Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heavy rider looking at bike options

Hi All,

New to this forum and apologies for asking a similar questions no doubt to others!

TL:DR

I'm fat, would a gravel bike make a significant difference over my 13kg Hardtail MTB

I weigh 20 1/2 stone and have been riding a Specialized Rockhopper from new since 2008, I had a new heavier duty rear wheel replaced shortly after that was heavy duty and apart from usual wear and tear all has been well. Fast froward to the present and I find myself riding with a few road/gravel riders. Now although I cannot remotely be classed as fit I am able to to complete 25 mile rides with no real issues, however I am slowing my riding mates down on the flats and the inclines. 

Would buying a decent gravel bike £1,500 - £2,300 make much of a difference over my MTB?

There would be around a 3kg saving, I already run Road clruiser plus tyres as I dont go off road anymore.

Frame wise my weight isnt an issue, forks and wheelsets could well be. Any others on here tipping the scales and had any issues?

Spending that amount of money on a bike, then having to replace the rear wheel (mayybe even both) just seems like a hell of a cost. could I get a cheaper 2nd hand bikes and get heavier duty wheels made for that?

Thanks in advance

DK

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Donkeykong | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback,

Yes kil0ran, I am on 26" wheels. You are right with the current supply issues, I cant even find a bike to test round a car park!, Getting quoted Jan - Mar '22 for Specialized Diverge Elite and Giant Revolt 0. Havent looked at the Kinesis bikes, will have a good read up. May well be an older 2nd hand bike with spare cash to upgrade it is the right thing to do (once I know I like the riding position), The guy who built my rear wheel before quoted me £235 for the rear wheel, but less for the front should I choose to change.

Thanks Again.

DK

kil0ran replied to Donkeykong | 2 years ago
0 likes

That's a decent price for a hand built rear wheel in the current supply situation. 

Kinesis G2 review here - https://road.cc/content/review/260269-kinesis-g2

Genesis Vagabond might be another good option

If you want something new and UK-built (I'm assuming you're in the UK) then have a look at Temple Cycles - only a 6-8 week build time on their bikes. This is probably the sweet spot in their range https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-disc-2

I've moved the other way from road to MTB but if I hadn't I'd be on one of these three bikes, or my old Fairlight Faran.

Donkeykong replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
2 likes

Thanks for those links, will have a read up on temple bikes, they are less than 2hrs from me. There is also a Kinesis dealer in Plymouth which isnt too far to travel either.

Yeah not sure he builds wheels to make lots of money, think he is semi retired (he has all the qualifications etc), when I asked about a wheel for the diverge he quoted me this:

A 32 spoke rear wheel built using a Ryde Andra 321 rim, Hope Pro4 hub, black Sapim Strong spokes and brass nipples will be £235 inc delivery.

Cheers

DK

kil0ran replied to Donkeykong | 2 years ago
0 likes

Good price. The Andra rims have a reputation for durability, and Pro4 hubs are very serviceable with good parts availability and convertible axle/end cap options. 

In case you're not aware, the Pro4 hubs come in 6 colour options, meaning you can indulge in matchy-matchy  1

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like
the infamous grouse replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

they look agreeable for the money, pair them with ritchey strongholds and thats the double duty need met.

kil0ran | 2 years ago
1 like

At my heaviest I was 130kg and had no issue with forks and wheelsets, and that included riding on unmade roads/gravel paths. In thousands of miles I broke one spoke and had one wheel go completely out of tension, but that was straight out the box and a poorly tensioned machine-built cheap Raleigh special from Halfords. I've ridden stock aluminium wheels, entry level Shimano wheels, heavy duty dynamo gravel wheels, and lightweight XC MTB wheels (FSA Afterburners). Forks either carbon with aluminium inserts, full carbon, steel, or aluminium. Never had an issue. 

The main gain you'll get over MTB will be in position and pedalling efficiency, rather than frame weight. It will take some getting used to but you will be faster over longer distances and you'll feel fresher after the ride too. As a heavy rider on a relatively heavy bike on relatively heavy tyres, the switch to a gravel bike will feel like you're riding a eBike for a while. I'm guessing you're also riding 26" or 27.5" wheels currently? The switch to 29er/700C on skinnier tyres will enable you to maintain speed for longer once you've spun them up. 

I think most stock wheelsets will be rated for either 100kg or 120kg but that's often an arbitrary figure picked by lawyers/insurers rather than based on real-world results. You could always go with a downhill/enduro/eMTB wheelset - a bit of extra weight yes, but more than strong enough for road use. Something like Hope Fortus 30 for example, with the internal bracing. Fulcrum have a good range of eBike wheels too (E-Metal) which will do the job.

Given how bike supply currently is though your best bet - if you know what you're looking for - is to buy secondhand. Just remember road geo and riding position is completely different to the more dynamic fit you have on an MTB, so it's not a question of looking at the reach and saddle height/angle of your existing bike and just transferring it over. 

the infamous grouse | 2 years ago
1 like

i'm only 18st so your experience may differ. the main benefit you'll get from a gravel bike will be the rigid fork which weighs less, and the riding position which is naturally a bit more aggressive

have a look at the kinesis g2 as an example. more spokes in the wheels makes a huge difference to bike feel (and strength) as bike load increases, i think it comes with 32 spoke wheels as standard. or you could get a frameset and build it up as needed.

if you don't mind the wonky appearance, asym rims are great. they can support a high spoke tension. i use them on a 29+.

kil0ran replied to the infamous grouse | 2 years ago
0 likes

My Afterburner rear is asymmetric although that's more to do with handling braking force than durability. Can't say I've ever thought they look odd other than when first chucking them in the frame.

Latest Comments