Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain length change with smaller cassette?

I am hoping for a simple answer here but when my bike was brought it came with a 11-32 cassette and I am guessing canyon gave me the optimum chain length for it. However I immediately swapped it out for a 11-28 (the other is gathering dust - I will never use it).

I didn't shorten the chain and on replacing the chain I have just kept it the same but due to change it and wondered if I should shorten it my one link? Two links? Is there a rule of thumb?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

If you do shorten an existing chain, shorten it the opposite side from the existing link.

I've swapped to my winter wheels on my tourer which have a 30 rather than 34 big cog and I didn't shorten the chain. No significant issues although shifting is a fraction slower.

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
1 like

One link shorter would be correct- the lowest sprocket is 4 teeth fewer , so the chain path is two teeth less. 1 link = 2 teeth. 

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
1 like

Most chains come with 114 half links (57 full) and then you can take it down to size with a chain splitter. One full link between 32 and 28 sounds about right to me, thinking of the size of the sprockets involved.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

OK checking that link (pun intended) it shifts one link between 32 and 28 cassette so in theory if they supplied me with the right size chain I can just reduce it by one link

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

As I remember it Shimano say put it on big and big and add 1 link.

Latest Comments