Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

North Bristol to the city centre race - bus vs train vs car vs bike

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

They've now published a summary article that has more info on the routes: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/raced-north-bristol-city...

(Sorry - I can't be bothered to copy/paste their different routes)

Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

Can we have more info on the actual route?  It looks like the lady that took the bus had to get a bus to the start, so she was later than the others?  Is that fair?

Simon E replied to Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Can we have more info on the actual route?  It looks like the lady that took the bus had to get a bus to the start, so she was later than the others?  Is that fair?

Probably not but it's 21st century British public transport, what do you expect?

<shrug>

Goldfever4 replied to Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I imagine they waited for her to get there before starting.

Ironically, the bus route will have been on the Metrobus, the brand new, hyper-expensive bus route that is still slower than cycling.

Bmblbzzz replied to Goldfever4 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Goldfever4 wrote:

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Ironically, the bus route will have been on the Metrobus, the brand new, hyper-expensive bus route that is still slower than cycling.

But faster than driving in a car. I'm not sure whether this is down to the M32 bus lane or what. Any suggestions, anyone?

brooksby replied to Goldfever4 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Goldfever4 wrote:

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

IIRC Metrobus was originally touted as being more or less a guided bus system, with dedicated routes etc; it ended up being too expensive to do that so the bulk of its routes are just on the normal roads, with the rest of the traffic, just like a 'normal' bus.  I did see a Metrobus on the new busway by Ashton Gate the other day.  Its a bit like seeing some rare bird: I imagine that bus-spotters werelined up to take serial numbers... yes 

fukawitribe replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Goldfever4 wrote:

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

IIRC Metrobus was originally touted as being more or less a guided bus system, with dedicated routes etc; it ended up being too expensive to do that so the bulk of its routes are just on the normal roads, with the rest of the traffic, just like a 'normal' bus.  I did see a Metrobus on the new busway by Ashton Gate the other day.  Its a bit like seeing some rare bird: I imagine that bus-spotters werelined up to take serial numbers... yes 

I see a lot of them around Ashton, passenger number in them look decent - early morning / evening obviously, but see a fair few people outside that when i've been around. From what i've heard indirectly from people that have used that route, seems well regarded.

They were going to be predominantly fully guided, that was really never going to fly, and are mostly on the road but in bus lanes (some 'special' ones') for much of the routes i've seen. It's been a right comedy show getting even what we've got so far, but they seem alright - not tried yet, will next time I need to get back from Aztec without bike/car.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
6 likes

All this proves is that cyclists cause delays for other road users. If the cyclist had not taken part in the race, then one of the other transport options would have won. QED cyclists cause traffic congestion.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
2 likes

The losers also polluted the Environment.

The winner arrived fitter, better mental attitude for the day and nothing to pay for parking.

Daveyraveygravey replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

The losers also polluted the Environment.

The winner arrived fitter, better mental attitude for the day and nothing to pay for parking.

The winner may have arrived mentally scarred though, as he realised that some of those lovely normal folk in cars actually might want to kill him...

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

ibid

3 likes

Bristol doesn't need a quick bike to be quicker than other traffic.

(Pic shamelessly stolen from BristolPost)

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

That does not look like the worlds fastest bike.

HoarseMann replied to ktache | 5 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

That does not look like the worlds fastest bike.

Fast enough though and pretty much a perfect city bike... hub dynamo, son edelux front light, bombproof sturmey 3 speed, folds so can blag it onto a train/bus, mudguards, looks a heap so unattractive to thieves... just the brakes that are probably a bit ropey, especially in the wet.

1 like

It was the bike.

Latest Comments