Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Blaming Children…

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

government are brilliant at blaming children, I complained about the school fed 'gory story' a few years back. If you don't wear hi-vis children, prepare to die!

hawkinspeter replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

government are brilliant at blaming children, I complained about the school fed 'gory story' a few years back. If you don't wear hi-vis children, prepare to die!

Dagnammit!

I just spent way too long trying to get that video to play.

Here's a proper link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbA6x0FPsJA

BehindTheBikesheds replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

HawkinsPeter wrote:

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Dagnammit!

I just spent way too long trying to get that video to play.

Here's a proper link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbA6x0FPsJA

Sorry, it was just a poorly cut screen grab I took years back. It was amongst a number of 'gory story' PIF aimed at victim blaming kids as well as leaflets etc being handed out at schools, I was bloody furious and wrote to the people involved.

Basically I got a 'well the government says xxx so that's what we're doing'. I just wanted to smash things including the people taking no repsonsibility for this crap!

ktache | 5 years ago
3 likes

The automatic blaming of dead children seems a little bit wrong, but, you know, the power and control of the motoring industry.

I believe that in the case of a cyclist killing a child on the road, the child would of course be absolved of any blame.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

Maybe an introduction would help, here:

Quote:

Injury Prevention Research Centre, Department of Community Health, and Injury Prevention Research Centre, Department of Community Health, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Abstract-Pedestrian injuries are a leading cause of childhood mortality. In this paper a case study of a child pedestrian death is presented in order to examine the apportionment of responsibility for child pedestrian injuries. The case presented illustrates how responsibility is located with the child, whilst structural contributors, in particular aspects of the transport system, are ignored. The strength and pervasiveness of the ideology of victim blaming in child pedestrian injuries is explained by the special position that the road transport system holds in relation to dominant economic interests. Victim blaming ideology is a strategy that serves to maintain these interests at the expense and suffering of children. Increased recognition of the political roots of the ideology of victim blaming in child pedestrian injuries, by the sectors of the community who suffer its consequences, will be an important step towards effective preventive action.

It's a bit old (1994), but still relevant.

Latest Comments