Home

I see that a company based in the Yorkshire Dales is going to launch this product early next year. Do we think it might have potential for cyclists? Maybe with a stiff cleated sole? www.360textiles.com and www.360waterproofshoes.co.uk.

24 comments

Avatar
andrew@fortunel... [2 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

The target price is <£99

Avatar
fenix [1051 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

They've still got big holes in the top where you put your feet ?

Avatar
alansmurphy [1868 posts] 9 months ago
9 likes

Is this just 'a company' Andrew that you have stumbled on or your company:

Phone our Sales Director, Andrew Bottomley, on +44 (0)7956 774815

I'd really prefer to invest money in honest people rather than those looking for any angle.

As a bit of product feedback, they look shit. They look like cheap imports copying the major shoe brands. Many cyclists are looking for something with a more solid sole, a wipe clean finish and maybe a bit of style.

I'm out!

Avatar
harragan [244 posts] 9 months ago
6 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

Is this just 'a company' Andrew that you have stumbled on or your company: Phone our Sales Director, Andrew Bottomley, on +44 (0)7956 774815 I'd really prefer to invest money in honest people rather than those looking for any angle. As a bit of product feedback, they look shit. They look like cheap imports copying the major shoe brands. Many cyclists are looking for something with a more solid sole, a wipe clean finish and maybe a bit of style. I'm out!

Judging by his username he's more likely to be Andrew Robert Fortune, who is the Company Secretary and Director.  His wife is also named as a Director.  

Come on Andrew, you could have simply been honest and got some honest feedback.  Now you come across as deceitful and untrustworthy.  I doubt you wanted that associated with your company.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1868 posts] 9 months ago
6 likes

"I see that a company based in the Yorkshire Dales is going to launch this product early next year. Do we think it might have potential for cyclists?"

I see that a company is very different from "I own a company". And do we think is suggesting he is a mere mortal like you and I.

A simple "hi, the company I have set up has a material that I think would be good for cycling shoes..." would be more honest and open.

Deceitful and untrustworthy.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [2365 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

@alansmurphy - fair point, so I've deleted my earlier comment that supported him.

I don't think it's worthwhile for him to produce cycle shoes - it's a tough market and he'd be better off trying to get established cycle shoe manufacturers to use his material (if it's any better than gore-tex).

Avatar
don simon [2530 posts] 9 months ago
8 likes

Might be worth a punt if this material is bullet proof too. Less damage when one shoots oneself in the foot.

Avatar
KendalRed [220 posts] 9 months ago
4 likes

Well even though this is a bit of a cack-handed approach to marketing (the email address above is linked to the same address as 360 Textiles), I will still have a good look at the shoes.

As a vegan, good quality vegan shoes are like rocking-horse shit. Not particularly bothered about cycling shoes tbh, cycling shoes tend to be made out of man-made materials anyway, and Gore-Tex cycling shoes aren't exactly rare.

Andrew - if I were you I'd stick to walking shoes/trail running/fell running shoes/trainers if I were you. And be honest about your intentions in future posts!

Avatar
turboprannet [303 posts] 9 months ago
5 likes

this went well.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1868 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

Sorry hp, wasn't having a go at you as such, I do feel it's a bit of a ham fisted approach to getting feedback.

 

Even some of the Chinese importers manage to whack a link to survey monkey up  1

 

Avatar
bendertherobot [1529 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Well, aside from the ham fisted approach to marketing, have a look at what Giro and Fizik have already one in this area.

Avatar
andrew@fortunel... [2 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses.

For winter road cycling in the Dales, I am currently using a pair of waterproof breathable socks, my summer cleated shoes and a really good overshoe from Sealskinz. This all works ok but is a bit of a time-consuming effort to assemble. I have looked at winter cycling boots but these seem heavy and uncomfortable.

My business - 360 Textiles - is a specialist in waterproof breathable membranes. We are developing a high quality leasure shoe which is knitted and contains a stretchy waterproof breathable PU membrane. I believe Goretex use PTFE which doesn't stretch like PU and which is why currently there are no other knitted waterproof shoes around.

My aim was to see whether our proposed shoe could combine with a waterproof sock to replicate my existing cycling set-up but which would be much easier and quicker to change into. The shoes wash really easily due to the inherent waterproofing. They are also much comfier than hard leather or other waterproof shoes/boots (but this might mean they are not stiff enough for cycling).They are also incredably light.

We are conducting some wearer trials and I wonder whether any cyclists think, like me, that there is a potential market for a knitted waterproof shoe, perhaps with a cleated sole or perhaps with a Vibram sole containing a mountain bike style cleat.

As this is a cyclists forum, perhaps some fellow cyclists might be able to offer their thoughts?

I am not asking anyone here to buy anything - the shoe isn't available for sale currently in any case. 

If all our wearer trials prove successful, we are planning to launch a Kickstarter in the New Year.

Further comments would be most welcome.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [2365 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

A stretchy fabric wouldn't be most cyclists choice for a shoe as you don't want your foot to move around in the shoe. I'd imagine that it might be better suited for the more 'casual' cyclist as in someone who prefers comfort over power. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in that unless the amount of movement can be limited.

Avatar
Podc [107 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

I'd be interested. I cycle in running shoes and my feet get cold and wet when it's ummm cold and wet. Would prefer a grippy sole rather than cleats (flat pedals). Would also prefer a low heel to toe drop - less than 8mm.

Avatar
pjm60 [56 posts] 9 months ago
6 likes
andrew [at] fortuneltd.co.uk wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

 

 

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? It comes across much more genuine than the "I see that a company..." nonsense.

Avatar
srchar [996 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

I can't believe people still make these silly mistakes in 2017. They are always found out in short order.

Avatar
RoubaixCube [86 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

This thread should be deleted. sales pitch was too disingenuous. Guy who happens to 'stumble across' a website is also the owner who is plugging his own business. 

Avatar
CygnusX1 [921 posts] 9 months ago
3 likes
RoubaixCube wrote:

This thread should be deleted. sales pitch was too disingenuous. Guy who happens to 'stumble across' a website is also the owner who is plugging his own business. 

Why? He's been outed, and come clean (although an apology for the disingenious first post would have been nice).
I don't have a problem with small businesses asking for feedback from cyclists to help them innovate - its good for competition and we benefit from improved kit.
As long as they remember where they got their feedback from and throw some advertising revenue road.cc's way when they launch, and maybe some give aways.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1868 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

If they have some of the trainers ready on their website then I'd be happy to test these from an 'uppers' viewpoint. A quick ride on flats in wet weather would quickly tell a product innovation team whether it's even worth thinking about soles, cleats etc.

The other option with this wonder fabric would surely be overshoes...

Avatar
Canyon48 [1054 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Well, that went down like a lead balloon.

 

In all seriousness though, there's no need to pretend that you just came across that company when you are from that company - it comes across as a bit suspicious.

Some feedback; for the asking price of somewhere below £99, I got myself some Shimano RW5 waterproof shoes. Ok, they aren't waterproof when it's really chucking it down, but then the water just runs down my legs into the shoes anyway - so it might be a fairly tough sell.

Avatar
philhubbard [150 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes
andrew [at] fortuneltd.co.uk wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

For winter road cycling in the Dales, I am currently using a pair of waterproof breathable socks, my summer cleated shoes and a really good overshoe from Sealskinz. This all works ok but is a bit of a time-consuming effort to assemble. I have looked at winter cycling boots but these seem heavy and uncomfortable.

My business - 360 Textiles - is a specialist in waterproof breathable membranes. We are developing a high quality leasure shoe which is knitted and contains a stretchy waterproof breathable PU membrane. I believe Goretex use PTFE which doesn't stretch like PU and which is why currently there are no other knitted waterproof shoes around.

My aim was to see whether our proposed shoe could combine with a waterproof sock to replicate my existing cycling set-up but which would be much easier and quicker to change into. The shoes wash really easily due to the inherent waterproofing. They are also much comfier than hard leather or other waterproof shoes/boots (but this might mean they are not stiff enough for cycling).They are also incredably light.

We are conducting some wearer trials and I wonder whether any cyclists think, like me, that there is a potential market for a knitted waterproof shoe, perhaps with a cleated sole or perhaps with a Vibram sole containing a mountain bike style cleat.

As this is a cyclists forum, perhaps some fellow cyclists might be able to offer their thoughts?

I am not asking anyone here to buy anything - the shoe isn't available for sale currently in any case. 

If all our wearer trials prove successful, we are planning to launch a Kickstarter in the New Year.

Further comments would be most welcome.

 

If you are using PU uppers with a membrane can I ask how you are stiching the shoes? I only ask from a durability point of view as the tape will generally stretch and leak

Avatar
davel [2501 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes
andrew [at] fortuneltd.co.uk wrote:

Further comments would be most welcome.

OK.

This sort of shit plagues kickstarter. Disingenuous to begin with, and when called on it, minor back-pedalling to spin your initial dishonesty, without apologising or even acknowledging how it could come across.

How it does come across is dishonest. You need a personality transplant or to get someone completely different on your kickstarter campaign.

 

Avatar
ClubSmed [701 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

Initial miscommunication (deception) aside, I rather like the idea.
They look not dissimilar from my Nike free running shoes that I use when taking my bike out for functional journeys (shops, school run, meet up etc.). I like using them as the soft flexible sole allows it to flex around the raised clipless element in the pedals and remove any discomfort and the look good. The main disadvantage is that they are not waterproof at all, in fact they seem to attract and soak in water. This is not ideal when hitting the puddles on the way and has resulted in me wearing sealskinz socks with them quite often to mitigate it but is still not ideal.
Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Avatar
SingleSpeed [429 posts] 9 months ago
1 like

I saw 100% vegan and then I was out.

 

 

 

Edit:

 

 

 

hahaha I just saw the bellend tried to lie on an internet forum and got called out straight away