Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Orica, Un acuerdo de firme la Porte?

Sorry for the linguistic pun but thought it was interesting.

Who else might it be?

Not Wiggo......

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

54 comments

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just that Cort rhymes with Porte(your opening strapline)

stevemarks replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

...and there was I trying to figure out if that the meaning of Court was a reference to Orica's roster being full now. lol

0 likes

Nice signing....better punmanship!!

stevemarks replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

Great signing. I'm intrigued though, my linguistic skills do not stretch that far. please enlighten me.

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Orica, Un acuerdo de firme la Cort

Now that is a good deal
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/54890/orica-greenedge-signs-ma...

0 likes

They could easily switch their attention to Kelderman or Gesink(or any of the Belkin guys who will be without a sponsor/team next season)?

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

My understanding was that Wiggins was targeting the track, namely team pursuit. It that's the case then staying in Manchester with Sky would be best.

Taking of team pursuit I also believe Cavendish is going to try for the squad as he's still missing Olympic gold.

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

So many capital letters....

VVV73 replied to drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

So is it not allowed? was making a point...HIS DAD IS AN AUSSIE , incase anyone forgot ! as a lot of English seem too !

benji p replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I agree... IT MUST BE TERRIBLY IMPORTANT IF IT'S IN CAPITAL LETTERS  45

VVV73 wrote:

So is it not allowed?

Stop it, mate, if for no other reason that it's annoying as hell, distracting and rude. Take a look around, no one else does it. Calm down. It seems you do it just to shout. If you can't write it without the capital letters I'm pretty sure it's not worth reading, mate.

VVV73 replied to benji p | 9 years ago
0 likes
benji p wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I agree... IT MUST BE TERRIBLY IMPORTANT IF IT'S IN CAPITAL LETTERS  45

VVV73 wrote:

So is it not allowed?

Stop it, mate, if for no other reason that it's annoying as hell, distracting and rude. Take a look around, no one else does it. Calm down. It seems you do it just to shout. If you can't write it without the capital letters I'm pretty sure it's not worth reading, mate.

Whatever mate, sensitive? Knew I would get trolled when I got back, I explained I didn't mean any Agro and it was important ALL AUSTRALIANS are  1

dingo replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
VVV73 wrote:

... ALL AUSTRALIANS are...

Mate, you're giving all of us a bad name...

benji p replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
VVV73 wrote:

Whatever mate, sensitive?

Whatever mate, INsensitive?

jova54 replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
VVV73 wrote:
drheaton wrote:

So is it not allowed? was making a point...HIS DAD IS AN AUSSIE , incase anyone forgot ! as a lot of English seem too !

[Pendant] His Dad was an Aussie, but he isn't any longer coz he's dead [/Pendant]

And please stop shouting, we English find it very bad manners.  1

VVV73 replied to jova54 | 9 years ago
0 likes
jova54 wrote:
VVV73 wrote:
drheaton wrote:

[Pendant] His Dad was an Aussie, but he isn't any longer coz he's dead [/Pendant]

And please stop shouting, we English find it very bad manners.  1

Talk about bad manners, what about your Bad Taste ... hypocrite...totally uncalled for!

VVV73 replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hey Ray,
Found this about Gary wiggins too.
Seems he did inherit some of his ability from dad or maybe even his drive to be better then his bad dad at same events  1

Wiggins represented Australia several times at world track championships winning gold in the kilo and team pursuit in 1977, and silver in the 15 km event.[6][7] He was national champion in the 1 km time trial, and the 4000m team pursuit as part of the Victoria state team. He had a surge of speed at the end of races, which won sprint finishes.[

Time trailer, team pursuit  1

0 likes

The point I was making was that Britain's joint top Olympic medallist of all time could just as easily have qualified for Australia(Ian Thorpe and Dawn Fraser would top him there though) or Belgium(Where surprisingly he'd top all of the Belgian Olympic cyclists of all time put together!!).....thanks to his mother being such a......what's the word......'free spirit' ?

Perhaps I should have put a LOL in?

The argument between nature(genetics) and nurture(training) is an interesting one......Wiggo's father 'left' when he was two so would only impact on the nature side of things.

Have I missed something or have we fallen out over something.....it is Northstar isn't it?

Maybe it's just the capital letters make your posts seem more aggressive than they actually are?

VVV73 replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

The point I was making was that Britain's joint top Olympic medallist of all time could just as easily have qualified for Australia(Ian Thorpe and Dawn Fraser would top him there though) or Belgium(Where surprisingly he'd top all of the Belgian Olympic cyclists of all time put together!!).....thanks to his mother being such a......what's the word......'free spirit' ?

The argument between nature(genetics) and nurture(training) is an interesting one......Wiggo's father 'left' when he was two so would only impact on the nature side of things.

Have I missed something or have we fallen out over something.....it is Northstar isn't it?

Maybe it's just the capital letters make your posts seem more aggressive than they actually are?

I rate Sir Steven Redgrave your greatest Olympian, and Phil Taylor your greatest sportsman ( best we will EVER see) .

Gene's bro I was refering to wiggo dad, I wasn't serious, I know his dad was a alcoholic, read how he tried to tell brad how to ride and abusive from sidlene, when Brad came to Australia to meet him, so much Anti aussie in here from pommy chrony's..

Caps just an Emphasise on his dad, not shouting, mean more then one think... Just good banter mate, no agro here  1

Were well on the nationality bit, its ridiculous...Matt LE Tessier played did /or could have played for England /wales and france. I can Play for Italy and Australia  1

ray silvester replied to VVV73 | 9 years ago
0 likes
VVV73 wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

I rate Sir Steven Redgrave your greatest Olympian, and Phil Taylor your greatest sportsman ( best we will EVER see) .

Gene's bro I was refering to wiggo dad, I wasn't serious, I know his dad was a alcoholic, read how he tried to tell brad how to ride and abusive from sidlene, when Brad came to Australia to meet him, so much Anti aussie in here from pommy chrony's..

Caps just an Emphasise on his dad, not shouting, mean more then one think... Just good banter mate, no agro here  1

Were well on the nationality bit, its ridiculous...Matt LE Tessier played did /or could have played for England /wales and france. I can Play for Italy and Australia  1

LeTissier was born in the Channel Islands who don't(or at least didn't) have a FIFA recognised national team....their young footballers tended to get scouted by clubs from those countries due to proximity and at the time there was a restriction on overseas players so the pressure was often bought to bear from the clubs for the youngsters to naturalise....it happened to an even greater extent in Italy where at one point almost half of it's national team were actually born in Argentina but naturalised in order to join Serie A clubs and a similar thing with Brazilians in Portugal and so on.

The current climate is a bit different especially within the European Union as restraint of trade laws forbid leagues to limit foreign players born within the Union.The only limit on those born outside of the Union is that they must be an internationally capped player in their current age group(and even that can be waived in certain circumstances).

My views on which country you represent is that if there is technically a choice you should represent the nationality that you FEEL......and then stick to it.......not pick the one with which you think you have the best chance of being selected for or winning things with.Young Manchester United star Adnan Januzaj had openly expressed his strong pride in his Kosovar/Albanian roots but hey-ho they ain't going to a World Cup any time soon so it's 'pass the Moules-Frites I'll play for Belgium'.

Cavendish is an example of what I feel competing internationally is all about in that he visibly swells with pride when able to wear his Isle of Man colours in the Commonwealth Games as compared to him competing under the umbrella of Team GB in the Olympics and such.

There have been what I consider some scandalous attempts to hijack athletes into GB/England tracksuits........in fact it's a standing joke that there's a guy with a stopwatch at Heathrow Airport and if you can run from check in to passport control in under 10 seconds it's 'Welcome to Britain'!! And as for the England Cricket team......I now refer to it as 'Rest of The World'.

And anyway I guess the Aussies would have some claim to the nurture in Brad's case anyway due to Shane Sutton?

0 likes
Quote:

LeTissier was born in the Channel Islands who don't(or at least didn't) have a FIFA recognised national team....their young footballers tended to get scouted by clubs from those countries due to proximity and at the time there was a restriction on overseas players so the pressure was often bought to bear from the clubs for the youngsters to naturalise....it happened to an even greater extent in Italy where at one point almost half of it's national team were actually born in Argentina but naturalised in order to join Serie A clubs and a similar thing with Brazilians in Portugal and so on.

The current climate is a bit different especially within the European Union as restraint of trade laws forbid leagues to limit foreign players born within the Union.The only limit on those born outside of the Union is that they must be an internationally capped player in their current age group(and even that can be waived in certain circumstances).

My views on which country you represent is that if there is technically a choice you should represent the nationality that you FEEL......and then stick to it.......not pick the one with which you think you have the best chance of being selected for or winning things with.Young Manchester United star Adnan Januzaj had openly expressed his strong pride in his Kosovar/Albanian roots but hey-ho they ain't going to a World Cup any time soon so it's 'pass the Moules-Frites I'll play for Belgium'.

Cavendish is an example of what I feel competing internationally is all about in that he visibly swells with pride when able to wear his Isle of Man colours in the Commonwealth Games as compared to him competing under the umbrella of Team GB in the Olympics and such.

There have been what I consider some scandalous attempts to hijack athletes into GB/England tracksuits........in fact it's a standing joke that there's a guy with a stopwatch at Heathrow Airport and if you can run from check in to passport control in under 10 seconds it's 'Welcome to Britain'!! And as for the England Cricket team......I now refer to it as 'Rest of The World'.

And anyway I guess the Aussies would have some claim to the nurture in Brad's case anyway due to Shane Sutton?

Totally Agree Ray.

Nothing against Le Tessier, loved him great player, tho he did marry that ugly Marilyn off Home and Away .lol.
We have this problem here atm with State of origin Rugby league , lot of arguments who eligible for who.
Like you said I can't understand why they would want a player whose heart isn't there. Here NSW whinge about Greg Inglis as born In Kempsey NSW. Now one of the best players in the game and Plays for QLD (which he is passionate about , anyone who grows up in QLD is...It's FAMILY, STATE, COUNTRY, GOD, in that order here. We Queenslander's before Australians).
Why would you someone to play for you like that I don't understand , their not going to be there 100% all the time.

0 likes

quote]

Totally agree here, it is indeed a very interesting.... I often think about it.
Certianly both can have a major influence on you.
Great to have nice Gene's, but hard to beat practice  1

Must be Mad | 9 years ago
0 likes

If Porte wants to be a GC team leader... he doesn't need to change team to do it, does he?

0 likes

Half Aussie born in Ghent.......Yet joint first in Britain's all time Olympic medallists!!

0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Half Aussie born in Ghent.......Yet joint first in Britain's all time Olympic medallists!!

HIS DAD IS AUSTRALIAN MATE  1

0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

HIS DAD IS AUSTRALIAN MATE  1 WAS A CYCLIST, we3re u think he gets the talent.

0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

HIS DAD IS AUSTRALIAN MATE  1 WAS A CYCLIST, we3re u think he gets the talent.

0 likes
0 likes

Tejay?

0 likes

Kwia?

Ghedebrav replied to ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Kwia?

Not if OPQS have an imperial ounce of sense. That one's a keeper.

Pages

Latest Comments