Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Microshift R series (R8,R9) groupset

Quite a few reviews and discussions online about Microshift, mostly very positive (less the somewhat negative Centos review by this site) although they all seem to focus around their upper end of groupsets like the (now discontinued, I believe) "Bona", the "Centos" and their current top of the range "Arsis" (what a name, wow).

Would welcome feedback about any of their groupsets but i wondered if other people out there have used the R series and what are your experiences/opinions?
For me the triple speed R series groupset has performed flawlessly on my Triban 500 for almost 2 years. Seems smooth and very satisying to use.

How do you think it stands up to say Tourney and Claris though? I'd be willing to bet is definitely does beat Tourney in terms of feel?
Also being even slightly cheaper priced than Tourney (even after you add in something like a Claris chainwheel and cassette- 2 parts which are not included in a Microshift groupset) could it be the best budget groupset option on the market?

Again would be great to know anybody's experience with R series, and especially interesting if it was a person who had compared it to modern Tourney and Claris.
Currently on amazon.com there is a Chinese based seller distributing the Microshift R8 groupset brand new for $125+$4 shipping to Europe. Without asking, they mark value low on package so you are charged no tax on arrival. 118 euro total on my card for the brand new shifters and deraileurs with cables. That's a pretty good deal. Add a budget cassette, chain, calipers and chainwheel (Claris or whatever), calipers, chain and you are dusted with a complete groupset for not much more than 200 euro. Definitely cheaper than a complete Tourney groupset.

And a side question that doesn't seem to have been answered yet online is who are "MicroNEW"? It appears like a recently surfaced spin-off brand, but is it legit? (part of Microshift) or a knock off?
Certainly not sure I'd feel comfortable buying anything by "MicroNEW"..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

bikezero | 5 years ago
0 likes

*IMPORTANT UPDATE*

Bad if not hugely surprising news about MicroNEW..

I've had a prompt response from the official MicroSHIFT saying they are counterfeit and that they don't recommend buying them as the levers can break prematurely.

Service @ microshift.com for any further questions.

Sadly that casts some doubt on the legitimacy of other MicroSHIFT R8 levers being sold on Amazon from external sellers, particularly chinese based, including the ones i bought and as good as plugged above, since of the few sellers retailing them, including the seller i bought from, they are selling both MicroShift and MicroNew products.

Watch out. Obviously i won't be buying another pair.

Again, Service @ microshift.com for any further questions is what the brand told me.

In the future if looking to buy any Microshift products, i'd email them and ask for the official dealer(s) in your country.

p.s. looking forward to get my new R8 on my bike and see how they perform and feel compared to the previous authentic set that was fitted on my BTWIN Triban 500.

Hopefully i'm still around later down the road to update on their longterm durability- or lack thereof- too.

My sincere apologies if anybody bought them in last days on account of my initial post.

bikezero | 5 years ago
0 likes

Wow, and an informed opinion, exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for the input. Interesting mention about the budget Sunrace levers too..i was only looking at detailed pics of them last week and thinking the shifting design looked perhaps the same.

Good mind to buy yet another r8 groupset now for backup..

huntswheelers | 5 years ago
0 likes

having all groupsets and part groupsets through the workshop inc Italian and electronic ones.... I'd say the Microshift variants are easily as good and if not better, as the Shimano ones you mention.... simple, work flawlessly and cable swaps are easy.... Sunrace have the same design levers too....  I must say I am pretty surprised that Microshift is not more widely used to be honest but then many cyclists are fickle. 

Latest Comments