Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Injured cyclist froze to death after police couldn’t find her

Jacqueline Parsons' body was found by dog walker in Hull’s Western Cemetery last Sunday morning...

An injured cyclist froze to death in a cemetery in Hull after police responding to a call from a member of the public.

The body of the woman, named locally as 53-year-old Jacqueline Parsons, was found by a dog walker in the East Yorkshire city’s Western Cemetery on the morning of Sunday 28 October.

The Hull Daily Mail reports that a post mortem established that she had died of hypothermia.

Two officers from Humberside Police searched the cemetery for her in response to a call at 4.50pm on Saturday from a member of the public who had discovered her injured in the cemetery.

Her brother told the newspaper: “It is bad enough to find out that I had lost a sister, and after hearing that you just hope that there was no pain.

"Then we found out that that not only was she in pain but she was on her own too."

He continued: “It was on Tuesday evening that I got this new information that actually the passer-by had seen my sister in distress. She was complaining about her leg and whether she broke it or not I don’t know. But she was in a lot of pain and she was shouting for help.

“The passer-by asked her if she wanted him to call ambulance and she said ‘no I want help.’ He left her there and went home and the way I’ve heard it is that it was an hour and a half before he called the police.

“The police went there, found nothing and then went away so this was a complete shock to us."

The man who initially found Ms Parsons was said to be “absolutely distraught” at learning of her death.

Mr Parsons said: “It’s a difficult thing for him that he has got to take forward with him and I wouldn’t like to be in his position.

“However, the surprise for me was the police because after looking at their statement there was no mention that they had got called out the previous evening. There was a woman on a bike in distress on Saturday evening and then lo and behold on Sunday morning there was a woman dead lying in the cemetery alongside her bike.

“It is just absolutely awful and the whole family is in complete shock at the moment.”

Humberside Police confirmed that the incident had been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

A spokesman for the force said: “A post-mortem has since been carried out and the woman’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

“We are linking the two calls together. We are now acting on behalf of HM Coroner to gather evidence on their behalf.

“We want to offer our condolences to the woman’s family at this difficult time.

“We referred this to the IOPC as is standard procedure,” he added.

“This has been passed back to our Professional Standards Department who will conduct a full assessment and investigation.”

Simon joined as news editor in 2009 and is now the site’s community editor, acting as a link between the team producing the content and our readers. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, he has reported on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, the latest developments in the bike industry and the sport’s biggest races. Now back in London full-time after 15 years living in Oxford and Cambridge, he loves cycling along the Thames but misses having his former riding buddy, Elodie the miniature schnauzer, in the basket in front of him.

Latest Comments