Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Squirt lube - my experience

I know lubes are a fairly subjective and personal choice, but if anybody is interested in Squirt heres my take on it.

This is a water based wax lube that claims to last up to 7h of riding and keep your drivetrain cleaner than regular lubes.

On road and gravel bike use Ive found it pretty much lives up to its claims, seemed to last well on even 9h rides without hearing any dryness, seems to be less grit in the chain after rides and any dirt either rinses or wipes off easily. Another benefit is that it keep the jockey wheels and chainrings cleaner too, and there are no oil marks on clothing / hands when handling the bike.

Off road its fine in the dry, but when its wet ive found itll only do a few hours, and if its properly dirty then its not really up to the task.

So ill be happy to use it for road and gravel year round, but will probably stick to my usual Finish line dry or wet lubes for trail riding.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

Spangly Shiny. I like my stuff shiny but I don't have a suede brush. I buy WD40 in a 5L canister and soak a cloth with it to wipe the chain down and occasionally take the chain off and drop it in a jam jar full of WD40 and leave it to soak for a day or two. After letting the dirt settle I reuse the WD40 and clean out the jar ready for the next time.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dingaling! A repurposed old suede brush is ideal for cleaning off the sticky bits, then a wipe down with a microfibre cloth prior to the re-application of Squirt. I've been using it several years now in all seasons quite happily although being one who likes things shiny I do degrease the chain and transmission quite regularly. 

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've never got it to run entirely clean, fingers still come away mucky if I touch the chain, but it's nicer than any wet lube I've used.

Had been contemplating using it on my winter bikes/CX bike also, would rather it wash off and have to be re-applied than have a sticky black mess of a chain. Just haven't got round to cleaning chains for application.

Am tempted to try White Lightning, heard lots of good things.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
0 likes

Like Htc, I find Squirt has a high solid content that slowly builds up in a thick black layer around the drive train. My favourites are White Lightning and Finish Line Krytech.

Htc | 4 years ago
1 like

I've found it's very good for keeping the chain running smoothly but looks dirty very quickly and disappears after only a little rain. Chainrings, cassette and jockey wheels usually have dirty wax stuck to them.

Liam Cahill | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's my go-to for cyclocross racing. Keeps the chain and cassette from picking up too much gunk and the short life is fine as I'm washing the bike after every race anyway.

In the summer, I use it on the road bike. Generally, I'm getting around 9hrs of dry training in with a little top-up before the longer rides at the weekend.

Such an underrated product.

Mark B | 4 years ago
0 likes

I put a bit more on every few weeks of normal commuting (It's not a very long commute, so this is roughly in line with the recommendations), or before a longer ride.

I don't degrease every time, but it gradually starts to look dirty so much less frequently I do degrease thoroughly (and then apply twice as the instructions suggest for the first application).

I've been using it a couple of years, year round, and am happy with it. I wouldn't go back to a wet lube and have no interest in trying other brands of dry lube.

(I use my bike for commuting, club runs on road, and occasional rather sedate gravel rides with family).

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

I dont normally degrease between uses as it says not to on the instructions, however I did have to after a particularly dirty ride in Shropshire this weekend as the chain was properly coated in crud even after rinsing, not had that happen before even on mtb.

cyclefaster | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've been using squirt lube for a little while and I've found it to be pretty good over the summer.

I read a few reviews saying you need to put what seems like quite on and I've followed those instructions.  I love the fact it's so much cleaner and creates a lot less black gunk.

I'm waiting to see how it holds up over winter and whether to go back to the usual wet lube. 

I've always degresed my chain thoroughly and before re-lubing with most lubes, but squirt says not to do that on the bottle, interested to see how others use it.

Latest Comments