Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's the weirdest thing you've had to swerve to avoid?

Very nearly caused a toad to croak this morning and there seems to be a lot more debris on the roads too. So it got me thinking - what's the weirdest thing you've had to swerve to avoid?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

50 comments

matthewn5 | 3 years ago
1 like

A huge falling tree, years ago when I was riding in the Adelaide Hills in Oz, going downhill on the New Norton Summit Road where the Tour Down Under now sometimes passes. Came around a corner on my Raleigh Record 10 speed, and there was the tree falling down across the whole road and beyond, a massive thing, lots of big branches bouncing up and down, throwing up dust in the air. My friend and I were able to clamber over the huge trunks, and continue on our way. Bloody lucky I wasn't a bit faster or I wouldn't have been typing this now.

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

Wild boar 'piglets' when cycling in the forests on Corsica... I thought that they were piglets when I first saw them at a distance, but as I got closer I realised what they were.  I then cycled past very quickly because the mother wasn't too far behind.

Laura Laker | 3 years ago
1 like

This fella tried to butt me as it passed 

hawkinspeter replied to Laura Laker | 3 years ago
1 like

It had to use its horns as its bell doesn't work

andrewkilbey | 3 years ago
2 likes

Albino peacock in full mating mode

mdavidford replied to andrewkilbey | 3 years ago
1 like

andrewkilbey wrote:

Albino peacock in full mating mode

The _Kaner | 3 years ago
4 likes

I didn't have to swerve to avoid this...it wasn't exactly moooo'ving.

brooksby replied to The _Kaner | 3 years ago
1 like

Was there a race horse trainer sitting on it?

brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

A very startled rat.

half_wheel79 | 3 years ago
1 like

A couple going at it with extreme vigour on a large concrete plinth right next to the cycle path. This was around 9pm on a summers evening so still daylight and they even saw us from quite a way off and just carried on. Gave them a round of applause as we passed by.

BadgerBeaver | 3 years ago
2 likes

Ronan Keating

shutuplegz | 3 years ago
2 likes

Scariest: Badgers, at night, darting out or one time running along in front of me in the shadow between front wheel and light beam. All I could hear was claws on tarmac until I slowed a bit and saw the badger! I went past it but could still hear it running after me! Went into the red for a few moments to get away from it!

Spookiest: a large Barn owl, also at night, swooping silently in front of me.

Bestest: An actual otter in broad daylight.

Oddest: a perfect, undamaged and fairly sizeable Aubergine!

Canyon48 replied to shutuplegz | 3 years ago
0 likes

shutuplegz wrote:

Scariest: Badgers, at night, darting out or one time running along in front of me in the shadow between front wheel and light beam. All I could hear was claws on tarmac until I slowed a bit and saw the badger! I went past it but could still hear it running after me! Went into the red for a few moments to get away from it!

I've had the exact same! It is surprisingly scary, they also make quite horrible grunting noises when they are chasing!

jaymack | 3 years ago
1 like

20 odd years ago having just moved to the south downs a rabbit took me out on a twisty descent. The blighter had been hiding in the shade of the over hanging trees and leapt out when I was less than a yard away. Stupidly I yanked on the breaks and the inevitable tumble ensued. As I lay a crumpled wreck thinking how blue the sky had suddenly  become one of my then very new riding buddies shouted out in her best Elmer J Fudd voice "come here w'abbit...". Needless to say the offender wasn't seen again and my brand new 9 speed shimano 105 right hand shifter bore the scar of that encounter for many a long year. 

Eynsham | 3 years ago
3 likes

An Alligator. 

Emerging from a pond.  In Florida.

Madteclind | 3 years ago
1 like

A used condom...

brooksby replied to Madteclind | 3 years ago
1 like

<shudder...> 

bosskardo | 3 years ago
1 like

A cow in a pair time trial. I went one way and the other guy went in front of it's horns. Luckily was walking very slowly.

LastBoyScout | 3 years ago
3 likes

The legs of a copulating couple that were across the trail - emergency bunnyhop!

Summer evening on a path to a popular local nature reserve, admittedly the less popular side of the river.

Liam Cahill | 3 years ago
2 likes

A dildo. It was large. Big swerve.

pockstone | 3 years ago
4 likes

Nearly taken out by a badger that tumbled down a bank during the darkest depths of the Dunwich Dynamo. Swooped upon by a Red Kite outside Otley.

The most upsetting was when a stoat with a mouse in its mouth ran out of a wall on the back road to Bolton Abbey. I slowed and swerved to pass behind it, only for the stoat to do a quick U-turn right under my wheel. My karmic angst was only partly alleviated by seeing the mouse make a dash for life, and the security of the opposite wall.

dave atkinson replied to pockstone | 3 years ago
2 likes

i *was* taken out by a badger on a howies night ride from cardigan to abergavenny. solid things, badgers.

dave atkinson replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
1 like
pockstone replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
1 like

Hefty blighters, indeed. Despite their ferocity I don't think there was any malice. The Red Kite on the other hand definitely had it in for me.

Captain Badger replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
3 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

i *was* taken out by a badger on a howies night ride from cardigan to abergavenny. solid things, badgers.

Mwahahahahah!

The _Kaner replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
2 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

Taken out... for dinner and drinks, like?  1

Dicklexic | 3 years ago
1 like
pockstone replied to Dicklexic | 3 years ago
1 like

Winner!

kraut replied to Dicklexic | 3 years ago
0 likes

bonus points for the sound track!

HoarseMann replied to Dicklexic | 3 years ago
0 likes

I hope they called out 'droppin' in'