Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc rotor area swept by brake pad: does alignment matter?

Having just replaced my rotors and put new pads in, I've noticed that the swept area of the rotor is not as good as it could be.

On the internet there are lots of articles for adjusting the caliper side-to-side aligment to prevent brake rub, but I can't find anything for adjusting the area swept by the pads.

Inspecting the old rotors, the front had no lip on the outside of the rotor, but the rear did have a small lip. A quick survey of other bikes in my garage shows that they vary, some do have an external lip, some don't.

I am tempted to add a couple of shims between the post mount and the caliper to increase the contact area of the pad on the rotor, but I read online that adding shims to brakes that don't have them originally is not advised.

So, although it looks imperfect, as it hasn't caused me any trouble in the past I think I shall just leave it as is, but I wondered if anyone else shims their calipers for swept area adjustment?

(photos below)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Cugel | 9 months ago
1 like

One of the disc braked bikes I have has the older non-series Shimano road bike calipers that take a brake pad rather longer than the more recent callipers of 105 and Ultegra. These pads develop the syndrome you describe - a lip of unworn pad forms on one corner, over time, where the pad projects slightly outside the track of the disk as it rotates.

As long as you don't change wheels to a set with discs that are slightly larger in circumference (even by just a teeny bit) the pad-lip doesn't usually seem to affect braking. As another mentions, such a lip is an easy way to judge pad wear.

I did, though, notice an additional squeal and shudder after braking for a long time down very long steep hills, typically in winter when one is more wary of hooning down the long and bendy steep back roads, as they are muddy, wet and otherwise inclined to slide a fellow into the dry stone wall if he hoons and leans mightily.

Presumably the discs heat up with a lot more or continuous braking, so expanding their circumference by a teeny amount, causing the unworn section of pad lip to be hit by the disc outside edge .... ?

HoarseMann replied to Cugel | 9 months ago
0 likes

Yes, I expect a lip on the pad is worse than on the rotor. As well as the shuddering, if they protruded enough, they could touch and reduce braking performance.

I think all things considered, I'm better off having a lip on the rotor and the alignment is probably not too much of an issue. The post mounts are square and look to have been 'faced' for a tight fit with the caliper mount, so sticking a washer in there is probably not a great idea as it could cause the caliper to be off centre or could damage the face of the post mount.

Cugel replied to HoarseMann | 9 months ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Yes, I expect a lip on the pad is worse than on the rotor. As well as the shuddering, if they protruded enough, they could touch and reduce braking performance.

I think all things considered, I'm better off having a lip on the rotor and the alignment is probably not too much of an issue. The post mounts are square and look to have been 'faced' for a tight fit with the caliper mount, so sticking a washer in there is probably not a great idea as it could cause the caliper to be off centre or could damage the face of the post mount.

Another solution might be to try brake pads that fit but are not quite so long. However, I don't really understand exactly how the pads are kept in place within the callipers, so even if shorter (lengthwise) pads fit the retaining pin and have the same "drop" there might be some other other fit-issue that means it's not a good idea.

the infamous grouse | 9 months ago
1 like

in theory there could be uneven wear with the rotor arms brushing the inner radius of the pad, however i've had tihs on a few bikes when i've gone to 203mm rotors and it's never really been an issue. a lip will eventually form on the rotor due to wear, but this would happen anyway.

you could stick 1mm flat washers between the mount and caliper if it's bothering you, however best now to wait until you change discs and pads again or you'll have the uneven wear issue.

HoarseMann replied to the infamous grouse | 9 months ago
0 likes

I've only just put the new rotors and pads on (not even been on a ride yet) the marks are just from a few uses testing them out, so I could try a shim.

I don't think there will be uneven wear of the pads, this didn't seem to happen with the old rotors, where the arms were contacting the pads even more than they do with the new rotors.

It's not going to be possible to get them perfectly aligned and I suspect it's better to have a lip on the rotor than on the pad. So the only downside is marginally less braking power and a bit more wear on the rotor arms.

wycombewheeler | 9 months ago
2 likes

I don't do this, I suspect it makes very little difference, although you might increase your pad contact area by 5-8% which could improve braking (and pad life).

On the plus side, the misalignment provides a visual indication of how much rotor was worn away.

HoarseMann | 9 months ago
0 likes

pics...

NOtotheEU replied to HoarseMann | 9 months ago
0 likes

Personally I would add washers with that much misalignment but I don't believe it will cause you any issues because the rotor arms will remove any lip on the pad. 

I've got 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom of my Avid BB5 front caliper because the caliper hit the outside of the rotor and 1 at the bottom of my TRP Spyke front caliper to avoid exactly what you have with yours. The BB5 sits a little high now but the curve at the top of the disk slot hits the edge of the disk when perfectly centered with even 1 less washer.

I've had no problems and I'm 17 stone and run 203mm rotors but they aren't post mount so I've no idea if this makes a difference. If you do use washers perhaps make sure the washers are at least the same diameter if not a little bigger than the post and caliper mounting points so you'll damage the washer and not the important expensive bits. Also using 2 instead of 1 will keep the flat faces perfectly aligned.

NOtotheEU replied to NOtotheEU | 9 months ago
0 likes

Spyke

HoarseMann replied to NOtotheEU | 9 months ago
0 likes

Thanks, I might be tempted to try the washers, at least on the rear as the problem is worse there.

Latest Comments