Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best cycling films?

Hi to all. It is very sad to see, but the world gets quarantined more and more because of the corona virus. Fortunately, where I live, I can still go for a bike ride, but all races and bigger events in general are being cancelled. It is not unlikely that I won’t be able to go for a bike ride soon too because of the virus restrictions.

That lead me thinking that I should stock up with cycling films. I thought about the best cycling films I have ever seen. One recent documentary that I really loved was “Wonderful Losers: A Different World” by Arunas Matelis, which had Svein Tuft and Chris Anker Sorensen (and others) as its heroes. I thought it was quite artsy, but really inspiring. It felt it showed the true beauty of cycling. I bought it on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/wonderful-losers-a-different-world/id1...

What are your favourite cycling films? Can we gather a list for quarantine days, just in case? ))

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Jack Sexty | 4 years ago
0 likes

Funny you should say that, here's your bible! https://road.cc/content/feature/267122-best-cycling-films-netflix-and-am...

(minus Breaking Away, I shall update it soon...) 

brooksby replied to Jack Sexty | 4 years ago
0 likes

I bought Breaking Away on DVD (I know - old-skool!) recently for about £1.50, but haven't quite got around to watching it...

henryb | 4 years ago
0 likes

Quicksilver? (actually I can't remeber if it's any good - I probably haven't seen it for 30 years...)

adamharries | 4 years ago
2 likes

"The Program" is a movie definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it, charing the rise and fall of Mr Armstrong.. Ben Foster is very good in the lead role, by the end I almost thought he was the real Lance Armstrong.. good bunch racing sequences too: correographed by David Millar using pro riders as extras (they even made sure the bikes used were authentic -Trek USPS madones etc of course, with a mixture of liveried up replicas (many supplied by Condor apparently ) for the other teams. The other main character is David Walsh in his pursuit of finding out the more questionable practices going on behind the scenes. Trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfp859pcM0

pwake | 4 years ago
1 like

"Pedalling Dreams: The Raleigh Story" is worth a watch. A nice documentary slice of social/economic history. Think it's still on BBC Player.

bfslxo | 4 years ago
0 likes

2nd vote for 'Wonderful Losers'

We had a live screening 2 years back in Belfast with the director due to several parts being filmed here. As mentioned very artsy & in truth not particularly a great film but still nice to get a bit more insight into the life of domestiques. I've forgotten the specfic riders name but the footage of him moving up & down the peloton during the giro are worth it for that alone.

gusstrang | 4 years ago
0 likes

David Millar's film Time Trial gets my vote. It was on limited release in cinemas but is now on paid Youtube, Amazon Prime and Google Play for £3.49 

Trailer HERE

peted76 replied to gusstrang | 4 years ago
1 like

gusstrang wrote:

David Millar's film Time Trial gets my vote. It was on limited release in cinemas but is now on paid Youtube, Amazon Prime and Google Play for £3.49 

Trailer HERE

I quite like Dave Millar and I really wanted to like this.. but I genuinely think it's the most boring piece of drivel to ever grace my television screen, please don't spend any money renting this, that is unless you 'really want' to hear David read crap poetry, again and again on over and over again about Davids feelings. 

gusstrang replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

Ah well - each to their own!

sparrowlegs | 4 years ago
2 likes

Slaying the badger. The updated version. Although not a movie, it's a documentary, it's well worth a watch. Shows LeMond in his prime and the battle he had with Hinault. The bit where Hinault renages on their agreement in a live interview is brilliant. LeMond's shocked looks is priceless. The niaivety he shows at the start compared to the cold-hearted determination at the end is captured brilliantly.

EM69 replied to sparrowlegs | 4 years ago
0 likes

where can I find the updated version & what is different?

sparrowlegs replied to EM69 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The updated version is since Lance was found guilty. It contains stuff like how LeMond said something to a reporter about Lance's victories and Lance took it the wrong way. From that Lance then got LeMonds bike brand crushed by Trek. I think since the downfall and subsequent multiple lawsuits against Lance, LeMond has his brand back and are looking at making bikes again.

I can't remember where I saw the updated version, probably some dodgy download but there's a grainy old version on youtube.

ktache replied to sparrowlegs | 4 years ago
0 likes

LeMond is a star!

brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm sorry; its kind of embarrassing, but if I got corona'd (I think its like tango'd, but less fun) then I'd be cracking a tube of Pringles and a four pack of beer and putting Premium Rush on the DVD.

I'm so sorry...

adamharries replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
2 likes

Yes! Guilty pleasure or not, Premium Rush is a great fun watch with some very impressive stunt riding sequences (including our very own Danny MacAskill) ..it may make you want to swap your carbon steed for a steel fixed gear round town

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

There is only one scene of bicycle fighting, but it's worth watching the whole movie, Jackie Chan's "Project A"

In fact, just watch his whole back catalogue, the Hong Kong stuff though, the US and Canadian films are bit of an aquired taste.

Martin1857 | 4 years ago
3 likes

Any votes for "American Flyers"?

skwarczek replied to Martin1857 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hell yeah. easily the best cycling film out there.

HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
1 like

Breaking Away

Belleville Rendez-vous

Jour de Fete

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

A Sunday in Hell.

And it's free on YouTube too.

peted76 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Second vote for a Sunday in Hell, I seem to watch it at least once a year.. a captivating and joyous watch every time.

Amazon Prime has a 'host' of cycling films and documentaries.. most are awful but I still watch them.. I even sat through one about TdF fans the other day.. it wass in french with no subtitles.. I really must get out more.

Another 'cracker' which sticks out is 'London Edinburgh London' about the 'once every four years' Audax ride, I watched that and it made me want to get involved.

efail replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

Bicycle Thieves, an Italian post war film. Brilliant. Google it. Available on You Tube, I think.

brooksby replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

A Sunday in Hell.

And it's free on YouTube too.

Is it really? Quick - to the google, robin!

Flachlandradler replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think this is a pretty good compilation of amazing bike films - complete with links  1 https://blog.bikemap.net/discussion-en/10-more-incredible-bike-movies/

Latest Comments