Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The rise of the Electric Vehicle - Cyclists new danger?

Yes it sounds like a Daily Mail headline although it should probably be the other way around if it was a DM article but there is a hidden or should I say silent issue here. 

Personally I am very happy with the reduction of polluting cars and motorbikes with the popularity of electric vehicles but I really think they should be fitted, as standard, with some sort of noise to alert people, cyclists and other road users they are there. Too many times now I have been scared the hell out of when a electric bike or car comes whizzing passed without a warning. It is bad enough when you can hear a car or bike revving in the distance getting closer but at least you know it is about to happen and can adjust you position/style.

Anyway just a thought I think is worth talking about before someone gets injured. Not a fan of noise pollution either really but I am sure there could be a balance.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

fenix | 5 years ago
3 likes

Can't say I've ever been surprised by an electric car - as has been said - its the road noise more than the engine noise.

I was surprised by the shadow of a double decker bus looming over me before I'd heard it. 

I think it was a combination of low sun, a hill and a headwind drowning out its engine. 

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
5 likes

We Have a 18 Leaf.  The car emits a sound below 30 mph to aid pedestrians and other users to hear it.  It is very quiet at slow speeds.  Once going 25mph+ tyre noise makes most of the noise like any car. 

Yorkshire wallet replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
4 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

We Have a 18 Leaf.  The car emits a sound below 30 mph to aid pedestrians and other users to hear it.  It is very quiet at slow speeds.  Once going 25mph+ tyre noise makes most of the noise like any car. 

Can't you just wind your windows down and blast out some old school rave?

I got passed by Tesla one day and tyres are pretty noisy things at 60mph. 

kil0ran | 5 years ago
3 likes

I think its a question on relying on all your senses - you can see something before you hear it and I certainly listen on approach to blind junctions. Of course that doesn't account for other cyclists so it's still a case of approaching with caution. I think over 20mph road noise from tyres is loud enough, particularly in quiter environments. There's bloke with a monster eBike where I live and that thing sounds like turbo trainer as it goes past.

aegisdesign | 5 years ago
6 likes

It's like that Garmin rear radar thingy. What are you supposed to do with the information that there is a car behind you?

HarryTrauts | 5 years ago
8 likes

My experience has been that there is very little noise from EVs when they are moving at slow speeds.  I've been surprised by a Prius in a car park more than once. 

When out on the open road, they make plenty of noise, a surprising amount, in fact.  This is through contact between the road surface and tyres.  Very recently I was aware of a car approaching from behind and as it passed me I realised it was a Nissan Leaf.  I'd heard it coming well before it was close by and the sound was virtually the same as a petrol car.

We've become used to motorised vehicles making a noise and many people don't bother to look as a result.  If you can't hear it, it's not there.  It may take time but we'll soon work it out that we have to use our eyes and ears to cross a road safely.  This way, it will also benefit cyclists - or should we have noises added to our bikes?

AfterPeak replied to HarryTrauts | 5 years ago
0 likes

harragan wrote:

or should we have noises added to our bikes?

Some may argue cyclists should however I would say I average 15/16mph wereas a electric car will zoom passed at twice that.

Pages

Latest Comments