Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wahoo Element Bolt and MacBooks

I'm thinking of switching from Garmin Edge after the latest macOS software update no longer connects my device to my Macbook Pro, after trying everything under the sun to get it to recognise my Edge 520 Plus.

Are Wahoos any better with Macs? I've just updated my Mac software to macOS Monterey 12.4 and it's not having anything to do with my Garmin now!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
0 likes

My Garmin is connecting fine with Mac Catalina (10.15.7). Try syncing the Garmin to your phone directly, as I explained in the other thread.

mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

Yesterday on the other thread you said you'd fixed it by reinstalling Garmin Express:

https://road.cc/content/forum/garmin-gremlins-293335

And that it wouldn't connect to Windows either.

Just mentioning before you spend £300+ on a replacement head unit when the issue may lie elsewhere. Of course if you just want a new head unit, carry on...

HoarseMann replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ah, if it's an issue with Garmin Express, it's worth just checking in Settings>Security&Privacy, that the app has access enabled to removable drives...

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
0 likes

hmm, just checked on my mac and my Garmin Edge is showing up. Can you see it in finder like this:?

Shades | 1 year ago
0 likes

Wahoos link to your smartphone via the app (which also controls the Wahoo setup), in my case an iPhone, so it never goes near a laptop or PC.  You can link the app to various routing apps, incl Strava; I plan my rides in Komoot and sync the Wahoo (connected to WiFi) to my iPhone.  After the ride the Wahoo app automatically uploads to Strava (or whatever you choose).  You can re-plan routes mid-ride on your phone and just send them to the Wahoo (bluetooth); also means you're not stuck in a situation where there isn't WiFi to sync the Wahoo in the normal way.  I haven't experienced Garmins but when I was choosing a computer there was no end of complaining about Garmins and plenty of praise for Wahoos.

Latest Comments