Home

Just had my first look at the route and details of the race.

Looks like there is a big change in the points competition this year. Some stage have 5 intermediate sprints, some have only one and a lot of the intermediate sprints are half way up a climb. There is one on the flat 2km from the start of a mountain stage.

I have no idea how points are going to be awarded, I can't find a copy of the rules anywhere but it looks like they are trying to create a more competitive competition, which can be won by sprinters, climbers, puncheurs or breakers. Dr Winston should like this.

Interestingly the most competitive rider is chosen by the public via social media.

162 comments

Condor Andy [803 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

No combined jersey either, but a proper youth classification. Doesn't look like they've made the full roadbook available yet, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

We score these intermediate sprints as normal 6-4-2 usually. If it's true that there are up to 5 each stage then that might be overkill. I'll have a look when it's all finalised and see how they're officially awarding points.

MinardiM189 [683 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Condor Andy wrote:

No combined jersey either, but a proper youth classification. Doesn't look like they've made the full roadbook available yet, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

We score these intermediate sprints as normal 6-4-2 usually. If it's true that there are up to 5 each stage then that might be overkill. I'll have a look when it's all finalised and see how they're officially awarding points.

The flat stages only have one intermediate sprint and the mountain stages up to 5, looking at the stage profiles.

0 likes

Are you looking at the official profiles? I'm actually having a hard time seeing any intermediate sprints. There are the climbs in blue and I think the grey circles indicate the start of each climb. Can't see a key anywhere though.

0 likes
Condor Andy wrote:

Are you looking at the official profiles? I'm actually having a hard time seeing any intermediate sprints. There are the climbs in blue and I think the grey circles indicate the start of each climb. Can't see a key anywhere though.

Looks like I am talking crap. Mixing up GPM which represents  sprints in other races with the GP they are using for the start of the climbs.

archieboy [89 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

The roadbook is now available, just been looking at it on Velorooms.

jollygoodvelo [1862 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I think this year it could be a really open race.  Tom D and Froome missing still obviously, a few of the other big guns either not going or due to leave their current teams... what price a fourth first-time winner on the bounce?

0 likes
jollygoodvelo wrote:

I think this year it could be a really open race.  Tom D and Froome missing still obviously, a few of the other big guns either not going or due to leave their current teams... what price a fourth first-time winner on the bounce?

Having a team time trial at the start could make it interesting, with certain riders needing to make up time from the start.

If Roglic is racing it will always be interestin becuase he can't stop himself attacking. although I fear his experience in the Giro may calm him down.

2 likes

In terms of our game, it might end up being super low scoring. I think the route is breakaway central; maybe 5 sprints max and tons of potential for breakaways. No ridiculous altitude, but 8 summit finishes.

How do we plan from the start with a TTT? Probably a reduced sprint on stage 2 and then 2 sprints. It's going to be super interesting. I'll set up the stages and what-not later this week.

0 likes

A lot of the possible sprint stages look difficult to control and could go to the break too, the second stage could be one for the break as  well.

I can see a non GC rider being in Red for quite a while.

After the TTT either Jumbo, Ineos or EF should be in the lead. None of them will be interested in keeping the jersey all the way through.

0 likes

I think stage 8 looks the most likely to be the 'throw the jersey away' stage.

Dr Winston [825 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Just looked at the stages...and agreed. Plenty of stages look hard to call...all the better for that.

That said....who do we fancy to do well and why?

0 likes

Hard one to call. Altitude doesn't look like it'll be an issue like it was in the Tour, it's only stage 9 that goes over 2000m and that's just at the finish. Stage 5, 16, 18, and 20 also go fairly high, but not like Tour levels.

I think Valverde looks good. I would also say Simon Yates, but this will be his 3rd GT this year, so he might go for stages, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. What's Lopez going to do? He's had a pretty quiet year so far. And then there's the Jumbo duo of Kruijswijk and Roglic. Is Geoghegan Hart going to lead Ineos?

0 likes

Roglic & Kruijswijk duo look strong & have good support. Bennett may even give them a 3rd option.

Since his crash in 2017 TdF Valverde hasn't been as strong in the mountains, Quintana will ride for himself, Carapaz will get less freedom than in the Giro.

EF have a strong team but Martinez is a bit of an unknown and Uran will probaby ride too defensively to win.

Lopez will lose time in both TTs, imo Astana need to do something crazy early and try and get Lopez in a situation where he can ride defensively rather than permanently chasing a miracle.

I don't think Ineos will have a team capable of controlling the race and they don't have Bernal to attack the others.

First GC win for Jumbo Visma.

0 likes

Martinez pulled out of the Tour of Utah before it started with a respiratory illness and fever. Not good preparation.

Roglic hasn't ridden a stage race since the Giro, and he's not down for anything in the lead up. Let's see what kind of form he's in.

Looking at the teams for the TTT, Quick Step don't have a GC rider; Jumbo and Ineos should be two of the best; EF should do really well, but who's their GC leader? I can't see anyone else doing that well.

So I'm inclined to agree, it's Jumbo's to lose.

0 likes

No Thomas for Ineos, he is doing Deutchland Tour

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:

No Thomas for Ineos, he is doing Deutchland Tour

Another strong line up for the Deutschland tour...very strong. I seem to recall we talked about it last year as well.

0 likes

No Yates at the Vuelta either.

Mitchelton all in for Chaves but will probably end up with Nieve stage hunting.

0 likes

Weidly worded press release from them. It was sort of all in for Chaves GC, but also stage hunting. Mezgec looks good for the sprints.

Sunweb are all in for Kelderman GC and they're bringing Walscheid for the sprints.

0 likes
Condor Andy wrote:

Weidly worded press release from them. It was sort of all in for Chaves GC, but also stage hunting. Mezgec looks good for the sprints.

Sunweb are all in for Kelderman GC and they're bringing Walscheid for the sprints.

Yeah. Mezgec looks a shoe in to begin with. The whole race is heading more and more towards the lads from Jumbo before even a wheel has turned....no Yates brothers is just another reason for them to be happy.

0 likes

Movistar with Valverde, Carapaz, Soler & Quintana.

I imagine Soler will be working as a domestique, so just 3 leaders again.

Astana have Fugsang in their team, I imagine he is only there to help Lopez though.

0 likes

All the line-ups announced now.

Roglic and Kruijswijck won't ever get a better chance to win a GT.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:

Dumoulin has signed for them....crikey...

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Dumoulin has signed for them....crikey...

De Plus is a very good prospect too, still only 23 and incredibly talented. He could prove to be the best of the lot.

1 like

Opened everything now. Had to adjust the budget for the Spanish riders comp as there are only 35 of them and Valverde is the only expensive one.

0 likes

Yeah. Game on.

Not sure who will be leading out Jumbo in the TTT. Will they have learnt not to offer up Roglic to the worlds press by putting him in the leaders jersey early on?....Surely Tony Martin or somebody will be leading over the line won’t they?....Same for team INS with Hart?

0 likes

Good start for my team in defence of my win last year. Put Eddie Dunbar in who now appears to be greyed out and replaced by Wout Poels. 

Poels and Hart declared as joint leaders and sort it out as the race unfolds....this seems to be becoming a thing with Ineos now.

Good tactic or bad tactic?...thoughts.

carnesjf [2 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

Does anyone remember how the jerseys are awarded for the ttt? The team with the best time gets 20 for each rider but with in that team does the first rider across the line get almost all the jerseys by default? Thanks!

Condor Andy [803 posts] 4 weeks ago
1 like

I read up in the rules that they're not awarding the points jersey for the TTT, and there are no climbs. So only the GC and youth jerseys are awarded. Safe money is on Jumbo to win it, maybe with someone random crossing first. Powless, Kuss, of Hofstede for youth (I think they're all eligible).

Also, Winston, Hart is there to learn from Poels. I would bet that Poels will finish higher up GC, but I'm not sure. When the big favourite teams are Movistar, Jumbo, and Astana, then anything Ineos pick up is a bonus.

MinardiM189 [683 posts] 4 weeks ago
1 like
Dr Winston wrote:

Good start for my team in defence of my win last year. Put Eddie Dunbar in who now appears to be greyed out and replaced by Wout Poels. 

Poels and Hart declared as joint leaders and sort it out as the race unfolds....this seems to be becoming a thing with Ineos now.

Good tactic or bad tactic?...thoughts.

Do they have a choice ?

Poels could be a podium contender but could also be out of contention after the first GC stage.

So asking Poels to support TGH & vice versa makes no sense until they see how things go.

jollygoodvelo [1862 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes
Condor Andy wrote:

Opened everything now. Had to adjust the budget for the Spanish riders comp as there are only 35 of them and Valverde is the only expensive one.

No repeat of the Giro where it was possible to pick the perfect team then?  3

Pages