Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Building up a frankenstein of a bike (Franken-Bike)

So I am curious about mixing and matching shimano 7/8/9 speed components. I am (re)building up an old Cannondale R500. I have the original Shimano RSX/Sora mix but I have a newer Ritchie 9spd wheelset and mtn cassette and a 9 speed tiagra right shifter.

1. Can I just change out the chain and shifter,put on the wheels and adjust the rear derailleur?
2. Will the 7 speed have the range?
3. Also the 7 speed rear derailleur is a long cage (for a triple), will that work on a 11-32 cassette or will I need a mtn rear derailleur (I have an old Alivio) or will the shifter then not work?!?

Can you see why I am calling this a Franken-bike! Why am I doing this you ask? Because the original right 7speed shifter is not functioning and more importantly I am basically broke and can't afford a "real" bike or "real" upgrades.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

fbhidy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Sweet! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe even post pics when it's done!

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

should be no problems with a double and a long cage mech, whatever the cassette...

fbhidy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I am running a double up front, 52-32 I think. I'm at work so I can't check it until I get home.

I am hoping to use it for general road riding and I am out of shape. So I'm hoping the low gearing on the Mtn cassette will help get my fat rear-end up the hills around the Finger Lakes of New York State.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Can I just change out the chain and shifter,put on the wheels and adjust the rear derailleur?

you should be able to, yes. there's no indexing in the rear mech and it should have plenty reach for a nine speed cassette.

Quote:

Also the 7 speed rear derailleur is a long cage (for a triple), will that work on a 11-32 cassette or will I need a mtn rear derailleur (I have an old Alivio) or will the shifter then not work?!?

are you running a triple (53/39/30) and an 11-32 cassette? if so that's a capacity of 44 teeth which is more than any road mech, triple or not, will be designed to cope with - most long cage road mechs are around 36T capacity. Having said that, it'll be fine. fit the chain so that it has the capacity for the big chainring to big sprocket ratio - the length of chain that it needs to go round those two cogs, plus two extra links. you won't be able to use the small sprockets in the granny ring, but you don't need to anyway. And don't use the big-big ratio either, it's bad for the chain  1

Latest Comments