Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Gremlins

I've got a Garmin Edge 520 Plus that I upload my rides to Strava with via a USB cable via my Macbook Pro.

(For some reason the Garmin Connect app on my phone won't sync with Strava so I've been uploading via USB cable without too much issue for the last two years).

Anyway, since Sunday, after a sodden 60 mile ride, my Macbook Pro won't connect my Garmin so I've not been able to upload any rides. It charges the Garmin with the USB but won't connect with it.

So far I've tried:

> New cable

> Updating Garmin Express software (and uninstalling and installing it again)

> Connecting it to my old Macbook

Still no joy and it's driving me mad. What's the best option now? Full factory reset of the Garmin? 

The device still works fine as it should but just won't connect with the Mac.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
0 likes

My Garmin 520 plus uploads rides to my phone using the Garmin Connect app. It's either automatic or I hit the 'sync' command and it uploads in a few seconds.

Garmin Connect is set up to sync with Strava automatically via the web. There's no need to plug it into a computer, except for upgrading the software/maps from time to time.

d_jp | 1 year ago
0 likes

My wife has an Edge 520 (not Plus) & she has just uploaded a ride to Strava via a Windows machine (uploading file directly)  Apologies that maybe doesn't help on a Mac, but based upon other posts just thought it may be helpful to let you know 

All the best in getting it sorted 

Lenny_2018 replied to d_jp | 1 year ago
0 likes

I tried to connect it to a Windows laptop last night (running Window 10) and it still wouldn't connect - although this morning I've found that when I uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express on the Mac it recognises the device and uploads new updates and maps etc. I haven't tried updating a ride yet as I've cleared them on all on the factory reset but will try this later. This may be a work-a-round for now but not ideal.

Cyclox22 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I have had the same problem with my Garmin 130 for the past couple of days. I think a update will be on coming.

Lenny_2018 replied to Cyclox22 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I've hand no joy since posting - I spoke to apple support and they think that the latest macOS software update just isn't compatible with the Edge 520. I've tried two cables, factory reset the device and even tried to connect it to my Dad's Windows laptop and it's still not being recognised. I'm thinking of swithcing to Wahoo to avid this apple / Garmin issue.

mark1a replied to Lenny_2018 | 1 year ago
0 likes

It didn't connect to a Windows OS though either, is there a device option to select mass storage mode for USB on the Edge itself? 

tigersnapper | 1 year ago
1 like

I use a 1030 and when I connect to a Macbook I have to hold the lap button in as I plug in and for about 20-30 secs until the storage device logo shows on the Garmin's screen.  I don't know if this will be the same on a 520 as I haven't got one - don't know what buttons are on it.

Latest Comments