Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Quick cleat question...

On the basis that at junctions etc I unclip my left foot almost 100% of the time, would the life of my cleats be increased by swapping them from left to right shoe occasionally?

(Shimano SPD btw)

TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

HLaB | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rather than mucking about too much with my cleat angle I just tend to replace the cleat I put down more often than the one I dont.  I'm running plastic spd-sl's though and it was a very long time before I had to replace my old metal spd cleats.

Glyno | 4 years ago
0 likes

That's great, thanks  1

TheBillder | 4 years ago
1 like

Perhaps, from a very long time indeed to even longer... I'm still waiting for my first set of spd cleats to wear out and would worry more about mis-aligning the cleats when transferring.

Griff500 replied to TheBillder | 4 years ago
2 likes
TheBillder wrote:

Perhaps, from a very long time indeed to even longer... I'm still waiting for my first set of spd cleats to wear out and would worry more about mis-aligning the cleats when transferring.

This! I'd guess I change my cleats around 12000km. Life of mine is more related to wear during walking, even though I never walk far, and avoid walking on gravel if possible, so there would be no benefit in swapping. A tenner in 12k km is not worth worrying about.

Edit: Maybe I should add that my typical 80km rides are non stop, so I undoubtedly unclip less than an urbanite!

Latest Comments