Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Very scary incident near Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire, 26th June - and a plea for help

I need a witness if anyone was cycling around Bolton Abbey on the morning of 26th June.

So at about 10AM I was riding into Bolton Abbey from the road coming from Skipton when a small red car came the other way. The drive stopped in the middle of the single track road and started f-ing away at me. Naturally, rather than stopping I continued. Two minutes later the same driver came chasing after me, swerving and nearly running me off the road. He stopped to get out, so I accelerated away. He then followed me, sitting behind me revving his engine and shouting out the window. I tried to get away,  doing U turns, signalling right then turning left at junctions and so on, but he still continued, swerving at me and trying to run me off the road. Eventually, after I did two U-turns in quick succession, he saw me coming the opposite way, crossed into my lane (head on), making me do an emergency manouver to stop going over his bonnet. I stopped, got my phone out and started to dial 999, but he started getting out the car, so I got back on my bike and legged it as fast as I could. When I next stopped, I realised that I didn't have any details, such as the car registration, but I had noticed he was a guy aged about 50 in a smallish red car.

Did anyone see any of this? There were loads of cyclists about. If so, can you PM me, so I can get enough details to call the police.

I am scared shitless after this incident - never seen anything like this in decades of cycling. It makes me very close to giving up.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments