Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spitting

How does the forum feel about spitting? Do you regularly expectorate? Do you gob at annoyances like an angry camel? Is it a filthy habit that  you'd never stoop to?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

theraPi | 4 years ago
0 likes

During the winter, quite often. Never at warm air temperatures.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
5 likes

All of which reminds me of the day my 8-year-old daughter told us she had a boyfriend at school and everyone called him Bubbles.  I asked if it was because he had curly, blond hair and she said no, he never carried a handkerchief. 

handlebarcam | 4 years ago
1 like

If you're caught, just pay the two dollars.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

As soon as I start riding especially in the cold it just comes up my throat, if I swallow it I get an awful stomach.  There is a lot of it.

I ride solo and I spit, never figured how to do the nose blast so use a handkerchief and tissues if I have a cold.  With an occassional wipe with the glove when my nose runs, which then gets wiped on the shorts.

I'm on a road or in the woods.

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Nothing wrong with it I guess. If it needs clearing it needs clearing. I tend to not snot-rocket as my nose/eye plumbing must be messed up on one side and some of it seems to make it's way into the corner of my eyes! I'm more of a snort and spit guy.

If you're in the middle of the countryside then who cares? Obviously group riding could be a problem.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
6 likes

As a sufferer of continual low level respiratory inflammation, my lungs are regularly full of thick creamy white crap for weeks on end, especially during the winter. Probably something to do with the cold air. It has to come out and a really hard exercise blow out on the bike is a great way to clear it, unfortunately this does involve quite a bit of hawking, hacking and spitting though I do try really hard to get it down a drain or into the verge.

In my younger days I'd cheerfully push myself to a level of exertion that would cause me to throw up at the finish line, but I've grown out of that.

Dingaling | 4 years ago
1 like

Disgusting habit though I do accept that if you catch an insect you are going to spit it out, but that can be done without spraying anybody else. I've ridden with groups where riders do it and it made me glad that I do most of my riding alone.

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
4 likes

Don't do, never would, never felt the need to.

Don't understand the need to blow out a snot rocket either

srchar replied to EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
4 likes

EddyBerckx wrote:

Don't do, never would, never felt the need to. Don't understand the need to blow out a snot rocket either

Do you just let the snot dribble down your face instead? Genuine question. I'd look like a sickly toddler if I didn't clear my nose now and then, particularly now it's getting a bit parky out.

Nick T replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

EddyBerckx wrote:

Don't do, never would, never felt the need to. Don't understand the need to blow out a snot rocket either

Do you just let the snot dribble down your face instead? Genuine question. I'd look like a sickly toddler if I didn't clear my nose now and then, particularly now it's getting a bit parky out.

never really suffer the dribble nose personally, I think I've used the farmers hanky maybe twice in my life. No qualms about doing so if needed though, just check for anyone behind first please guys I've been hit before 

Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
4 likes

Spitting while cycling? Very rarely. Blowing snot rockets? All the time.

Latest Comments