Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike Advice

Been very happily riding a Triban 500SE for the last few years but looking to upgrade to something new (particularly looking for an upgrade in the groupset department as the Microshift stuff on the 500 is OK and robust but very clunky). 

I think I have boiled it down to two that appeal in my price range (originally £800 max, but could possibly go to £1000 at a pinch), with those two being the B'Twin Ultra 900AF (£800, full Shimano 105) and the Boardman SLR 8.9 (£1000, full Shimano Tiagra). 

My instinct is the B'Twin, not just because of the price, but my experience with the 500 gives me confidence in how the Ultra will ride and moving to the 105 groupset seems like a good move. 

However, the Boardman looks like a really good bet, full carbon for a grand and still with a significant improvement in groupset over what I currently have. 

Any thoughts from the floor?

David

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

mtbtomo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Even Claris now has cables under the bar tape and has the same shape/appearance as Tiagra/105/Ultegra and even the chainsets are now external BB/hollowtech 2 style. Don't know if Decathlon go as low as Claris.

Out of the box, I am very impressed, and usually I wouldn't go lower than 105. But for commuting Claris seems spot on, so long as I don't want to swap kit between my 105/Ultegra equipped bikes.

Kendalred | 5 years ago
0 likes

Looking at the DEcathlon site, it seesm like the carbon road frameset (Ultra CF) is £999, but the same frameset built up to a full 105 bike is ony £400 more expensive? I am presuming it's the same frameset for both as advertised frame and fork weights are exactly the same.

£400 for 105 groupset, wheels and finishing kit? Why would anyone buy the frameset on it's own?

Joe Totale replied to Kendalred | 5 years ago
0 likes

KendalRed wrote:

Looking at the DEcathlon site, it seesm like the carbon road frameset (Ultra CF) is £999, but the same frameset built up to a full 105 bike is ony £400 more expensive? I am presuming it's the same frameset for both as advertised frame and fork weights are exactly the same.

£400 for 105 groupset, wheels and finishing kit? Why would anyone buy the frameset on it's own?

For £1000 more you can buy the frame with Mavic Cosmic Carbon's and full Ultegra. Either that or the one you highlighted are far better value than the frame itself although it's a cracking frame. Maybe if it was a bit cheaper it'd be a great choice if you want to build a dream bike. 

Jimthebikeguy.com | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you can afford it, go for the btwin af with the ultegra groupset. Its a much better bike overall in terms of kit and build. In fact its a complete steal. Get this years version though, not the one with the brake underneath the rear. And make sure decathlon dont assemble it for you, unless you dont mind loose fixings.

Judge dreadful | 5 years ago
0 likes

The 900 AF is a very good bike. I have a 720AF, and it’s been an amazing servant. Don’t forget, you get a lifetime frame and forks warranty from Decathlon with that bike as well.

JamesHalford2k18 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Did you know the most important part of bike maintenance is understanding how to look after your chain? We explain how to maintain your chain and the rest of your bike in this handy blog post. https://www.probiketool.com/us/the-four-fundamentals-of-basic-bike-maint...

hawkinspeter replied to JamesHalford2k18 | 5 years ago
1 like

JamesHalford2k18 wrote:

Did you know the most important part of bike maintenance is understanding how to look after your chain? We explain how to maintain your chain and the rest of your bike in this handy blog post. https://www.probiketool.com/us/the-four-fundamentals-of-basic-bike-maint...

Did you know the most important part of spamming links is to just flood lots of forum topics?

Jetmans Dad | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all ... yeah I had forgotten about the new range. Guess that does change things ... and I agree, the Adept Plus looks very good indeed. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

There's a couple of bike shops offloading full carbon branded 10 speed bikes (5700) from a couple of years ago for £500-550, one was a corratec, the other a bottechia. If frame size suited, flog the drivetrain and upgrade, that said I never found 5700 wanting to be honest, not epic but a good workhorse every day group you can rely on. You could sell a 105 pull off group for £200, that leaves you a ton of money to buy what you want.

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
0 likes

Read this RoadCC article - Head to head: Shimano Tiagra v Shimano 105 R7000

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/210617-head-head-shimano-tiagra-v-s...

FlyingPenguin | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got the carbon Boardman and it's a cracking bike for the money. Yes it's Tiagra, but it works really well. Do consider swapping at least the brake pads out though.

I've not ridden the 900AF so, like Duncann, I'd obviously recommend a test ride of both, but given the money is in the frame for the Boardman I would probably suggest the 900AF if you don't intend to upgrade components over time (e.g. when they wear out), the 8.9c if you do.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

New Tribans

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/237871-sneak-peek-decathlons-2019-disc...

Due in store any day now. Sora or 105 groups, both an upgrade over the Microshift, and better wheels too.

freetime101 replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

New Tribans

Due in store any day now. Sora or 105 groups, both an upgrade over the Microshift, and better wheels too.

The rumour mill was right then! The Adept plus looks interesting as a "do-it-all" work horse...

fixation80 replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

New Tribans

I was in Decathlon last week and was amazed to see a Sora equipped bike with gear cables under the bar tape.

freetime101 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I heard that Decathlon is dropping the Btwin name and releasing new bikes in early October (so any day now...) could be worth waiting a week or two to see what they are?

Dnnnnnn replied to freetime101 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Freetime101 wrote:

I heard that Decathlon is dropping the Btwin name and releasing new bikes in early October (so any day now...) could be worth waiting a week or two to see what they are?

Could mean good discounts on the Btwins... (as if they aren't deccent enough value atm!)

Boardmans are also good value. Worth test rising both to see which 'feels' better.

freetime101 replied to Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

Could mean good discounts on the Btwins... (as if they aren't deccent enough value atm!)

That's my plan - wait for the 540 to go on sale...

Latest Comments