Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

who's going premium then?

Reading through the new info, it's not entirely clear if you can win the bike if you don't go premium?

"Podium prizes can only be won by premium users."

So, presumably, if you don't go premium, and you play the Giro competition, even if you were to come first in the points overall, you wouldn't win the bike?

Or have I read that wrong?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

robert_obrien | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think we're all gradually realising that nothing we thought was 'free' is free. Google, Facebook and the rest gathered our details so they could offer us stuff they think we want and it's now overwhelming. If the strategy was made clear from the outset maybe people would be more discerning - 'by signing up to this free service your inbox will imminently be flooded with irrelevant sh*t'.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeh I have to do some of the maths by hand, as I dont have the software clever enough to do the copy and paste job and work it out. Its not just that it would be the inputting of the correct mountain points, sprint points for the stage. Its easier for me to just read the results for a rider and input the score myself. Also even if I worked out a way of doing it, setting up the formulas to put the correct data in the correct places would be just as big a nightmare.
For the number of teams that are in it, doing it how I do it is probably the most straight forward way.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Haven't had a chance to get online proper to sign up  2 been relying on the mobile site. It's on my to do list. Looking forward to seeing the new layout.

frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes

So, this is probably the silliest question ever, as I will never win anything in the game, but let's imagine for a moment that this blind squirrel finds a big nut and manages to win one of the races.

Would you pay the shipping of sending a bike to America?  1 I'm just curious.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree. Premium players should be able to select a 2nd purist team to run in conjunction.

dave atkinson replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

I agree. Premium players should be able to select a 2nd purist team to run in conjunction.

the main problem with this is that there's already a bunch of people running a second purist team (on a separate login), so there's a problem with amalgamating data. we're looking at solutions to that problem though.

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have just signed up. £7 for a year, when I've had two years for free so far seems fair enough. If we want this to improve every year as it has thus far, it's inevitable that some £ is needed.

Dave - one initial gripe - Where's the Forum button within the Fantasy Cycling Microsite gone!?

ooh I like the idea of having purist team as well as a non-purist team. Or is that just being greedy?

dave atkinson replied to Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes
Rvizzle wrote:

Dave - one initial gripe - Where's the Forum button within the Fantasy Cycling Microsite gone!?

just got to do a bit of fiddling with the grid to make room to get it back in. fear not, it will reappear

Rvizzle replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
Rvizzle wrote:

just got to do a bit of fiddling with the grid to make room to get it back in. fear not, it will reappear

Skills. I presumed it hadn't been overlooked. Cheers Dave

letsgoup | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have just signed up. Struggling to find the time for the current stages but hey ho its only £7 which is great value. For extra stages I might just try picking random teams with no thought. Might work out better than the planning and form studying I do at the moment. Which doesn't work....

I have a couple of questions too  7  37 :

1)Will we be able to see who is a premium or standard subscriber in the league tables? Just an idea...

2)I have asked this before I know. Having signed up for premium can we play a normal and a purist team side by side for each race under one account. I know people create another account for this (which has been accepted by road c.c. but actually against the official rules) Can it be added at a later stage?

I think what has already been done is great and the inclusion of the above two points would create perfection for me personally. As said before good value for £7/10 but its always good to have a wish list in life.  1  1  1

dave atkinson replied to letsgoup | 11 years ago
0 likes
letsgoup wrote:

1)Will we be able to see who is a premium or standard subscriber in the league tables? Just an idea...

yes. there'll be a separate premium league in the free tours. plus on player profiles there'll be some other premium functionality coming soon  1

letsgoup replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

See below. Messed up comment.

letsgoup replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

yes. there'll be a separate premium league in the free tours. plus on player profiles there'll be some other premium functionality coming soon  1

I knew it would all be in hand, as always. I'm getting excited about the new additions already.  4 I do like my stats stuff displayed.  26

fluffchucker replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
letsgoup wrote:

Dave - how many have signed up for this great game so far
£10-£7 really just doesn't seem enough to me  3

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just feel that £7 is more than fair for a year's worth of play(even without the extra features) so yes.......Premium for me.

alronald | 11 years ago
0 likes

Given the fun I get out of (even though I'm pretty crap at it) £7 seems pretty reasonable. After all things can only get better for the Westhill Wheelers

0 likes

Basically Alan, I input the scores for each rider, then my spreadsheet calculates the total for youe team (to be fair I'm good at doing this stuff, so I don't make many mistakes) but that's why I ask what u expect and then I either agree or disgaree, but I can explain how I've scored it (sometimes I miss the odd point as someone is 5th in the points etc).

Well I will do bayern if people want, but can defo do tour of luxembourg as in the week between giro and dauphine.

That update will make a difference dave, cheers, think if we do any others we will set a standard value for any teams not on the database

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Basically Alan, I input the scores for each rider, then my spreadsheet calculates the total for youe team (to be fair I'm good at doing this stuff, so I don't make many mistakes) but that's why I ask what u expect and then I either agree or disgaree, but I can explain how I've scored it (sometimes I miss the odd point as someone is 5th in the points etc).

Well I will do bayern if people want, but can defo do tour of luxembourg as in the week between giro and dauphine.

That update will make a difference dave, cheers, think if we do any others we will set a standard value for any teams not on the database

So you don't have a system where you can copy and paste top 20 for the day, top 10 GC etc and then it calculates the rider scores for you. You have to do that by hand and then use 'if' formulas I suppose to calculate the different team scores. Must be quite time consuming. I wonder if it can be automated further to make it easier to do. But with the premium game I'm probably going to get satiated, I think, although purist is different and not so time-consuming.

I could help if you're busy sometimes as I used to teach IT and can do a little java programming.

coffee_queen | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thinking I might have to go for this, mostly to build on my love for the Tour of California. Probably gonna leave it 'til the lats minute though seeing as I don't get paid for another week, but, unless I forget, I should still have enough time

0 likes

I started playing the cycling fever games earlier in the year, but seem to take alot more effort and are nowhere near as fun, so i stopped.

You mean like I could do Bayern-Rundfarht (still clashes with the giro), tour of luxembourg should defo be a goer before the dauphine (sky only team on the list at the moment), vattenfall classics, etc? the odd one. The prob with most the others is only a minority are the top teams. However is Dave is updating the rider database due to the extra races (will this be the case Dave?) It may be possible to run some of the non-world tour races. And could say set a value for all riders in any teams not on the database at say 3.5 credits.

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

I started playing the cycling fever games earlier in the year, but seem to take alot more effort and are nowhere near as fun, so i stopped.

You mean like I could do Bayern-Rundfarht (still clashes with the giro), tour of luxembourg should defo be a goer before the dauphine (sky only team on the list at the moment), vattenfall classics, etc? the odd one. The prob with most the others is only a minority are the top teams. However is Dave is updating the rider database due to the extra races (will this be the case Dave?) It may be possible to run some of the non-world tour races. And could say set a value for all riders in any teams not on the database at say 3.5 credits.

Not tried the Cycling fever game as I wasn't signed up to them before (usually use cyclingarchives). Did the Halfords game last year and won stage 14, which got me a Garmin shirt and a decent water bottle (still in use). Will play it again if it's on.

Yes, rider values are the problem, (haven't forgotten De La Fuente) but I'm sure we can find a way to deal with it. Been watching a little of the Tour of Turkey as there are a few people there might be useful in the Giro. But most of them are pretty obscure.

How do you do the scoring? Do you have a spreadsheet that works out things automatically? I can never seem to get my own score right, I always underestimate, which makes it a nice surprise when I get the real score, (today I didn't know Slagter was Rabo - oops).

dave atkinson replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

However is Dave is updating the rider database due to the extra races (will this be the case Dave?) It may be possible to run some of the non-world tour races.

well, there'll be the extra teams from the tour of california, ToB, etc. yes. but not all teams ever.

0 likes

I've just read on Twitter that Johan Bruynel plays fantasy cycling. anyone know the name of his team?

Gkam84 replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

I've just read on Twitter that Johan Bruynel plays fantasy cycling. anyone know the name of his team?

RadioShack Nissan Trek  19  19  19  19  19

Raleigh replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
londonplayer wrote:

Can premium users get a like button?

I'm going over [to premium] now.

drheaton replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
londonplayer wrote:

Can premium users get a like button?

I'm going over [to premium] now.

Don't "like" it, it'll just encourage him...

0 likes

Ive set up a new email address so I will be able to be contacted easier, and I wont miss things like yesterday!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bah, guess that makes me a muppet too!

Gkam84 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Bah, guess that makes me a muppet too!

I kindly refused my pair  4

0 likes

That cut off point should be from Stage 1 of the Giro (or whichever Tour), same deadline as choosing riders then?

Pages

Latest Comments