Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

American Classic Victory Wheelset

I am soon to have a cycling trip in the Pyrenees for a week and was after some feedback on a pair of wheels that I am eyeing up to accompany me. I have been offered  an American Classic Victory 30 wheelset at a price of £250.00 from my LBS. I trust the owner completely but this was the last wheelset that I would have anticipated him recommending.

I don't think that this wheelset is overly popular these days, but my initial viewing was positive and they seemed to spin for an eternity. Has anybody else owned a set of American Classic Victory wheels, and was the experience a positive or negative one?   

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Pushing50 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Maviczap - I think that your final statement is probably on the money. Or he managed to get end of line stock very cheaply and can offload them at a reasonable price. 

II think that they are 22mm narrow (or wide depending on how you look at it) and I was going to wrap them in conti Grand Prix 4000sII 25c tires which are inclusive in the price above. If you haven't experienced trouble with hubs I cannot see that I am going to be too disappointed. 

Oh the conflict between the internet retailer and the LBS sometimes tears my conscience to shreds!

joeegg | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sorry,should have explained WTB used American Classic hubs.

Pushing50 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I didn't think that they were still in business in the UK. This was one of my concerns. 

I have been offered the wheelset at £250, so still considering them. 

joeegg | 4 years ago
0 likes

I ran a set of WTB mountain bike wheels . Very light wheels but the sealed roller bearings were very small,an odd size and expensive to replace,and did wear out quickly.

For an extra 50 odd quid a new pair of Campag Zondas.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

They're no longer in business so spares might be an issue

maviczap replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

They're no longer in business so spares might be an issue

Indeed, the owners closed up the business last year, or 2017, but there's probably a few spares kicking around.

I have a pair of climbing wheels with AC hubs, clinchers which weigh about 1380 gems, but the rims aren't the Victory ones, something lighter. Hubs haven't given me any issues, and are easy to work on.

Depends if you want wider rims, as aren't the Victory the old narrow section ones?

I'm going to get my AC hubs laced onto some wider rims at some point, but in the meantime I bought these from Superstar when they had an offer on

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc-ultra--road2-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Almost as light as my AC wheels, but tubeless ready, wider rims. The freehub is nice and quiet, which I prefer.

I also have a pair of Campag Zondas. About the same weight as my old Ultegra wheels, about 1600grms I think.

So not as light, but good wheels, freehub is the quietest I've every had and I managed to make them run with tubeless tyres.

Either would be good wheels

Even though you trust your LBS I think he's trying to dispose of stock he doesn't want or can't shift easily

Latest Comments