Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Opinion on this damage

//i.ibb.co/QnG9tkK/IMG-20190616-144251.jpg)

//i.ibb.co/wccr8J0/IMG-20190628-022940.jpg)

This is the Canyon Grail cockpit replacement fitted to my bike. The original had more pronounced damage in the same place. Canyon call this a cosmetic imperfection, and have offered a touch up pen.

What would your opinion be of this? On a new bike?

I know very little about carbon fibre but my impression is that minor damage to composite materials can create major problems, not to mention further damage by water ingress due to lack of clear coat. Canyon contends that because the cockpit passed its CT scan post-manufacture the damage is only cosmetic, as I said.

I really don't know what to do.

I think it's likely that even if I manage to get another replacement (doubtful) then that will have similar faults. Canyon UK even admitted that someone's Grail in their office has similar damage. It seems to be an acceptible manufacturing QC to them, whereas I really don't think it is acceptible. I was hoping to avoid returning the bike, something I envisage I may also have difficulty with considering that I technically received it 3 months ago even though I returned the bike after a few days for the replacement cockpit only to wait 8+ weeks for them to return the bike sans new cockpit & wait a further week for the CP for lbs to fit.

It might be my imagination but I am sure the damage is slightly worse after only 2 weeks of riding it  20

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

fenix | 4 years ago
0 likes

You'd not have noticed that if it were a white Frame. I'd be fine with it. Isn't the grail the gravel bike anyway ? It's not going to be perfect for long.

Jimnm | 4 years ago
0 likes

It doesn’t look too bad the imperfection 

longassballs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm thanks very much for the replies. I accept the damage is cosmetic but as I said lack the knowledge as to whether it would worsen. You've both put my mind to rest, somewhat, but still annoyed. It's in such a visible place  20 Surely there must be loads of Grail owners equally disappointed?

I change my mind from accepting it one minute to just wanting to return the bike the next. I equate it to buying a new car; if there were cosmetic damage you'd either get a replacement, get it repaired or get a discount. To only get a replacement that is also damaged makes me feel cheated.

The feeling of frustration I think is only exacerbated by the famous hover bars completely fail in their function. By giving the tops compliance Canyon has stiffened the drops & hoods thereby making their bars LESS comfortable than normal ones. I love the rest of the bike but I HATE the bars

Canyon48 | 4 years ago
3 likes

I agree with Canyon, it's not structurally or significantly damaged, that's a typical cosmetic imperfection in the outer wrap of the carbon.

Typically in carbon manufacture, anything which has a sharp edge ends up with these sort of imperfections as the carbon layers aren't pushed up right into the mold.

From a structural design/analysis point of view, this is a non-critical area as it's not a load path, so I would have no concerns about the structural integrity (I'm a design/analysis aerospace engineer and I specialize in composite component design/analysis).

It is, however, a bit of a pain as it's cosmetically imperfect. If it were me, on a gravel/cyclocross bike, I wouldn't be too worried and I'd simply go over it with a black sharpie. My gravel/cx bike has chips and dinks out of it after typical use! However, if it were my fancy Canyon road bike (my Sunday best I suppose), it would bug me quite a lot - so I sympathise.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
4 likes

If it were my new bike I would be disappointed, but, because I'm old and don't have time to make a fuss, only a little.  It does look like cosmetic damage, perhaps done on removing the frame from the mould.  It won't cause your bike to fail but you will always know it's there and I can see this would detract from the pride of ownership.

Rather than wait for Canyon to respond to another complaint I would take some very fine sandpaper to it, then a faint smear of filler, then paint it black.  Job jobbed.

Some might say my approach is foolish and could conceivably invalidate my warranty but, as I've said, I have little patience with such a viewpoint.

Best of luck.

Mybike replied to mike the bike | 4 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

If it were my new bike I would be disappointed, but, because I'm old and don't have time to make a fuss, only a little.  It does look like cosmetic damage, perhaps done on removing the frame from the mould.  It won't cause your bike to fail but you will always know it's there and I can see this would detract from the pride of ownership.

Rather than wait for Canyon to respond to another complaint I would take some very fine sandpaper to it, then a faint smear of filler, then paint it black.  Job jobbed.

Some might say my approach is foolish and could conceivably invalidate my warranty but, as I've said, I have little patience with such a viewpoint.

Best of luck.

I wouldent do that it might void the warenty on the frame. 

Latest Comments