Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre fitting problem - Condor Touring rims

My last 700c wheel build was around Condor Touring rims.  https://www.condorcycles.com/products/condor-touring-rim?_gl=1%2Awmti27%...40753356682

Photo coming up, but I've tried three different tyres, of different widths, and all sit wrong when mounted - about one-sixth of the tyre sits inwards by 2-3mm. The lumpy ride is really noticeable on smooth tarmac.  I've tried fatter tubes. I haven't yet tried different rim tape. 

The rim width is 19mm, so 28s should be OK on the Sheldon Brown table of wisdom.  

Interestingly, I had to get to get the ERD from Condor, and the spokes turned out to be on the long side.

I am beginning to wonder if the rim diameter is 2-3 mm off? Or can anyone else suggest what is wrong?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

David9694 | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

Seems to be sorted, thanks all.  

Three metallic clangs were heard as I got past 70 psi.

David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

The problem area is around 10 o'clock / top left on this inverted picture, pretty much next to the Condor decal.  As I say, it makes for a very lumpy ride. I've got some 700 x30 tyres lying around, but I'm not sure they'd clear the SKS mudguards. 

kevgravelkev replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

soapy water along the bead?

ChasP replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

As suggested some lubricant then overinflate until it seats.

David9694 replied to ChasP | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

Thanks. Do you think the 1/6th of the circumference area that is "in" is the problem, or the 5/6ths that are "out"? 

rookybiker replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

It's the shorter bit that hasn't climbed onto the shelf.

Latest Comments