I like the restrictions.

Gepin | 12 years ago
0 likes

I am in too (if approved)
The Road.cc game is so much better Dave... As others have mentioned this one proper twists my mellon!!!

0 likes

Certainly the road.cc game is by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and should stay that way. But the more people click the lucky dip button on the Halfords game, the more chance I have of winning a second Boardman.

I've already said I'd like the road.cc game to abandon the prescribed make-up of teams. One man's domestique is another man's all-rounder. What if a rookie beats the whole bunch in a sprint? What if you spend 40.0 on a captain who then spends the next day on bidon duty? Just let us spend our money where we want.

But look at the prices on the Halfords/RCUK/Toy'R'Us game - 2.5 for Andre Greipel???

arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes

I agree with letsgoup. Its like in Halfords doesnt win who is best. Every fool can win it cause they just need to take all favorites.
Whats good are the prizes  4 and nothing else.

Pages

Latest Comments