Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fairlight Secan low gear options

I've ordered a Fairlight Secan with Shimano GRX 1X. What are my best options to get low gears? I can have a Shimano GRX 40 chain-ring with an 11-42 cassette, which I think is the lowest that GRX will go. However, I fancy going a bit lower but would rather not have a smaller chain-ring.

I know I could go 2X with 46/30 and an 11-34 cassette, but I do fancy trying 1X. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Joe Totale | 4 years ago
0 likes

1x is alright and I use it on my CX bike due to all the mud, however it's nothing amazing.
Why have you written it off? I personally still much prefer a 2x set up on the road. 

oceandweller | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have a 1x set-up, 38T oval chainring with a SRAM 10-42T cassette, on my go anywhere bike & it works extremely well on & off road (switching between two wheelsets, one with 28mm slicks, the other with 40mm gravel tyres). I can just about keep up with the club run on the road & just about thrash my way up some fierce hills off road. When I first built the bike I fitted an 11-40T cassette & that didn't quite cut it at either end of the range. I built the bike several years ago & at the time SRAM was the only way to get a better range in a 1x. However the XD-driver option is expensive, as are SRAM cassettes, & if I was building the same bike now I'd probably go with a GRX long cage mech + one of the 11-46'ish cassettes from Shimano or Sunrace.

Danzxer | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/110-bcd-asymmetric-4-bolt-f...

Wolftooth makes compatible chainrings but they only go as low as 38 tooth.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

You can go low by reducing chainring or increasing cassette to 11-46 or Hope 10-48

The only option is a double chainring- but you've dismissed that idea currently

Latest Comments