Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best Quality Bike RepairStand for £30-£60?

Had a look on ebay/amazon, tons of very similar models there, all of them looks like made out of cheese with reviews stating that everything just brakes on them.
I really despise  poor quality tools ,so Not entertained by the ''good value for money'' junk Lidl stuff as well.
Is there anything in this budget that is well built and will last & last and provide good ergonomic service?
Would be good if it's semi-foldable so doesn't takes up much space when not in use.
Can you get something like that in this budget?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Been using and Aldi or Lidl one (can't remember) for years now and it still does what I want.

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Halfords 'Bikehut' repair stand looks the same as my Aldi one, for the same price, currently available for £32.

Its fine for the money, but the seatpost clamp on mine can only be operated with two hands which is annoying (and easily fixed if I could get round to it!).  It could be that this has been modified with newer models, but I'd suggest checking.

It folds up but is still quite bulky and heavy.  Sturdy though...

Fri | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought this one a few weeks ago on recommendation from a friend who has had the same one for a while.  Its great in my opinion, quick release works well and is sturdy. Mates dad has similar but not quick release and he says that's a deal breaker for him, much more fiddly and not as robust.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-home-mechanic-workstand-workshop-mat/?sku=100218690

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have one from Black Dog Bikes (?) via Amazon that set me back £40 5 years ago if my email account is to be believed. It’s served me well through multiple builds, rebuilds, cleans, repairs...

Bishop0151 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've had great use out of this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirty-BICYCLE-MECHANICS-MOUNTAIN-PROFESSIONAL/d...

With four feet it's as solid as you need and I've had it supporting an old steel hybrid that was perhaps 20 kg without any problems.

It all folds away into a small package that sit in the cournour of our spare room, perhaps 30 x 30 x 100 cm if you take the horizontal arm out.

For the price I've been plesantly surprised at it's durability and robustness. I've never bothered upgrading, I don't need to.

mike the bike | 5 years ago
1 like

Don't be too quick to rubbish the cheap German stuff.  My £50 Lidl stand is at least ten years old and is as good as new.  OK, it lacks a quick release clamp and it is rather heavy but everything functions well and it came with a handy magnetic tool tray.  It folds away in three seconds and unfolds in ten, perfectly satisfactory for the amateur.   I would really miss it if a couple of Russian tourists nicked it whilst trying to find Salisbury cathedral.

dooderooni | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm more than happy with the Bike Hut workstand I got from Halfords. It's stable, easy to put up/down and store and with the addition of some old innertubes around the jaws it holds onto the seatpost well and keeps the bike in position while you're washing or working on it. 

While one from Park Tools might be much better quality, in my experience, stuff at the cheaper pricepoints usually does what you need as long as you're not too ham-fisted. I know some people who wreck tools and equipment in weeks that I've used for years without issue and their perception of "quality" will be somewhat different from mine. 

gthornton101 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got an Elite Spindoctor Essential which I picked up cheap off ebay.   Solid enough to hold my hybrid lump of a winter bike as well as my road bike, and folds up very compact to sit in the corner of shed when not in use.  Only downside is awkward to clean in and around the BB due to how the bike sits on the stand, but otherwise for the money can't knock it at all.

I think they are about £80-90 new but you should be able to get one for at least half that secondhand.

TheHungryGhost | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got one of these, which works for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BDBikes-Mounted-Repair-Plates-Storage/dp/B005GA...

MIne's an older model with a screw closure rather than the quick clamp on this one.

Its sturdy, comes with 2 mount plates.  Ive got one in the garage, and one outside.  

Its cheap, and takes up no space - I use it as a bike stand when I'm not using it for fettling.

longassballs | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you're not so hot on the Aldi/Lidl options, which are okay as long you add some foam to the jaws, might I suggest this?

//www.damourbicycle.com/sites/default/files/berp/images/product/5020016.jpg)

https://www.amazon.com/BUZZ-RACK-BUZZRACK-Eco-Workstand/dp/B06XGJ16Y2

Unfortunately they won't deliver to UK and is only sold by one place here got £70 which isn't so attractive. No moving parts to break but you can't use it on a carbon seat post.

Saying that I love my Feedback Sports Sprint and can't recommend it enough. So much so that I'll probably end up getting the Elite too sooner raher than later. They're worth the money

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
1 like

I've read that the stands Aldi and Lidl occasionally sell are remarkably good. Haven't tried one myself though.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

There's a Buyer's Guide here

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/170135-10-best-cycling-workstands

Not a huge amount of help in your budget range. I've got one from Decathlon that's seen me through three bike builds and lives outside in all weathers - it's finally starting to give up the ghost so I'm saving up for something better.

Latest Comments