Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it rude to have a noisy hub?

As the weather is good I've been commuting on my carbon rims recently, which happen to have a very noisy freehub!

Riding home the other day on the cycle path I got some aggro from a cyclist in front of me, who I was perfectly happy to sit well behind until it was safe to pass. She thought I was hassling her because of the angry sounding wheel apparently. I tried briefly to explain that is just what they sound like and there is nothing I could do about it. What do you say to that? Is this person just a bit daft or should I expect some people won't understand why some wheels are noisy? Its not the first time I sensed people feel a bit intimidated by the sound, maybe I should only get them out on the open roads

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

Global Nomad | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have Hunt wheels and the hub is very noisy when freewheeling,  works very well when commuting in London more useful than a bell, becasue everyone can hear me coming when I need them too. A little more emabarassing when in the countryside or drafting - but just makes me practice getting my cadence right to avoid freewheeling behind someone.  Walking to my office without informing everyone in the building is harder though....

don simon fbpe | 4 years ago
1 like

Just like the battle of the lumens, I'd just get myself a louder hub than yours.

BBB | 4 years ago
4 likes

What I find rude is walking, cycling, running, playing with a dog etc... in the middle of a shared cycle path, while being completely oblivious of oher users and the world around.

People offended by loud freehubs are idiots. 

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

I like my bike to be utterly silent, pretty obsessive about it if I'm honest. My Vision 35s are clicky-clacky, I resolve that by never freewheeling  4

When I returned to cycling a few years ago I was out for a quiet pootle when this lycra'ed adonis came flying by on a downhill section. Thought it was a motorbike at first, then assumed he'd fitted spokey-dokeys for some reason.

Is there are point performance-wise to a loud hub? Is it that they've got more/stronger pawls so they engage quicker?

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

I'm sure my carbon wheels and frame amplify my hub, but it's not nearly loud enough.

Are there any 3rd party add-ons to increase the noise? Something like spokey-dokeys but for the hub.

OldRidgeback replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I'm sure my carbon wheels and frame amplify my hub, but it's not nearly loud enough.

Are there any 3rd party add-ons to increase the noise? Something like spokey-dokeys but for the hub.

There are these:

https://laughingsquid.com/turbospoke-a-fake-exhaust-system-for-bicycles/

It'd be a hoot if a pack of road riders had bikes kitted out with these.

hawkinspeter replied to OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
1 like

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

There are these:

Intriguing ... do they do one in carbon fibre?

1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

There are these:

They're plastic I think. I'm sure you could get some stick on carbon fibre to make it look the part.

hawkinspeter replied to OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
3 likes

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

There are these:

They're plastic I think. I'm sure you could get some stick on carbon fibre to make it look the part.

I've found some carbon fibre wrap which should do the job. BRRRRM! BRRRRRRRRRMMMM!

1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

OldRidgeback wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

There are these:

I've found some carbon fibre wrap which should do the job. BRRRRM! BRRRRRRRRRMMMM!

Ace - a bunch of us were going to get thos for BMX races, but didn't get round to it. BC is rather stricter about the rules now so we'd probably get DQd if we tried.

domats | 4 years ago
4 likes

I loves a noisy hub I dos.  Recently in Holland, going through the dunes on the coast, I thought my Hope was nice and loud, and up comes this Duchy in his Lotto-Jumbo replica kit, overtakes me and coasts for a bit in front of me's like saying "my CK hub is noisier and more expensive than yours mate". 

ktache | 4 years ago
4 likes

Some hubs are noisy, I understand that Chris King's are exceptionally loud, yet everything he makes is proper good.

Scoob_84 | 4 years ago
2 likes

It definitely sends out a passive aggressive signal, especially if your cruising close behind the person in front. 

You can add to this nuisance by back pedalling half a turn to momentarily raise the pitch levels. 

peted76 | 4 years ago
4 likes

I get a bit embarrassed by my passive aggressive hub noise,  in a paceline, if I freewheel, it shouts 'HURRY UP SLOWCOACH' to those in front.. which just means I pedal more and rest less (which is not what I think and not helpful).. 

On the other hand I 'appreciate it' when used instead of a 'bell'..  it sure does alert people to me coming. 

OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
2 likes

Jeez, people getting irritated by noisy freewheels? They need to get a life. Think of it as a safety feature. A noisy freewheel alerts other riders and pedestrians to your presence.

Both my BMX race bikes have very noisy freewheels. It's common in BMX. I do commute short distances on my BMX bikes and I know plenty of other BMXers who commute quite substantial distances on their BMXs.

Seriously, I think I'd just laugh at them if anyone complained about this while I'm riding.

srchar | 4 years ago
2 likes

tommyraleigh86 wrote:

Is this person just a bit daft

Assuming that you weren't furiously back pedalling, yes, ignore. They'd probably have had a go at you for sneaking up on them and giving them a scare if you'd approached in silence.

rtw | 4 years ago
0 likes

If you don't like it, squirt grease in there.

SellMatt | 4 years ago
2 likes

I startle sheep with my Hunt 4 seasons

Welsh boy replied to SellMatt | 4 years ago
3 likes

SellMatt wrote:

I startle sheep with my Hunt 4 seasons

As a Welsh man I can honestly say that I have never heard about that method of "startling sheep" before (or is Hunt 4 seasons a euphemism?)

mikewood | 4 years ago
6 likes

Useful on shared use paths...

a4th | 4 years ago
1 like

It just seems silly to have a really loud hub. That’s a lot of energy to waste on making noise every time you aren’t pedalling. 

jacknorell replied to a4th | 4 years ago
0 likes
a4th wrote:

It just seems silly to have a really loud hub. That’s a lot of energy to waste on making noise every time you aren’t pedalling. 

That's because you should be pedalling...

a.jumper replied to jacknorell | 4 years ago
1 like
jacknorell wrote:
a4th wrote:

If I wanted to work for the whole journey, I would have taken up jogging!

Well-tuned bikes should be silent. Riding with a hub that sounds like it's dying should shame you.

OldRidgeback replied to a.jumper | 4 years ago
1 like

a.jumper wrote:
jacknorell wrote:
a4th wrote:

If I wanted to work for the whole journey, I would have taken up jogging! Well-tuned bikes should be silent. Riding with a hub that sounds like it's dying should shame you.

Well you'd hate being at a BMX race then as there are plenty of well-tuned bikes with noisy freewheels, mine included.

rws replied to a4th | 4 years ago
1 like

a4th wrote:

Really? https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sound-power-level-d_58.html Even an air compressor is just 0.01 W sound power. Marginal gains indeed

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

My Reynolds strike have taken the angry bees approach. Ok on open roads but on the moot (I'm inbetween commute bikes) they can be bloody annoying to me let alone those in front of me I reckon. But what else to do? At least I'm waiting until its safe to overtake...

...not a good idea for race wheels though, you dont wanna let people know you are there!

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

I saw  a guy on a Cannondale today it sounded like he had a playing card in the spokes. That sort of thing was all the rage in the BMX scene for some reason but I can't see the point in it on road bikes. Quiet please. 

Not sure why some mong would view it as harassment though.

The Gavalier | 4 years ago
6 likes

I’ve got a set of Fulcrum Racing Zeros which are absolutely silent. Great when you’re getting an easy ride drafting in a group, they have no idea you’re freewheeling 

ktache | 4 years ago
5 likes

Swinley used to be filled with the sound of angry bees, Hope mainly I believe, now it's more a case of the hiss of e assist, perhaps it's all rattlesnakes.

Organon | 4 years ago
6 likes

From the sound of my reassuringly expensive and loud sounding freehub and the reactions people have you'd think they were being attacked by a rattlesnake. 

This is normally followed by passive aggressive comments from middle aged women like 'don't they have bells any more?' No love you heard me fine, and if you did hear me it means I wasn't pedalling.

Pages

Latest Comments