Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Etape Training - Bristol

Hi,

Just wandered if anyone else from Bristol had entered the Etape next year? I've signed up for the Alpine (Modane to Alpe D'Huez) stage, and if there's anyone else who lives near me that's doing it and might fancy getting some training in then let me know!

-Schleck Wannabe

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Old Cranky | 13 years ago
0 likes

The Alpe is a brute and I was grateful for my 28 sprocket on the Marmotte. I'd recommend fitting an 11-28 and at least you'll have it in reserve.

ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes

Happy New Year one and all. Thanks for the comments - my interest is more about getting a feel for what might be required on the day, by simulating it in training; difficult I know. I just went for a bash up Burrington Combe with my new Allez set up (39/53 at the front and 13-26 at the back). Didn't have to use the last 2 gears and tried to keep at 60+ rpm. On the flat the difference between the two chainrings will get some getting used to (my old bike had 52/42 with 11-24 at the back which was very smooth). Here's to good training in 2012.  4

macnmud | 13 years ago
0 likes

As someone who has ridden many of the big climbs in the Alps and Pyrennees I wouldn't worry about RPM. It's simply a case of riding at whatever speed you can manage and arriving at the top whenever that may be.

Nothing in the UK compares to these brutes and never underestimate just how low a gear you need. I would recommend 39 x 28.

Simon_MacMichael | 13 years ago
0 likes

Not as technical as what you're looking for, ironbloke, but I've found the iCols app useful (well, from the safety of the armchair while watching eg TDF). Dozens if not hundreds of climbs across the Continent with gradients, route maps etc.

Had a quick Google to see of I could find something closer to what you need but drawing a blank so far I'm afraid.

ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes

Anyone know of an application for hill climbing in France? A fellow cyclist suggested that there was an app which allows you to enter the hill in question, input your gear ratio / gear inches and it will tell you ther RPM required to climb it in a set time. Can't find anything on the web and don't know how to do the calculations.  7

dave atkinson replied to ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes
ironbloke wrote:

Anyone know of an application for hill climbing in France? A fellow cyclist suggested that there was an app which allows you to enter the hill in question, input your gear ratio / gear inches and it will tell you ther RPM required to climb it in a set time. Can't find anything on the web and don't know how to do the calculations.  7

the calculation would, i think, go something like:

gear inches x 0.08 = metres of development, ie how far your bike travels per rotation of the pedals;

climb distance in metres / development = number of pedal rotations;

pedal rotations / time in minutes = RPM

so, if you want to climb the Soulor (13km) in an hour, and you have a 34/25 bottom gear (36"), the calculation is:

(13,000 / (36 x 0.08)) / 60 = 75rpm

I'm not sure how useful it is though, unless you're just going to stick your bike in a particular gear and keep checking your cadence the whole time. It might work okay on a real steady one like the Soulor, it'll be no use on the Marie Blanque or anything else with big changes of gradient...

Garrigou | 13 years ago
0 likes

VC Walcot in Bath are a pretty friendly bunch.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

SRAM Apex gives you a 34/32 which is 28" or thereabouts; i'm currently testing it and it's great to have a gear that low on a road bike. remember that if you do go above 28 at the back you'll either need the apex rear mech or an MTB one for Shimano, as road ones aren't designed for rear cogs the size of saucers  1

ironbloke replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

The other option might be to have a triple at the front? Any comments? I guess I would need to change the front shifter.

I had a ride with BADTri, who were great, but what cycle clubs are there in the Chew valley area? I'm at Bishop Sutton south of Bristol and 20 mins from Bath.

Fringe replied to ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes
ironbloke wrote:

I had a ride with BADTri, who were great, but what cycle clubs are there in the Chew valley area? I'm at Bishop Sutton south of Bristol and 20 mins from Bath.

hmm, your in a bit of a nomans land there, obviously you got Bristol (Severn RC, Bristol South etc) and then in Clevedon there's Clevedon and District RC, Bath..dunno.

could always start your own club (Chew Bishop RC?!  4 )

dave atkinson replied to ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes
ironbloke wrote:

The other option might be to have a triple at the front? Any comments? I guess I would need to change the front shifter.

a road triple will give you more or less the same range as a compact with a wide cassette, so horses for courses really. triple gives you closer ratios but it's a bit heavier.

ironbloke | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking at gearing for Act 1 (Modane to Alpe D'Huez) because my trusty (rusty) old steed has 42 at the front and 26 at the back which is about 40 gear inches. I think I need something more like a compact (39'ish) at the front and 34 at the back which I think would give me 27 gear inches and half a chance of only walking the realy steep bits!

etapechamp | 13 years ago
0 likes

have a good ride guys

ironbloke replied to etapechamp | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have signed up and could do with some training partners.

TwiggyHo | 13 years ago
0 likes

THANK YOU!

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

i'm planning to do a 130/150km ride on the 28th nov, 50/50 flat/hills.. anyone from this 'ere road.cc forum welcome to join me/us.

TwiggyHo | 13 years ago
0 likes

Would be nice to meet more cyclists from this area. Any chance of a google maps style thing road.cc guys and girls? So we can put a 'pin' where we live (town) so you can click and ask if they would be interested in group rides.

Maybe this already exists and I have missed it.

dave atkinson replied to TwiggyHo | 13 years ago
0 likes
TwiggyHo wrote:

Would be nice to meet more cyclists from this area. Any chance of a google maps style thing road.cc guys and girls? So we can put a 'pin' where we live (town) so you can click and ask if they would be interested in group rides. Maybe this already exists and I have missed it.

sounds fun. let's do it.

seriously though, we are looking at a whole lot of stuff at the moment around localising content and that kind of functionality would indeed be ace. So we'll add it to the big list.

ilovemytinbred | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well I have not signed up for this but I am always up for more people to go riding with in Bristol. I would be more than happy to do some proper climbing in Wales. I think I may have met you before on a nbcc ride. (I was prob riding a ti planet x)

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

I can recommend the Dunkery Dash (13 March) for a bit of early season climbing practice: http://bridgwater-cc.purplecloud.net/dunkerydash.html

Also the Forest of Dean spring classic (1 May): http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/FOD/forest_of_dean_spring_classic_cycling_...

prob see you at both if you go  1

Latest Comments