Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Transfers

I have 6 riders from the last event that are not riding Tour of Flanders. I only have 4 transfers.

How can I get a full team... should be allowed to swap non-riders without using transfers.

How about it !!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

The way I see it there's two options, unlink the classics and give unlimited transfers between each one, or staple a notice to every players hand explaining the rules to them and making sure they know how the classics work.

Personally, I favour option 2  1

I like how it works right now but with so many complaints/issues I guess there's room for improvement next year.

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

The lack of a reset button makes you think before committing

I like that, and like it that once you make a decision you must stick with it, and then suffer any consequences or reward. For me things become to easy else. so im against a reset button.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Like TER says, it will make it an easy way out, instead of having to plan a few days of transfers to get your team on an even keel again.

People come and go in ever game, for every few that say they are done, one might leave, but then again another few my stubble across the game and stay.

I think if the game gets to easy, more people will decide not to play and not bother with time and effort of picking a team and working out transfers. If you have a reset, its just an easy way out.

I'm with option 2 myself, i have my staple gun and post it notepad ready  3

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

unless you're prepared to check just before the start, then a reset button or a long list of startlist changes is going to make no difference at all. and if you are prepared to check just before the start, why not just do your transfers then?

rcorbin | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its no different in fantasy football, if some one pulls out before kick off, you don't get a transfer because they got injured.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

My record is doing my t/f's with 2mins to spare. It's all part of the game. Anticipating who will or will not be riding. Do you really think a bookie will change your betting slip details for the same wager?

It will be even more challenging come the tours for many of us who have no access to a computer at work to do our t/f's 20mins before the deadline. Last year I would do my t/f before going to bed and the following day discover during the stage I had greyed out riders.

There is also no guarantee that using the reset button will bring you extra points. Amstel was proof of that. Most people had really strong teams and we all crashed and burned big time.

BTW Dave, what was the high score for Amstel. And to give us all a giggle, what was the low score due to 'penalty' points - no need for names  4

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Right guys, remember, 4 transfers, yep that's right, 4!!! And three days research. You got plenty of time. If you have greyed out ds wouldn't worry too much if they're low value. Use your four for the big hitters  4 No need for the reset button either as it's NOT unlimited. That's right, you heard me correctly. No unlimited t/f's for L-B-L  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

6 transfers for me  19

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

[The Reset Button]... will make it an easy way out, instead of having to plan a few days of transfers to get your team on an even keel again...

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

The lack of a reset button makes you think before committing... I like that... once you make a decision you must stick with it, and then suffer any consequences or reward... so im against a reset button.

I see your point. I have nothing against planning, actually. I have something against last minute withdrawals and having to wait till the last minute to enter your team. I guess the Reset Button makes sense to me mostly because of withdrawals. When you put together a team and want to save it, I think you should be able to. It just gives me peace of mind that I don't have to wait to the last minute to enter a team because I have to worry about withdrawals. I guess there's two different crowds here, one that loves the game with all its restrictions and another that just wantes to be able to not worry about last minute withdrawals. I don't know how it works in professional but maybe, like them, we could list reserves... I don't know... I know I like the game enough to not quit it... It's extremely entertaining either way... I just wish there was a contingency for withdrawals... I'll ask Dave again... Dave, would you consider creating a thread where you post the changes you make to the game start list?

Soemthing like:

Tues Apr 17 2011

IN
Oscar Freire
Rigoberto Uran

OUT
Samuel Sanchez
Peter Sagan

I think it would be fair and shouldn't be that much trouble since you have to enter the information into the system anyways! I think that would go a long way towards easing this a little...

Sometimes if people don't mention things in the forum I never find out... I was one that, until it was mentioned in the forum, thought Sanchez was riding because he was on the game start list...

STEVESPRO 79 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

unless you're prepared to check just before the start, then a reset button or a long list of startlist changes is going to make no difference at all. and if you are prepared to check just before the start, why not just do your transfers then?

Dave you took the words right out of my mouth.....If all the whingers can find the time to hit a "reset" button just before race start,then why can`t they wait until then to pick their team....
The game is ACE.....Greyed out riders are part of the conundrum when selecting for the classics......Its the same conundrum for everyone and so it is a level playing field......A reset button would just make it easier for people who do not put in the effort researching on cycling websites......
Lets try and not forget that this is a free game,thats run by an open and honest crew that do their best to satisfy most people for most of the time,knowing full well that its impossible to satisfy everybody all of the time..... LETS JUST ENJOY IT....  1

enrique replied to giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Are you a journalist  3 You seem to like quoting people, the[n] editing their quotes  26

Yeah... I do like that... Can you tell?...  3

giff77 wrote:

My record is doing my t/f's with 2mins to spare. It's all part of the game. Anticipating who will or will not be riding. Do you really think a bookie will change your betting slip details for the same wager?

Good point...

giff77 wrote:

... BTW Dave, what was the high score for Amstel.....

I rhink you can find it here:

http://fantasy.road.cc/leagues?action=stage&lid=0&rgid=0&sid=31&showpage=0

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

The game is ACE.....Greyed out riders are part of the conundrum when selecting for the classics... Its the same... for everyone... so it['s] a level playing field......

Ok, it's a fair playing field... I'm not saying it isn't...

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

... Lets try and not forget that this is a free game, thats run by an open and honest crew...

Look, I love the game, it's fantastic, don't get me wrong, I'm hooked and I love it... It's way more challenging than any other game I've played...

dave_atkinson wrote:

I see your point, but what I like the most about what I'm proposing is that I could rest easy knowing I can make changes whenever I wanted to if I want to... It's just a convenience... I still think that:

enrique wrote:

...I bet a lot more people will say 'Thank you!'... than 'I hate the Reset button!

I think it just gives you the chance to put together the best team you can think of and also adapt if the circumstances change!... I may be wrong, but... I like the idea!... What can I say?...

Gkam84 replied to enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

[The Reset Button]... will make it an easy way out, instead of having to plan a few days of transfers to get your team on an even keel again...

Are you a journalist  3 You seem to like quoting people, they editing their quotes  26

enrique wrote:

I see your point. I have nothing against planning, actually. I have something against last minute withdrawals and having to wait till the last minute to enter your team. I guess the Reset Button makes sense to me mostly because of withdrawals.

So where is the difference?

Waiting till the last minute to put your team in or make changes, against picking your team and then at the last minute hitting reset because some of the riders have withdrawn.  39

0 likes

the reset button keeps cropping up. tbh we're not really against it but like has been said here it's only really an issue in the classics; in tours where there's a stage every day the startlist doesn't change appreciably

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

the reset button keeps cropping up. tbh we're not really against it... in tours where there's a stage every day the startlist doesn't change appreciably

I don't see a big deal against implementing it!  1 If you like waiting till the last minute to pick your team, you wait until the last minute and don't use the 'Reset' button! It would be your choice! But, even in a Grand Tour, someone gets sick during the day and you already made your picks? Why not offer the 'Reset' button? Sure! people may not use it much, but it takes an aggravation out of the game and more people may stick around and play longer rather than give up on their team as some are claiming in the Fleche thread they will do because they're frustrated... I see no pain in instituting it for the Classics, for the Tours, or for any of the stage races! Try it! You''ll like it. I bet a lot more people will say 'Thank you!' rather than 'I hate the Reset button! I'm quitting the game because of the Reset Button! It's ruined my life'!  1

By the way, I'll take option 1  1

drheaton wrote:

The way I see it there's two options, unlink the classics and give unlimited transfers between each one, or staple a notice to every players hand...

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Totally agree gkam. I just wish some folk would mtfu. I learnt the hard way at the begining of the season. I now make time to figure stuff out. My shift pattern means I have to confirm the day before. Todays result - have just lost two riders with the hour countdown in single digits. That's the way it goes. People don't need to get rid of all the grey riders. Bite the bullet use the t/f's needed on guaranteed points and only use penalty points if you are confident of getting a high score

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've just realised, at some point in the last few months I seem to have been completely flipped on the reset button, last year I suggested it, this year I seem to be against it...

I see the sense in it but its only ever a real issue during the classics, like I've said before, once the Giro gets going noone will care and I doubt it'll come up again until the year end 'make suggestions' thread.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

The "reset" and other factors were discussed last year and will likely come up again and again. It's not needed at all if you look ahead

So for picking your Amstel team, look at the FW and LBL in advance to get a rough idea of who might and might not be riding, it only takes minutes

Just to reiterate what i KEEP saying, Don't water the game down and make it to easy. So that includes NO reset button

0 likes

Its called luck of the draw

And drheaton basically has said everything I would

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

The pro teams confirm their riders at the last minute, what's new about that? Start lists change, what's new about that?

I'm not trying to piss you off and I'm not being flipant, there's no way to know who's riding until the last minute, your best chance is to wait to the last minute but even then you can't be sure. Its the same for everyone though and 99% of players seem to manage just fine. Surely fair is the same rules applying to everyone and everyone getting the same chances.

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

Meersmann was supposed to be riding but I understand has now withdrawn?

Yup, that makes it a fair game doesn't it? Someone who is listed to be riding then pulls out.

To be honest, I don't give a damn about the Spring Classics. I only play the Fantasy game for the Grand Tours. But not being able to substitute a rider who pulls out seems very harsh.

enrique replied to londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

Meersmann was supposed to be riding but I understand [he has] has now withdrawn?... [T]hat makes it a fair game doesn't it? Someone who is listed to be riding then pulls out.... To be honest... not being able to substitute a rider who pulls out seems... harsh.

I agree...

Rvizzle wrote:

Ah crap, I just moved Sanchez in earlier today!... d'oh!

My opinion is that a relatively easy solution would be to keep the 'Reset Transfers' button active unti the race deadline rolls around... That's all I'm saying... That way, you can put in a team early, and if you decide to play like that, great! If you decide you want to make a last minute change, why not?... You would just lose all the transfers you've made up to that point and be able to make the transfers you actually want. You wouldn't be getting more than 4 transfers if you get reset to the last team you played.

I just don't like to be a slave to last minute changes... I think it's fair to have that 'Reset'button available, and it's in everyone's best interest to have that flexibility... What's wrong with that?... I just think it's fair to be able to choose the best team you can based on the latest information available without falling vivtim to the fact that you can't reset your team when new informationbecomes available.

Then, you can fix things like what happened to the doctor...

drheaton wrote:

... I made my changes on Monday, I didn't know if I'd have time to submit a team tonight... so got a team in... rather than missing the deadline. It was a chance I took...

And if everyone agrees, it's just a little rule change that frees you up from the shackles of having to wait to see if there's last minute starting roster changes...

I think it's a change which benefits everyone! That way you can store a team on the system, but if you change your mind, it's no big deal, you just go back to your last valid team and make the transfers you want to make with the most current information available!  1

I mean. how easy would it be to fix the situations below, if the 'Reset Transfers'button was available until the race started?

paulbburgoine wrote:

... ... stupidly left Sagan in... anyone know how to change without penaltys

Doaky wrote:

Drafted in Sanchez and de Gendt today... to find out they are out!... Im putting the spring classics to bed!...

It's not an unfair advantage if everyone gets to use it.  1 And you can rest assured the competition will be fiercer! Because people will be able to have the best team they can with the latest information possible! C'mon, Dave, think about it!  1

enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes
ALLEZROUBAIX30 wrote:

Took a huge gamble picking my team yesterday just logged on and that decision has backfired badly...

7 greyed ot riders think that my penalty points will be much higher than my score this stage  14 Pig sick doesn't even come close!!

Dave, the situation above is, in my opinion, a good enough reason to have the 'Reset Transfers' Button available at ANY point before the start of a race! It would make it aesier to fix our mistakes if the button were available even after we made the actual transfers... Please consider it...

That, for me, would be the best of both worlds... I guess it would require the system to store your last actual team, but, I still think that what should matter is the actual number of transfers from the last time your team competed...

drheaton replied to enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
ALLEZROUBAIX30 wrote:

Took a huge gamble picking my team yesterday just logged on and that decision has backfired badly...

7 greyed ot riders think that my penalty points will be much higher than my score this stage  14 Pig sick doesn't even come close!!

Dave, the situation above is, in my opinion, a good enough reason to have the 'Reset Transfers' Button available at ANY point before the start of a race! It would make it aesier to fix our mistakes if the button were available even after we made the actual transfers... Please consider it...

That, for me, would be the best of both worlds... I guess it would require the system to store your last actual team, but, I still think that what should matter is the actual number of transfers from the last time your team competed...

Firstly, you DON'T HAVE TO HAVE NINE RIDERS, YOU CAN LEAVE SOME GREYED OUT AND AVOID THE PENALTY POINTS.

*deep breath*

Right, I made my changes on Monday, I didn't know if I'd have time to submit a team tonight so got a team in rather than missing the deadline. It was a chance I took and if Sammy Sanchez doesn't ride then it might not pay off but it was my decision.

Everyone knows, or at least by now they really should do, that pro teams can change right up to race start, if you choose to transfer early its a gamble and it doesn't always pay off.

Likewise, after all the palaver in the first three classics there's no excuse for not realising that there's only limited transfers between these races.

In my opinion there was nothing wrong with how this was set up, all the problems have been nothing but bad luck, bad research or bad decisions. If anything needs to change I'd put a disclaimer on the 'confirm transfers' page saying that start lists are not and cannot be final until riders sign in on the morning of a stage but are as up to date as possible and its the players responsibility to check the most recent lists.

0 likes

yes. unlimited transfers.

0 likes

Dave, can we press the green confirm button as many times as we like up until the deadline on sunday morning?

would quite like to have a play about with the team but don't want to mess things up!

0 likes

4 to tie the races together into a series but acknowledging that there are bigger roster changes than between the stages of a stage race

0 likes

I'll just add to that Dave and his team came up with the original transfer scenario and thought 4 was an appropriate number (I seem to have done fine with that many)

0 likes

Out of interest, how was a decision reached that the number of transfers should have been 4?

I speak impartially as 4 was enough for me.

TERatcliffe26 replied to londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

Out of interest, how was a decision reached that the number of transfers should have been 4?

I speak impartially as 4 was enough for me.

Originally there was a few 6 transfer changes (one would have been now), but instead it was voted as a compromise we would have 4 all the way through but an unlimited between the flandrian and ardennes classics, due to the drastic change

0 likes

still, unlimited transfers next week...

Pages

Latest Comments