Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Edge 810 - Switching itself off, keep or exchange? What other options?

Hi all

I have a Garmin Edge 810 which is still within its 12 month warranty period.  I’ve used it only a few times since buying it because of the winter nights but now I want to use it for longer more exploring rides.  So I want to use the navigation function.  I’ve installed the open maps and using a ride I have done before created a course.

Although I can use the 810 for recording a ride, every time I have used it to navigate a course it switches off.  It did this several times, I thought that there could be an issue with the courses, but I did a sportive and used the gpx file and it crashed and switched itself off again. 

I’ve emailed Garmin Tech Support and they said update the software and do a master reset, which I did and tried using it again.  3 minutes into navigating a ride it stopped working and switched itself off.

I can send it back I know, but it does seem that it could be quite good, if it worked.  My question is should I persevere and try and get it fixed or am I best sending it back and trying something else?

If so what else, in the £200 or below price bracket?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

tugglesthegreat | 7 years ago
1 like

For reference my Garmin Edge 810 still didn't work after being referbished, so I got my money back from the retailer under the waranty.  All in all very disapointed in the product.

MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mines done that a couple of times, along with freezing and or not saving a ride. Have to (grudgingly) admit that installing the latest version of the Garmin Express and updating the software seems to have (fingers crossed) fixed it. For now at least. For reference its 3 years old, and once the app started to work properly to upload rides, I'd stopped bothering to plug it in other to add routes, which I do using strava mostly and droping them in the 'new' folder once it mounts. Seems more reliable than using Garmin conect. 

rnick | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd persevere, a little before sending it back.  My edge touring+ has just done this.  I'm not sure if this is related to the most recent firmware upgrade or the recent use an HRM.  Is the SD card out of space - I had to upgrade mine to allow map updates to complete?  I've done the occasional factory reset which seems to sort the odd gremlin out.  It seems the "niggles" with Garmin are just something we're supposed to live with.

tugglesthegreat replied to rnick | 7 years ago
0 likes

rnick wrote:

I'd persevere, a little before sending it back.  My edge touring+ has just done this.  I'm not sure if this is related to the most recent firmware upgrade or the recent use an HRM.  Is the SD card out of space - I had to upgrade mine to allow map updates to complete?  I've done the occasional factory reset which seems to sort the odd gremlin out.  It seems the "niggles" with Garmin are just something we're supposed to live with.

Shouldn't need to live with niggles, and switching off isn't what I would call a niggle!  It's bad to hear so many people are having a bad time with them. 

brakesmadly | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mine started doing that after I updated the firmware. Rolled it back to 5.0 and it's been fine.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps re-install the firmware?

My 800 started playing up a few months ago - recording the data but not showing anything accurate on-screen, frozen maps etc, and yes, it switched itself off once. I reformatted my SD, but that made no difference.

In a slight panic, I reinstalled the firmware, even though I was on the latest version. Since then, all has been well.

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd second the comments on trying different maps and reformatting/replacing the SD card - I have had similar problems on my Edge 800 a small number of times and I suspect it may have been the SD card that was the problem.

arckuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

Reformatting the SD card might help you here - I have had similar issues with my 810 before (crashed while following a course, then would switch off pretty soon after booting). Reformat your card - probably best to avoid doing a quick format - and then reinstall your open route maps. Might not work, but shouldn't take too long to try!

DoctorFish | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had a Garmin Touring Plus that had Garmins own mapping.  It was good until it started randomly crashing.  I tried reinstalling maps, I tried master resets, I tried saving rides to the SD card, I tried saving them to the device.  It would always revert back to random crashes, and then take ages to turn back on, corrupt the ride data, and get the elevation wrong.

I gave up.  I now have a Wahoo Elemnt which is really good by comparison.  No crashing, maps (black and white) are really clear.  Various LED notification for upcoming turns and others to show heart rate or current speed compared to average.  Syncs via wifi with RWGPS which I use for route planning, and connects to the phone via bluetooth.  I certainly have no plans to go back to another Garmin unit after I've seen how good the Elemnt is in comparison.  Really easy to set up and use.

tugglesthegreat replied to DoctorFish | 7 years ago
0 likes

DoctorFish wrote:

I had a Garmin Touring Plus that had Garmins own mapping.  It was good until it started randomly crashing.  I tried reinstalling maps, I tried master resets, I tried saving rides to the SD card, I tried saving them to the device.  It would always revert back to random crashes, and then take ages to turn back on, corrupt the ride data, and get the elevation wrong.

I gave up.  I now have a Wahoo Elemnt which is really good by comparison.  No crashing, maps (black and white) are really clear.  Various LED notification for upcoming turns and others to show heart rate or current speed compared to average.  Syncs via wifi with RWGPS which I use for route planning, and connects to the phone via bluetooth.  I certainly have no plans to go back to another Garmin unit after I've seen how good the Elemnt is in comparison.  Really easy to set up and use.

Crashing with Garmins own mapping!  That really isn't good.  Well, I've got some other things to try and whatever Garmin tech support come back to me with.  I'll give it some more tries and then decide.  Will read up on the Whahoo Element, I do like what I've seen the Edge 810 can do on videos, but all this faffing is too much like work.     

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

Send it back as it is under warranty

Garmin normally dont send you your unit back instead they send you a new/refurbished one the same day they receive yours then they fix/refurbish your broken one ready for the next time a faulty one comes back

Even when your Garmin is out of warranty they will take it back and sell you a refurbished one for £75

kevvjj | 7 years ago
1 like

It's under warranty. I would send it back to get it checked out.

I believe though, that your issue is with your 'open maps' and not the courses you are trying to navigate with (I speak from personal experience). Have you tried to reinstall the maps? For free open source maps I can recommend Talky Toaster (talkytoaster.co.uk). His free maps with contours are very reliable.

Secondly, you could also try and reinstall the maps on another SD card as a faulty SD card will cause the issues you are having.

My experiences with Garmin support and warranty in the past have been most positive - if the unit is faulty they will replace it with no hassle.

It's a great unit and there really isn'y any other brand that comes close.

tugglesthegreat replied to kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

kevvjj wrote:

It's under warranty. I would send it back to get it checked out.

I believe though, that your issue is with your 'open maps' and not the courses you are trying to navigate with (I speak from personal experience). Have you tried to reinstall the maps? For free open source maps I can recommend Talky Toaster (talkytoaster.co.uk). His free maps with contours are very reliable.

Secondly, you could also try and reinstall the maps on another SD card as a faulty SD card will cause the issues you are having.

My experiences with Garmin support and warranty in the past have been most positive - if the unit is faulty they will replace it with no hassle.

It's a great unit and there really isn'y any other brand that comes close.

I've downloaded te talky toaster map, so I'll try that.  If that doesn't work, I'll try it on the SD card from my camera.

Once I've ruled these out, I'll send it back.

Thanks will let you know how I get on.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd chop it in for something else mate. I had an Edge 200 that I loved. When it died, I bought an Edge 20 which I also love. I also have an Edge Touring Plus, however, that's the biggest pile of dog doo da I've ever wasted money one. Once they've got your money, Garmin really couldn't care less.

Latest Comments