Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replace Cassette with an 11-42

Hi everybody.

So, I'd like to replace my 11-28 cassette on my CX with a larger one. Can I go to 11-42? (bike has Ultegra back and front derailleur and Rotor 3DF, 36/46 crankset). I'd obviously have to replace the cage... Can I do it?......

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have an RX 800 running 11-40 with no issues.

I do use a wolftooth derailleur hanger but I had it working ok without it (The 40t was a bit hit and miss).

Road.cc did an article on this, was quite good.

https://road.cc/content/feature/how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-ad...

travelsprint replied to Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the link...

I was also planning to replace the 36 with a 34 in the Rotor 36/46 crankset. That would be ok, right?

Spangly Shiny replied to travelsprint | 3 years ago
0 likes

Only if your BCD is 110mm. 

Rich_cb replied to travelsprint | 3 years ago
0 likes

AFAIK most front derailleurs can handle a 16t difference between big and little ring so that shouldn't be a problem in isolation.

If you change your chainrings and your rear cassette your rear derailleur capacity may be affected.

I'm running mine 1x so not sure how big a cassette you could go to whilst simultaneously increasing the difference between your chainrings.

ChasP replied to travelsprint | 3 years ago
0 likes

Exceeding the capacity of your rear mech isn't the end of the world (unless you're 1x). Provided your chain is long enough for big/big you just need to avoid small/small where it might go slack.

travelsprint replied to ChasP | 3 years ago
0 likes

BCD is 110 (Giant TCX). I'll have to change deraileur cage, that's expected. So basically 46-34 with 11-42 (or 12-42 if necessary) should do it?

Achtervolger | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've read that the above part can extend your cassette range, without needing to replace your existing derailleur. I'm not sure if it would enable 28t up to 42t though. Perhaps other contributers can clarify.

Latest Comments