Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

An idiot's guide to Campag Chorus brakes

Folks,
Sorry to ask such a Noddy question but how does one adjust Campagnolo Chorus brakes so that the pads move closer to the rims as the pads wear over time? The previous brakes (Potenza) were similar to Shimano so it was nice and easy with a small lock ring to undo and a cable terminator that could be wound out before locking back in place after adjustment. However, the Chorus brakes seem to just have a rubber ring adjustor that turns about 180 degrees to move the cable terminator, but offers a very small amount of pad travel before I'm having to reach for an allen key to change the cable lock position. Seems to be a PITA so I must be missing something bleeding obvious?
Many thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

bobbinogs | 1 year ago
1 like

Photo attached...

IanMSpencer replied to bobbinogs | 1 year ago
1 like

Yep, that's the adjuster. Fit the brakes to ideal position when new, and then use the rubber grip to turn the adjuster clockwise looking down and the cable will be extended.

Welsh boy | 1 year ago
1 like

On the Campag brake callipers I had the rubber ring adjuster had an ident which it dropped into every 180 degrees. This stopped the adjuster vibrating loose so every half turn you will feel a little resistance but if you keep turning it you may find that there is more adjustment than you realise 

Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm sure it all works very similarly... you might find that you need to turn the rubber thingy the other way to the shimano brakes... basically the rubber thing is threaded, as is the barrel, so by 'tightening' the rubber thing, you'll push the barrel up and tighten the brakes. 

A lot of campag stuff is backward to shimano, thinking about it. 

bobbinogs replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
0 likes

Jimmy Ray and Welsh Boy have cracked this, in that it works in the reverse of what I was expecting...so that I couldn't unwind as I was at the limit of adjustment.  Hence, turning the opposite way, in 180 degree increments, works as required.  I just needed to reset the 'new pad' length on the brake cable/allen bolt and then work up from there.  Many thanks everyone.

Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
0 likes

Might be worth a photo so we can see which Chorus they are, and so we know 'what you mean when you say...' .

I've Choruses, which lack the quick release cam than most rim brakes have, and they also have the rubber ring around the barrel adjuster (which seems less sensible than the usual knurled barrel adjuster). So it's an allen key for me too, although it doesn't feel much of a hardship. But maybe we can both learn something here!

IanMSpencer replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
1 like

The lack of quick release cam is because the quick release is on the shifter. There is a button thing to play with.

bobbinogs replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yepp, pull the brake lever and you should see a small metal button that controls how much the lever can travel when you release it.  Press the button on the side that opens then brakes up...and then reverse the button press to close the callipers

Dnnnnnn replied to bobbinogs | 1 year ago
0 likes

bobbinogs wrote:

Yepp, pull the brake lever and you should see a small metal button that controls how much the lever can travel when you release it.  Press the button on the side that opens then brakes up...and then reverse the button press to close the callipers

I'd be interested in a photo of that too!
I've never seen it (and still don't) - although it may be because my levers are ancient (about 20 years old, probably among the first 10-speeders). The brakes are much more recent so may not have been designed to match.

IanMSpencer replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
2 likes

See the metal rod thing just above the C in Chorus. Push one way it releases the lever, push the other way it is a stop - it isn't the hinge..

Dnnnnnn replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks! I'll have a play about with that later. I'd always thought it was just the stop (half right...)

TheBillder replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
0 likes

On some (I lose track as Campag recycle product names) the bit with the rubber ring is a lock nut. You unscrew the adjuster to get the pad adjustment and then screw the locknut the other way, down onto the caliper, fairly firmly. This holds everything in place. If you don't do that, you'll lose the adjustment gradually.

It's a bit old tech I suppose but perfectly valid engineering and in line with Campag being different because a) they are mechanical geniuses or b) the are the effing Citroen / Apple of bike parts.

Latest Comments