Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SENSAH Empire (11-speed) groupset

Had to ask if anybody has experience with this rather obscure budget groupset?
Like Microshift's budget R series groups, the Empire is sold as shifters and deraileurs only, and it's similarily priced by the looks of things (139,99 euros brand new currently on euro Amazon sites). The retailer who sort of poses as (or may even be connected to the company, who knows) make bold and surely completely far fetched claims in their extensive product description such as "above 105 quality, below Ultegra".

Seems also unclear whether the groupset is Shimano compatible (some say yes- including the seller in one place, but some say no, and only SRAM compatible).
Since I have no SRAM gear and probably never will I won't be chancing my arm buying one of these groupsets unless I hear it's good and compatible with Shimano.

Less the shifters, the rest, namely the rear deraileur, looks rather toy-like, but who knows, it might be up somebody's street given and even deliver slight cool-factor rolling around with a groupset that nobody else in your town or perhaps even in your entire country has.
Well, that is, of course, if the groupset was decent and durable in performance.
I'd bet most people on a budget wouldn't risk buying it to find out.
Microshift has a lot of (mostly good) feedback going for it and you see it fitted thesedays on a few manufacturer's budget bikes. I don't think I ever saw or heard of a manufacturers bike fitted with Sensah.

Visited their website and can't find any info about the Empire, or any road groupsets whatsoever for that matter. Instead only links to MTB groupsets..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

hmas1974 | 4 years ago
0 likes

There is a detailed review on YouTube which places a lot of emphasis on weight.

Shifters are a mix of Shimano and Sram. Double tap type shifting but the entire lever moves rather than a separate paddle. It looked very fiddly, especially with front shifting.

Front derailleur looked like junk

Rear cassette interesting. Single piece of milled aluminium abd lighter than Dura Ace

Initialised | 4 years ago
0 likes

I might get this for a Zwift only bkke.

jaylonip17 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Adding a comment on this thread. Sensah Empire will work with your existing Shimano 105-Dura Ace Groupset as well as Sram Force and Red Groupset. Unsolicited review here. Shifting is good and crisp. A major downside to this is the Front Derailleur which does not have trimming.

As per writing this comment the manufacturer has already put out a whole groupsent including cogs, chain, and Crankset. They are yet to be tried by me

All in all it's a good cheap alternative to the higher end groupset. I don't agree that it is higher than 105 tho. The components are, I admit, a bit lighter but the full integration and ease to replace parts are still hard to come by unlike the bigger brand groupset manufacturers.

bikezero | 5 years ago
1 like

NEWS NOT GOOD ABOUT MicroNEW..

Official MicroSHIFT say MicroNEW are counterfeit

please see here in the comments..

https://road.cc/content/forum/254023-microshift-r-series-r8r9-groupset

Watch out even buying MicroSHIFT products from Amazon or elsewhere because of the sellers on Amazon selling MicroNEW shifters, some of those same sellers also sell MicroSHIFT groupsets.

If looking to buy any Microshift, I would advise contacting them (service @ microshift.com) and asking for the official dealer(s) in your country.

bikezero | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeh, those 'buy it right, don't buy it twice' sort of expressions....often best heeded as you suggest.

Noticed this morning on Amazon there are also 2x8/9 versions of the shifters sold as SENSAH Reflex and SENSAH Ignite... both appearing identical less the name printed on lever as if to offer the buyer a choice of which name he/she might like more.

As a side i also emailed Microshift today to ask about MicroNEW... another shifter all over amazon which looks identical to MicroSHIFT R series shifters, right down to the logo design.

I'll be sure to update if they reply.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
1 like

If you want to be the 'guinnea pig'  go for it

Saying 'too good to be true' or 'do it right do it once' or 'buy cheap, buy twice'

Shimano or Sram, actually just stick with Shimano  4

bikezero | 5 years ago
0 likes

I like how their “about us” appears pretty much lifted word for word from the Microshift about us, except they say their brand is made up of people with more than 10 years experience in the bicycle industry (instead of 20).
If I had a second half decent spare frame around I’d probably buy it, just to find out how good (or not so good) it feels compared to Microshift’s budget groupset which I love.
Though I don’t have any SRAM stuff and the supposed non-compatibility with Shimano (if that’s the case) would break that idea.
I see people saying Sram and Shimano aren’t compatible, but I wonder then how is it that Microshift can claim to be 100% both Shimano and Sram compatible?
I’m afraid to say after getting a lot of bike parts lately, I’m becoming a fetishist (all with the fact standing I’m only starting to build my very first bike presently with some new Microshift)
Looking at the Empire just shows the extent to which my sickness has now reached.
Only joking. I hope it’s good and I’d be kind of enthusiastic after learning that Microshift seems to actually be pretty damn decent instead of the rubbish performance- or at least short term durability- I thought it would deliver when I got it on my first bike a couple of years ago.
Somebody buy the Empire please and put it on a bike and tell all!

huntswheelers | 5 years ago
0 likes

Looking at it...(Youtube).. it has the looks of Shimano for shifters and Sram for Derailleurs...... and has double tap.... Never heard of these before... but could be a decent group providing they are not made of cheese and they change the name to something more European sounding/sporting feel//////

Latest Comments