Home

I have just bought a small, Boardman Pro Carbon SLR. The medium size, on the Boardman site, is advertised at 7.3kg. Halfords, and review sites, including this one, have it at tiny fraction over 7kg. When I got it home I weighed it and it showed 7.8kg. The Halfords shop have weighed it with the same result. That's a massive difference. Boardman have told me and Halfords that the difference is an acceptable tolerance and could be down to; paint, wheels, saddle etc.

Any one got any thoughts?

53 comments

Canyon48 [993 posts] 5 months ago
2 likes

Bikes are usually weighed without pedals, could that be part of the difference?

mtbtomo [262 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

Its probably well within the manufacturing tolerances for all the components added together, and as previous, manufacturer bike weights never include pedals.

check12 [220 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

Bottle cages off also

part_robot [304 posts] 5 months ago
2 likes

Perfectly normal. If your frameset is painted I bet the weight of that alone is +/- 100g due to paint and resin variations. Take off pedals, add on tyre variations, add on a bit of manufacturer BS and you're there. The only company I've seen consistently spot on is Canyon. Most don't even list the weight due to these effects.

Wouldn't worry about it. You'll not feel a couple of hundred grams on the road unless you convince yourself you can. My 8.4kg and 7.4kg road bikes respond identically.

efail [128 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response. No pedals, no tat. Basic. Even if I accept the BS (quote), is 500g above their claimed, 'super lightweight' (quote Boardman website, medium), acceptable? It's like asking someone to carry an extra bottle of water up the 152,00 m  of 'elevation gain'(Strava) that I did last year, for absolutely nothing.

Bobbinogs [268 posts] 5 months ago
8 likes
efail wrote:

Thanks for the response. No pedals, no tat. Basic. Even if I accept the BS (quote), is 500g above their claimed, 'super lightweight' (quote Boardman website, medium), acceptable? It's like asking someone to carry an extra bottle of water up the 152,000 of 'elevation gain'(Strava) that I did last year, for absolutely nothing.

You do realise how ridiculous you sound? Just calculate 500g as a percentage of your body weight and learn to smirk at the insignificance of it all.

barbarus [535 posts] 5 months ago
7 likes

Have a large poo before heading out riding?

0 likes
Bobbinogs wrote:
efail wrote:

You do realise how ridiculous you sound? Just calculate 500g as a percentage of your body weight and learn to smirk at the insignificance of it all.

Me? Ridiculous? Thank you. 

ibr17xvii [297 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

Although it wouldn't bother me too much personally I'm kinda with the OP on this one, half a kilo is too much of a difference.

Manufacturers should weigh the bike as shipped with no "extras" on it & report that weight so it's accurate IMHO.

alansmurphy [1832 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

I'll bet your hair gel weighs more...

kil0ran [924 posts] 5 months ago
2 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

Doesn't seem to hold Kittel back...

Then again, I hear Alpecin use carbon nanotubes in their hair care products

BehindTheBikesheds [2033 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

I get what the OP is saying and I agree with them. The bike is advertised as "super lightweight", except it isn't and is not just marginally heavier but substantially heavier thus it actually breaches what it is purporting/selling itself to be.

if the OP had know it was going to weigh that much then they may have chosen another product elsewhere, afterall part of that decision when buying a bike and some components is down to how heavy the bike is, we all do it.

Personally I would reject the bike as false advertising/not as described quoting the consumer Rights Act and get a full refund and buy something else if it bothered me that much/felt I was being diddled, I have done similar with some 'lightweight' chains that were nothing of the sort and for which was the main reason i bought them.

philhubbard [144 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

Most parts on a bike have a standard tolerance of +/-10%, thats why you have companies such as Sky weighing every tyre and measuring every stem. You may have just been unfortunate and got some wheels and tyres which were slightly heavier than the norm that could make up 500g. I know for a fact we used to get the same Conti tyres that could vary by over 40g

0 likes

Thank you for all of your comments, humerous 'and' constructive. I know it doesn't sound a great deal of weight (actually 14% heavier) but part of it is the disappointment I felt, after reading the hype, and then weighing the bike. I'll wait and see what Halfords have to say today, but I won't hold my breath expecting to hear from Boardman. 

By the way...what's 'hair gel'?

velochris [35 posts] 5 months ago
2 likes
efail wrote:

Thank you for all of your comments, humerous 'and' constructive. I know it doesn't sound a great deal of weight (actually 14% heavier) but part of it is the disappointment I felt, after reading the hype, and then weighing the bike. I'll wait and see what Halfords have to say today, but I won't hold my breath expecting to hear from Boardman. 

By the way...what's 'hair gel'?

Do a quick search on Halfords website to find other stores with the same bike in stock. Phone them and ask them to weight the bike. If all the bikes are coming out plus 500g it seems less plausible to quote a plus or minus range and appears to be more the norm. This would support your case if you do feel the 500g is am issue.

arckuk [86 posts] 5 months ago
3 likes

I realise that 500 g doesn't make much difference to overall performance, but I think that that's taking the piss a bit - yes there are tolerances on individual components but there are many components on a bike, and some of those will be slightly lighter than average and some slightly heavier. When a bike is advertised at a specific weight, it should be there or thereabouts (100-200 g variance is acceptable, but 200g over should be the exception rather than the rule). Half a kilo is a lot! If Boardman can't make their bikes more repeatably than that, then they've got serious manufacturing issues.

stomec [54 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

How accurate are your scales?  Is it not more likely that they are out?  Have you tried different scales and calibrated them with accurately weighed volumes of water?

IanEdward [199 posts] 5 months ago
3 likes
Quote:

If all the bikes are coming out plus 500g it seems less plausible to quote a plus or minus range and appears to be more the norm.

I had this issue with some lightweight hiking gear (Mountain Hardwear sleeping bags...).

Quoting a plus or minus range is the most dishonest/inaccurate part of this scenario I think, does anyone really believe that there are bikes out there that are 730g LIGHTER than stated? 

Apart from Pinnarello of course, who just took the lightest 10% and marketed them as extra-light and charged extra smiley

p.s. re: 'just have a poo' comments, does anyone NOT take a poo before they go for a ride? (recent Giro winners excluded of course)

0 likes

When I went back to Halfords they weighed the bike on their scales after I had weighed it at home. They are on the case but I think that is a good idea to check if other branches have them in. I was hoping someone on here may have bought one for comparison. Just out of interest, has anyone ever weighed their 'new' bike less pedals etc? 

HalfWheeler [673 posts] 5 months ago
5 likes

Is this a serious post? Jesus...

Never, in a million years, could I imagine this spoiling a day out on the bike. Have a shit before you go out, that must be worth a half kilo weight save.

fizrar6 [37 posts] 5 months ago
4 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

I bet your ego weighs more.

Welsh boy [536 posts] 5 months ago
7 likes

If you are that bothered about the weight why didn't you weigh it before you bought it?  And as for Strava, did you really only do 152.00m of elevation gain last year?  Forget weighing things, forget recording things on some website in the hope of impressing some one (why else would you be telling total strangers how much you had done, no one else gives a shit) and just ride your bike and enjoy it.

0 likes
fizrar6 wrote:
alansmurphy wrote:

I bet your ego weighs more.

I leave that at home when riding and save it up for people getting nouty on a website in defence of someone they never met. Bless you princess.

Woldsman [257 posts] 5 months ago
2 likes

I’m carrying a bit too much timber to worry about half a kilo or so, but if i was lighter and I’d spent such a considerable amount on a bike that clearly isn’t super light I’d take it back as not as advertised. I can’t quite understand why so many are giving the OP a hard time. Hey ho. 

the_jm [43 posts] 5 months ago
1 like
efail wrote:

Thank you for all of your comments, humerous 'and' constructive. I know it doesn't sound a great deal of weight (actually 14% heavier) but part of it is the disappointment I felt, after reading the hype, and then weighing the bike. 

You should only feel half the disappointment as it's actually < 7% heavier...

2old2mould [78 posts] 5 months ago
10 likes

All those people giving the OP sh*t, have a word with yourselves.

If you went into a petrol station and filled up your car, paid for the fuel and then got in your car to discover that the tank was even 5% short would you go back inside and kick off about it?

Fcuking right you would.

If you went into a pub and the Landlord poured you 500ml instead of a pint would you mention it?

I suspect so.

All the Billy Big Bollocks chat about having a shit etc... ridiculous. When companies think it's OK to quote one figure and short change you, and you accept it, then it just makes it all alright for some other firm to take the piss and we all lose.

Well done OP, take Boardman to task over it. I suspect they would have kicked off if you'd paid them 7% less while suggesting that the monies offered were well within your economic tolerances.

2 likes

I'd be concerned my petrol tank had a leak and thank my landlord for pouring a proper pint with a head and not being a southern softie...

fenix [1002 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

If you're not happy send it back but you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. It always comes out really well in bike tests.

In the real world you won't notice the extra weight.

IanEdward [199 posts] 5 months ago
3 likes
Quote:

Have a shit before you go out, that must be worth a half kilo weight save.

Seriously, who are these perverts/masochists who go out for a ride with a half kilo package in the tubes? In fact, does anyone NOT take a poo before going for a ride? It's not a weight saving if you would be doing it anyway.

Anyway, is this a new thing, to pretend we don't care about the weight of our road bikes? Is half the industry not dedicated to making things lighter? 

The Gavalier [96 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

Have you taken all the crap off like reflectors, chain guard (bell even)? And what size is that weight quoted for, because that makes a difference? Also it depends how the bike has been built up, is the spec you received exactly the same as the one Boardman are quoting the weight for? Different inner tubes, valve stems, tyre widths, bar tape/end caps, crank/stem lengths can all make a difference, even cables and outers. When you take into account all of these potential variables you can see why so many manufacturers don’t even go down the route of advertising bike weights. 

Pages