Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Claris on-shifter cable adjuster?

I've got some old Claris 8-speed shifters, the ones where the cable exits the side of the shifter rather than heading under the bar tape. I've never used them, they've been sat in the parts bin for a while. I was expecting there to be a barrel adjuster where the housing exits the shifter - should there be? And if so, any idea what the Shimano part number is? It doesn't show up on the exploded views on the Shimano manuals website.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

8 speed works even when covered in filth and with the chain in a terrible state.

The cheap stuff is very cheap, but the good stuff is rare and shockingly pricey.

Thank you for yor tale.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

All sorted, gotta love the huge tolerances of 8-speed. Wow the upshifts are loud, you could have headphones in and still hear them.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Found the answer - no on shifter barrel adjuster, these are designed for a frame with downtube barrel adjusters. Outer just sits into the shifter body. Looks like I'll need inline adjusters as my frame stops aren't threaded.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Update: looks like these are ST-2400 shifters, no thumb shift button.

The equivalent part I'm talking about exists for Sora - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-sora-st3500-cable-adjust... - anyone know if ST-2400 had the same system? The dealer manual mentions it but as it covers multiple shifters it's not clear which instructions apply to which shifters.

Latest Comments