190 comments

Condor Andy [803 posts] 2 months ago
2 likes

Probably sometime next week, I'll be setting it all up soon  1

Dr Winston [825 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

On

Only one team declared so far....Team Jumbo-Visma

Kruiswijk, Groenewegen, Van Aert the obvious picks.

I can see Kruiswijk possibly ending up in a lot of purist teams...Bernal, Fuglsang and co will be expensive bit Kruiswijk’s results have been a bit meh this year...so he might turn out to be affordable when picking our teams alongside a more expensive pick or two for up the mountains.

0 likes

Another big name out after the withdrawal of Froome and Dumoulin....Gaviria has failed to recover from a knee injury so has withdrawn to try and be ready for the Vuelta.

That might actually be good news for UAE...that Gaviria/Kristoff thing just seems messy....

MinardiM189 [681 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Another big name out after the withdrawal of Froome and Dumoulin....Gaviria has failed to recover from a knee injury so has withdrawn to try and be ready for the Vuelta.

That might actually be good news for UAE...that Gaviria/Kristoff thing just seems messy....

When they raced together in UAE Tour it seemed to work very well. Kristoff must be reasonably happy with the situation as he just signed for another year.

2 likes

Mrs Winston has played a blinder again this year by booking our holiday for the first half of the TDF back in the same place as last year with the almost non existent internet connection. Undaunted i’ve Been out today and got myself a couple of TDF magazines to help me along. I can confirm that Froome, Dumoulin, Simon Yates and Roglic are heavily tipped in the “one to watch” section....

Seriously though...this years race is so much better than last years sprint fest.

0 likes

These temperatures in France are starting to look worryingly high.

0 likes

Lotto, Astana and Quick step all released their teams....quite a few potential winners in that lot. Lotto with Wellens, Benoot and Ewan well set up for this paticular race....Quick step with no Gilbert is sad to see...this would have suited him and on great form. Astana looking very Astana....good stuff.

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Lotto, Astana and Quick step all released their teams....quite a few potential winners in that lot. Lotto with Wellens, Benoot and Ewan well set up for this paticular race....Quick step with no Gilbert is sad to see...this would have suited him and on great form. Astana looking very Astana....good stuff.

Quickstep have gone for more strength in the ITT and sprints by including Lampert & Asgreen, they will also help when they are chasing. Sensible decision imo.

Wellens is going to struggle with the heat, not sure how Benoot is when it is hot.

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Quick step with no Gilbert is sad to see...this would have suited him and on great form.

Gilbert isn't very happy and will probably be leaving QS at the end of the season.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Quick step with no Gilbert is sad to see...this would have suited him and on great form.

Gilbert isn't very happy and will probably be leaving QS at the end of the season.

Aye...it’s a shame he won’t be there....not just riding well but climbing well on his last outing. 

DID you see the WVA result today?

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

That is impressive, beating an in from Lampaert by a considerable margin.

WVA demonstrating he is a top, top ITT rider.

If he concentrates on ITT he can be world champion soon.

unless MVP decides to ITT

Incredible how 2 riders can come to the fore so soon in their careeers.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Interesting times. I’ve been looking at the betting odds for the win...Porte at 14/1 sums up that maybe the field for the high mountains and SF’s may not be as strong as some years (he,’s done nothing to warrant 14/1)..but then the field for rolleurs, punchers and medium mountains looks incredibly strong. ..I can’t remember better.

What’s even better is that this paticular year suits them well. 

What do you think? 

stevemarks [617 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Interesting times. I’ve been looking at the betting odds for the win...Porte at 14/1 sums up that maybe the field for the high mountains and SF’s may not be as strong as some years (he,’s done nothing to warrant 14/1)..but then the field for rolleurs, punchers and medium mountains looks incredibly strong. ..I can’t remember better.

What do you think? 

Matthews v Sagan v Alaphilippe with GVA and WVA going to be very competitive if they all go for green although I suspect Ala may try for Pokka Dots.

The odds for the overall have come in a long way for all the main contenders since froome crashed which just shows the uncertainty, frankly Bernal at 9/4 is absurd but who in their right mind would back Porte at 14's

I can never remember seeing so many really strong TTT's either Look at EF and CCC and they are like 4/5 best teams here maybe?

It's the sprints that look a bit lightweight no Ackermann or Bennett, Kittel gone Gaviria out. Th rouliers are going to be looking to mop up points in every sprint.

0 likes

Wow Adam and Simon that's interesting.

0 likes
stevemarks wrote:

Wow Adam and Simon that's interesting.

Really?...didn't see that coming. Who will ride for who?

0 likes
stevemarks wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

What do you think? 

Matthews v Sagan v Alaphilippe with GVA and WVA going to be very competitive if they all go for green although I suspect Ala may try for Pokka Dots.

The odds for the overall have come in a long way for all the main contenders since froome crashed which just shows the uncertainty, frankly Bernal at 9/4 is absurd but who in their right mind would back Porte at 14's

I can never remember seeing so many really strong TTT's either Look at EF and CCC and they are like 4/5 best teams here maybe?

It's the sprints that look a bit lightweight no Ackermann or Bennett, Kittel gone Gaviria out. Th rouliers are going to be looking to mop up points in every sprint.

Valverde has hardly had a mention, such is the strength of those that could do well in the stages that looks like one day races...and there are many...

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
stevemarks wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

What do you think? 

Valverde has hardly had a mention, such is the strength of those that could do well in the stages that looks like one day races...and there are many...

wealth of riches Benoot, wellens and Kwiatkowski are riding too.

Condor Andy [803 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Adam Yates is leader, Simon is there for support.

0 likes

Valverde coming into form with a win in Spain again.  Sheesh...who the hell to pick...

mckja800 [3 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Do we know when the teams will be available to choose?

1 like
mckja800 wrote:

Only 13 teams out of 22 have actually announced teams so far...they're being a bit slow.

mckja800 [3 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
mckja800 wrote:

Only 13 teams out of 22 have actually announced teams so far...they're being a bit slow.

Ok thanks for the response. I look forward to it.

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Only 2 teams left to announce now - EFE & DimData.

Good news for sprinters no Bouhanni, bad news for sprinters Bonifazio.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Only 2 teams left to announce now - EFE & DimData.

Good news for sprinters no Bouhanni, bad news for sprinters Bonifazio.

No Cavendish. End of an era?.....

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

He probably has until the end of the season to find some sort of form.

If not I suspect he will retire.

Hopefully when he retires he gets a job with Eurosport, it will be fun listening to him rather than the droning bullshit from Brian Smith.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

He probably has until the end of the season to find some sort of form.

If not I suspect he will retire.

Hopefully when he retires he gets a job with Eurosport, it will be fun listening to him rather than the droning bullshit from Brian Smith.

That’ll be good....although I don’t actually mind the droning bullshit. It’s just nice,  gentle television.

0 likes

This race is a lot more subtle than the Giro or Vuelta...not so many mad swings from one day to the next with the terrain....it’s all in blocks of type again. Breakaway stages hard to identify as well.

0 likes

Thankfully no silly cobbled stages to take out GC riders this year. The chances of a GC rider having problems during a 3 week race are high enough without introducing stages designed to cause 'bad luck'. The race lost Porte & Uran on the cobbles last year.

Hopefully they stop spectators taking out GC riders this year too. Bring in the Paris riot police to maintain control angel.

0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:

Thankfully no silly cobbled stages to take out GC riders this year. The chances of a GC rider having problems during a 3 week race are high enough without introducing stages designed to cause 'bad luck'. The race lost Porte & Uran on the cobbles last year.

Hopefully they stop spectators taking out GC riders this year too. Bring in the Paris riot police to maintain control angel.

Could do with them to stop my wife keep booking holidays during the first two weeks of the TDF...it’s Getting annoying now.

0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Could do with them to stop my wife keep booking holidays during the first two weeks of the TDF...it’s Getting annoying now.

I'm in France from 13th to 20th and no idea if I will have an internet connection. I didn't think when I booked it.

Pages