Home

Three months from now, it will be bye bye shithole Britain.  

127 comments

Avatar
ktache [1497 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes

Good luck mate, the Netherlands by any chance?

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3489 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes

Congratulations!

IIRC wasn't it Denmark? You'll be able to turn right-on-red legally.

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
13 likes

Thank you, gents.  Yes, Copenhagen.     Going to be spending a lot of weekends up there, and possibly more.  It'll be a downsize from our current house, and less money.  And higher taxes.  But it is a lot happier, and there isn't a tiny, neoliberal elite who have been robbing the country since 1979.  

There's a monarchy, unfortunately.   But one can't have everything. 

I did a bit of cycling when up there.  Night and bloody day.  

Avatar
Mungecrundle [1422 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes

Congratulations, hope things work out for you.

Britain is far from perfect, but having travelled in many other parts of the World, my opinion is that whilst there are certainly parts and people that I would try and avoid, it is far and away one of the least shitholey countries on the planet and I for one have great pride in being British.

Avatar
Alessandro [180 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

All the best with the move and hope it works out as hoped. 

 

I've travelled around a bit as well, albeit never to Denmark, and the only place that I've considered moving to was Switzerland where the pay is high, taxes are low, public transport is well-invested (at least around Zurich where I was based), scenery is phenomenal and wealth is not flaunted liek it is in the UK (contrary to people's beliefs about it being a place to hide cash). I suspect that Denmark is similar but with a higher tax rate but it would definitely be on a list of places that I would happily move to, along with the Netherlands and Luxembourg. 

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

Congratulations, hope things work out for you.

Britain is far from perfect, but having travelled in many other parts of the World, my opinion is that whilst there are certainly parts and people that I would try and avoid, it is far and away one of the least shitholey countries on the planet and I for one have great pride in being British.

I suppose it's all a matter of perception.  I react badly to unwarranted aggression directed at me, and in Britain, that is my experience - whether I am in a car, on foot or on a bicycle.  Every single time a car driver comes near me, I sense the anger and the aggression in his presence.   Like that link I posted yesterday: very often, the act of driving a car in a city is an act of violence. 

No doubt some of it comes from me.  I'm not very patient.  I'm a bit gobby.  

But whatever the reason, this is poisoning my quality of life.  

 

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3489 posts] 1 month ago
7 likes
Avatar
brimstone [14 posts] 1 month ago
7 likes

Good luck with the move and please keep us all updated from out there.  I like your phrase of 'unwarranted aggression' - I'm truly fed up with it too; it's almost everytime I go out on the bike.

Avatar
ktache [1497 posts] 1 month ago
7 likes

I also hate the aggression, but it's the "distracted" that really terrifies me, and no amount of "remorse" will ever be enough.

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes
brimstone wrote:

Good luck with the move and please keep us all updated from out there.  I like your phrase of 'unwarranted aggression' - I'm truly fed up with it too; it's almost everytime I go out on the bike.

Well, do something about it. 

There used to be a poster on the NYC underground back when crime in the city was 'out of control', to quote the tabloids.  It was a photograph of a hand holding a revolver, and the weapon had just been fired.  Visible was smoke and muzzle flash.  The caption was 'fight back'.

I'm not suggesting that you get a ... actually, fuck it.  I am suggesting that you arm yourself.  

Avatar
HoarseMann [207 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes

Good luck.

I'm planning our family hols in The Netherlands this summer, to check it out. I’m also keen to abandon Britain. Only problem is I would feel bad about uprooting our kids from their friends and schools they are happy at. But then again, I read an article that put teenagers in The Netherlands as the happiest in the world...

Avatar
srchar [1331 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

It has its problems, but there are plenty of worse places to live. Denmark, for one. Wrap up warm...

Obligatory book recommendation: The Almost Nearly Perfect People.

Avatar
janusz0 [344 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

Best of luck Legs! I regret not moving to Scandinavia long ago. I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Avatar
brimstone [14 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes
Legs_Eleven_Worcester wrote:
brimstone wrote:

Good luck with the move and please keep us all updated from out there.  I like your phrase of 'unwarranted aggression' - I'm truly fed up with it too; it's almost everytime I go out on the bike.

Well, do something about it. 

There used to be a poster on the NYC underground back when crime in the city was 'out of control', to quote the tabloids.  It was a photograph of a hand holding a revolver, and the weapon had just been fired.  Visible was smoke and muzzle flash.  The caption was 'fight back'.

I'm not suggesting that you get a ... actually, fuck it.  I am suggesting that you arm yourself.  

 

Well actually I have tried. I even sent bike camera footage to the Police and when after several prompts to them when no response was received, I complained to the Police Complaints Commissioner. Weeks later I got a response from the Police that it was too late to take action. I even had a very lengthy telephone conversation with the Police road safety team in that area. The long and short of it was that the police decided to add the VRNs of the offending vehicles to their intelligence database. Not very satisfactory I’ll admit but we’re fighting against almost total Police and political apathy. Once all this Brexit nonsense is over, I’ll write to my local MP about what needs to be done. I’ve written to him on other subjects in the past and usually received cut and pasted responses that don’t directly answer the issue - so, not expecting anything meaningful from him. I also sent a suggestion for a safe passing distance poster to British Cycling about 3 weeks ago - no response received!

Avatar
srchar [1331 posts] 1 month ago
8 likes

The only way the police will give two shits about bad driving's impact on cyclists will be when their budget has been cut so much that they can't afford to drive around in cars and are all on bikes...

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [3063 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

I loved Denmark on my visits there but was 20 years ago now, have beautiful memories and a person that could have changed my life forever managed to slip through my fingers, ah well.

I really hope it brings you the peace and harmony you're after.

Good luck.

 

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I loved Denmark on my visits there but was 20 years ago now, have beautiful memories and a person that could have changed my life forever managed to slip through my fingers, ah well.

I had a similiar experience in Paris in 1985.  Her name was Anna and I was so drunk that I kept correcting her English.  Unsurprisingly, she fucked off. 

As you say - ah well.   1

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [3063 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes
Legs_Eleven_Worcester wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I loved Denmark on my visits there but was 20 years ago now, have beautiful memories and a person that could have changed my life forever managed to slip through my fingers, ah well.

I had a similiar experience in Paris in 1985.  Her name was Anna and I was so drunk that I kept correcting her English.  Unsurprisingly, she fucked off. 

As you say - ah well.   1

Lol, mine wasn't quite like that, neither us were ready and I was a single parent so it was complicated.

as for France ... Dorathee, Christine, wonderful days of touring around and hopping from one village to another, I should be back there this year away from the madding crowd and the only plundering will be good food and drink! 

Avatar
Eton Rifle [139 posts] 1 month ago
7 likes

Sorry you're off mate.  All the best.  I have to say that I don't blame you.  I scarcely recognise this country these days.  Just what the fuck has happened to us?  I always planned to retire to France in a few years but of course this Brexit clusterfuck is likely to put paid to that.  Again, all the best and hope the cycling is good.

Avatar
brooksby [4352 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Eton Rifle wrote:

Sorry you're off mate.  All the best.  I have to say that I don't blame you.  I scarcely recognise this country these days.  Just what the fuck has happened to us? 

A few years ago I began to wonder if I was the problem; that nothing had changed except I'd got older and started getting all cynical and misanthropic.

 I now realise that I was wrong: the country *has* changed. Not for the better. And you can't blame immigrants or any external forces.

Its our own political class and financial sector has grown more and more evil, trying to imitate the free range market of murica. Gravy train. Pigs with their snouts in the trough. Claims about free market, except when they need massive government subsidy to keep the wheels turning. 

Sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah: good luck, Legs11 - I hope all goes well for you, and that your Dansk is coming on  3

 

Avatar
srchar [1331 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

When books are written about the last decade, they will lay the blame for its social ills squarely at the door of ZIRP. As a method of inflating the value of assets held by the already rich, bailing out the profligate and enriching unproductive, rentier sectors of the economy, it's unparalleled. Brexit and Trump are merely the result of awful central bank policy, as will PM Corbyn be.

And it's not going to change until currencies are trashed. We live in interesting times.

Avatar
mike the bike [1194 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
srchar wrote:

...... We live in interesting times.

 

That's what my dad would say.  And his dad, and his, and his .........

Avatar
Sniffer [608 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

When was this wonderful time that we look back on with rose tinted nostalgia?

Avatar
ConcordeCX [1039 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Sniffer wrote:

When was this wonderful time that we look back on with rose tinted nostalgia?

https://youtu.be/gsyEQk6OQi0

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

-- A E Housman

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Sniffer wrote:

When was this wonderful time that we look back on with rose tinted nostalgia?

Well, I certainly look back to the late sixties and early seventies as a time before neoliberalism.   That particular ideology has all but destroyed society.  

Avatar
Mungecrundle [1422 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

Funny, I look back to the 70's at least as a decade of power cuts, rubbish in the streets, my Father digging up the garden to grow vegetables due to the 3 day week and intransigent fat cat union bosses systematically dismantling this country's ability to compete against technologically superior foreign manufacturing in numerous industries with their refusals to modernise. Industrial action, secondary picketing and disruption all the way through to the miners strike and the Wapping disputes of the 80s.

I look back on the popular TV and film genres of the time and cringe with embarrassement at the casual racism, misogyny and homophobia.

Also the carefree days of youth. Summer of 76 and other hilights. Bit like today, a mixed bag certainly not utopia. I do however respect that other people grew up in very different circumstances to my white middle class privilege in a 'nice' Essex village and I also rail against the current corporate culture of utterly indefensible greed at the top levels based on exploitation of workers and paying customers, though I have the luxury of doing so as a shareholder rather than burning other people's possessions in the street as some sort of protest.

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Mungecrundle wrote:

Funny, I look back to the 70's at least as a decade of power cuts, rubbish in the streets, my Father digging up the garden to grow vegetables due to the 3 day week and intransigent fat cat union bosses systematically dismantling this country's ability to compete against technologically superior foreign manufacturing in numerous industries with their refusals to modernise. Industrial action, secondary picketing and disruption all the way through to the miners strike and the Wapping disputes of the 80s. I look back on the popular TV and film genres of the time and cringe with embarrassement at the casual racism, misogyny and homophobia. Also the carefree days of youth. Summer of 76 and other hilights. Bit like today, a mixed bag certainly not utopia. I do however respect that other people grew up in very different circumstances to my white middle class privilege in a 'nice' Essex village and I also rail against the current corporate culture of utterly indefensible greed at the top levels based on exploitation of workers and paying customers, though I have the luxury of doing so as a shareholder rather than burning other people's possessions in the street as some sort of protest.

Well, this is laughable, and is really nothing but parroting the right-wing mantra about ‘the winter of discontent’ - a myth which has been firmly cemented in the public’s mind by incessant repetition of this lie by the right-wing media and politicians.   The ‘winter of discontent’ one is as false as ‘Labour overspent before 2008’ and ‘Hitler was a socialist’, but they have been repeated so often and with such fervour, that they have passed into the public’s minds almost as ‘facts’. 

For one thing, high inflation in the 1970s was not caused by Labour or by the trade unions, but principally by the decision by OPEC to double the price of a barrel of oil as retaliation for US support of Israel during the Yom Kippour war.  This led to an increase in prices across the board, which led to the workers demanding wage increases in order to be able to eat.  Hardly ‘greedy’ or ‘fat cat’.   And as for those unions, it’s curious that trade union support of Labour is portrayed as somehow ‘bad’ or as ‘undemocratic’, whereas massive (and in many cases, undocumented and unregistered) contributions from billionaires into the coffers of the Conservative Party are almost completely ignored.  Why is that, do you think? 

Your memories are flawed - if they are indeed memories and not tales passed down by your father - as the misery you cite didn’t really exist.  UK quality of life reached a peak in 1976 (source: New Economic Foundation ‘Measure of Domestic Progress’) and has yet to reach the same high.   The strikes were in reaction to attacks on the right to withhold labour - such as the Industrial Relations Act 1972 - and after the election of the Labour government in 1972, the unions did not demand the wage increases that they have always been accused of demanding.  Labour adhered to a form of ‘social contract’ whereby rent was controlled, as were utilities bills.   But all of this is little use as capital fled the country that year, just as it always does when Labour is in power.  

If you’d like an idea of the extent to which the right has ‘mythologised’ the so-called 'winter of discontent', I can recommend The Establishment and How They Get Away With it, by Owen Jones. 

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3489 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes

When I see programmes from the 70s it seems to me that people were uglier back then and muscle definition didn't seem to have been invented.

However, I've recently been finding old rare groove/funk tracks on YouTube and damn, the music was so much better.

Avatar
Legs_Eleven_Wor... [645 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

When I see programmes from the 70s it seems to me that people were uglier back then and muscle definition didn't seem to have been invented. However, I've recently been finding old rare groove/funk tracks on YouTube and damn, the music was so much better.

I think that iPhones and the Internet aside, most things were better.  It was unquestionably a more 'caring' society than the one that we have known since 1979.  

I often hope that reincarnation is a thing, and that when I die, I can come back for another bite at the cherry, but not now.  Not a year after I die, or five years, or ten years or whatever.  But back in the sixties and seventies, like I was as 'me'.  

That would be rather nice.   

Pages