Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it rude to have a noisy hub?

As the weather is good I've been commuting on my carbon rims recently, which happen to have a very noisy freehub!

Riding home the other day on the cycle path I got some aggro from a cyclist in front of me, who I was perfectly happy to sit well behind until it was safe to pass. She thought I was hassling her because of the angry sounding wheel apparently. I tried briefly to explain that is just what they sound like and there is nothing I could do about it. What do you say to that? Is this person just a bit daft or should I expect some people won't understand why some wheels are noisy? Its not the first time I sensed people feel a bit intimidated by the sound, maybe I should only get them out on the open roads

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
4 likes

The new XTR will be reportedly silent.

Just setting up my new Rohloff build at this very moment, at last, I will see how noisy it is generally.

She must have been going a bit slow for you to be able to aggressively freewheel so much.  Think what she would have been like if you'd had to jam on your (squealy) brakes.

IanGlasgow replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Just setting up my new Rohloff build at this very moment, at last, I will see how noisy it is generally.

I have a Shimano IGH (couldn't afford the Rohloff, maybe next time...) with a belt drive. It is amazingly quiet - but a bit of backpedalling can generate enough noise to alert sensitive pedestrians.

Xenophon2 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

The new XTR will be reportedly silent.

She must have been going a bit slow for you to be able to aggressively freewheel so much.  Think what she would have been like if you'd had to jam on your (squealy) brakes.

Not so noisy at all, except in gear 7.  Expect a 1000 mile break-in period though, despite what they say in the publicity that's the distance it took for mine to become really smooth.   When I started out I initially thought I'd made a very expensive mistake and should've stayed with a derailleur .  For all weather commuting/trekking and whenever weight is no object, there's no better system imho.  If they'd be able to shave off some weight and made it really flawlessly compatible with drop bars, I'd mount one on my gravel bike.

About noisy freehubs:  I hate'm, for me they've been a reason to change kit.  Though I'd never think about b*tching to another rider about the noise of their hub.

LastBoyScout | 4 years ago
4 likes

Just keep turning the pedals  1

Had a chat with another chap this morning who had the loudest freehub I've ever heard, I think - Hunt wheels.

And I thought my Campag ones were bad.

Jack Osbourne snr | 4 years ago
5 likes

Ignore the noise. 

Regardless of it being hub or mouth in origin.

Pages

Latest Comments